4" bubble cap column

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nconner1
Novice

4" bubble cap column

Post by nconner1 »

I finished my 4" column today and am very excited to see how it performs. A big thanks to Olddog and Samohon for the inspiration and plans. I am reusing the dephlegmator and shotgun condenser from my previous 2" packed column. I have the materials to build a 4" dephleg but am curious to see if the 2" I have will work, I think it will. My first sacrificial run is going to be some Birdwatchers sugar wash. Once I learn how to drive this thing I planning on making some bourbon and rye. I scorched my first attempt at an all grain potato vodka so I hope the bourbon and rye turn out better than the first AG attempt.
Attachments
column 7.jpg
column 6.jpg
column 5.jpg
column 3.jpg
column 2.jpg
column 1.jpg
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: 4" bubble cap column

Post by Oldvine Zin »

Nice looking build :thumbup: But not sure if I understand how the plate disable system works?

OVZ
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Very nice mate :thumbup: . Love the work on the plates, another member yummyrum did some.of olddogs Weirs too, says they work well from.memory, always wanted to try them but look to hard to.make. Good luck with the run.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Very nice work with building of the column.. but confused about the plates.. are they just staking one on top of the other in the column ??

Keep us informed on how it works.. especially the 2" reflux condenser..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Nice! Where would I find the plans and specs for those bubble plates?
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

Nice job nconner ... I'm sure you will be very happy . LOL I recon is probably impossable to flood those down comers , while operating this still you will never come close .
:D
aircarbonarc wrote:Nice! Where would I find the plans and specs for those bubble plates?
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 17&t=20947
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Yummyrum wrote:Nice job nconner ... I'm sure you will be very happy . LOL I recon is probably impossable to flood those down comers , while operating this still you will never come close .
Those down comer trays remind me of the ones in oil and gas towers.

Thanks for the link!
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

aircarbonarc wrote:
Yummyrum wrote:Nice job nconner ... I'm sure you will be very happy . LOL I recon is probably impossable to flood those down comers , while operating this still you will never come close .
Those down comer trays remind me of the ones in oil and gas towers.

Thanks for the link!
No worries ... well strangley enough the same technology is used in most commercial distilleries too
Just that we have seen so many flute builds done with round tube downcomers that maybe we have forgotten . :wink:

I have to admit that Olddogs mark two was my inspiration too .
Although I went with perforated plates , I made his weir downcomers with the smiley face :thumbup:

I hope you find the plate disabling useful nconner1 . I opted for modular but am always having to brake it downandbuild it up ..... plate disabling would have been so much easier.... guess the olddog was onto a thing or two
nconner1
Novice

Post by nconner1 »

Oldvine Zin wrote:Nice looking build :thumbup: But not sure if I understand how the plate disable system works?

OVZ
If you want to disable a plate you open the valve for that plate and it will drain back into the boiler. If you close the valve above the trap the liquid from the upper disabled plates can be directed to the lowest open plate. I'm not sure how often I will direct the liquid to other plates but I thought it might be nice to experiment with.
StillerBoy wrote:Very nice work with building of the column.. but confused about the plates.. are they just staking one on top of the other in the column ??

Keep us informed on how it works.. especially the 2" reflux condenser..

Mars
The weirs alternate sides so one side will have the bottom of the weir on the top of the plate and the other side will have the dam.
Attachments
weir detail.png
Oldvine Zin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oldvine Zin »

nconner1 wrote: If you want to disable a plate you open the valve for that plate and it will drain back into the boiler. If you close the valve above the trap the liquid from the upper disabled plates can be directed to the lowest open plate. I'm not sure how often I will direct the liquid to other plates but I thought it might be nice to experiment with.
OK the p trap had me confused :econfused: and I thought that a three way valve would be better suited for plate disabling.

Good luck and tell use how she runs :thumbup:

OVZ
shadylane
Master of Distillation

Post by shadylane »

nconner1 wrote: If you want to disable a plate you open the valve for that plate and it will drain back into the boiler. If you close the valve above the trap the liquid from the upper disabled plates can be directed to the lowest open plate.
Haven't thought of doing that before.
Keep on experimenting :thumbup: