Berserk's bubble ball build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Berserk
Bootlegger

Berserk's bubble ball build

Post by Berserk »

My current rig is a 1.25"/35mm CM sitting on a 30L keg with a ~2000W water heating element. In it's current iteration it works just fine in pot still mode, but is excruciatingly slow and prone to flooding/puking when run with packing as a CM.
So I thought building a bubble ball could be a fun solution. Changing to a 2" column would probably be better in the long run, and is my next step once the ball is complete.

But now, onto the ball! So far I have gathered some materials. Most of it is scrap and bits and bobs I had lying around. I have the 'ball' (actually some kind of copper flower pot), a copper cone (used to sit on a roof), a copper plate with a motif, some 2" tri-clamp fittings as well as lengths of 1/2" and 3/4" pipe to build the caps. I still wait for a circle glass cutter to create the sight glass.

I have read a lot about both bubble balls, torpedos as well as bubble caps. PP's FU-MAN is a great inspiration and the thread contains very useful info.
The plan is to create a 8" plate, for no other reason than it being the diameter of the flower pot opening, with 5 bubble caps and one downcomer. The caps are 1/2" upcomers with 3/4" caps, 2" high. The downcomer will be either 1/2" or 3/4", I'm not entirely sure which one is best, so I might go with the bigger one to err on the side of caution.

My progress so far is modest. I have finished 2 bubble caps (expect for a little soldering).
I think now is a good time to warn you that these are butt ugly. They were quite simple to create though. I used the instructions in this thread: Custom Bubble Cap Tray Fabrication, but instead of using actual pipe caps I cut and hammered down the side of some 3/4" pipe to create my own taller caps.
DSC_0083re.jpg
DSC_0083re.jpg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 1532 times
DSC_0086re.jpg
As you can see in the photo I opted to go for taller caps. As far as I have gathered, a deeper liquid bed leads to a more neutral liquor, while a shallower one lets more flavour carry over. The intention is to make neutral. If I have understood things correctly, the liquid should never be over the top of the bubble cap, which lead to these tall caps. The slots cut into the bottom are 5mm. There's a few mm of clearance to the plate as a safety precaution against pukes etc.

What do you think? Advice and criticism is more than welcome, I'm here to learn :)

Cheers,
Berserk
Cheers,
Berserk

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind.
But he who sticks out in darkness is fluorescent!