Re: NEW STILL

Post by Still Life »

Looks exciting!
Drive it yet?
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Nice Rona bucket condenser, you Canadian also!?
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I like it. Is that a shotgun on the big keg for stripping? Looks like you are set up to charge the boiler leaving the thumper empty ,strip using the condenser(shotgun or not) on the primary boiler directly into the thumper, drain and recharge the primary boiler,drain the condenser, and run as a pot& thumper with the worm condenser. Did I get it right? Or is there also a reflux condenser up top and a bit of packing in the riser to up the proof some on the way to the thumper...which would explain the riser height.
Either way, I like it. Good build.
Jbt
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

looks good. but as JB I too am wondering about the high column, it it for reflux or just that it was practical?
Also you seem to have insulated the wrong part of it, I'd insulate the column and leave the shotty uninsulated.
Looks like you are ok with amount of water you can recirculate for the bucket, 1 cubic meter should be enough :)
Don't be a dick
diesel1975
Novice

Re: NEW STILL version.05

Post by diesel1975 »

Yes it's been ran a few times. Over all Iam happy with this setup finally after at least 5 still modifications. The only thing Iam missing is a parrot which is already built but now I need to raise everything. It's just a pot still with a leibeig condenser which I don't use in the winter because it's too cold up here in Alberta. I can save water up here in Alberta with snow for my condenser. As for the thumper I just add the tails from the previous run. Iam finding the flakestand a little small for this setup but with the in/out water lines seems ok. As for the colum I only slightly pack with copper mesh to get a cleaner product.
piperdave
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by piperdave »

I'm from Alberta as well. I use electric and a 38 inch over 42 inch (3/4 over 1/2 inch) liebig and distill indoors. I fill up 4 liter milk jugs and freeze them outside and use that to keep my water cool as necessary. Doesn't quite work that way in the summer.
If you can't be a good example, at least be a terrible warning
diesel1975
Novice

Re: NEW STILL version.05

Post by diesel1975 »

diesel1975 wrote:Yes it's been ran a few times. Over all Iam happy with this setup finally after at least 5 still modifications. The only thing Iam missing is a parrot which is already built but now I need to raise everything. It's just a pot still with a leibeig condenser which I don't use in the winter because it's too cold up here in Alberta. As for the thumper I just add the tails from the previous run. Iam finding the flakestand a little small for this setup but with the in/out water lines seems ok. As for the column I only slightly pack with copper mesh to get a cleaner product.