My Science Project

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BlackStrap
Swill Maker

My Science Project

Post by BlackStrap »

How it began (my personal version :roll: )
A fouled batch of wine and wondering what could I do with this, not wanting to toss it away…I began reading…and so this hobby began…with a 5 gallon stainless pot and some copper and lots of reading, and more reading. (My first still was a 5 gallon stainless pot still simple crude, but put out some smooth spirits.)

Of things always grow, next step… Buy a decommissioned keg off the local distributor, I’m practicing my solder and welding skills, first time soldering in a plumbing type environment… You’ll never learn if you don’t try, Everything that would come in contact with either liquid or vapor on this rig is either Stainless, Copper, glass (I know glass thumpers are frowned upon…)

Starting with the keg it’s a ½ barrel stainless, with a keg to column Tri clamp adapter from Mile Hi distilling, soldering the 1 ½ stainless FPT to the keg I was able to add the ULWD 5500W heating element. (screws right in) also adding 2, ½ stainless FPT ports 1) for a drain, the other because I had ordered 2 maybe use this for a site gauge, time will tell.

The column is a 42in. long x 2in. dia. Adding ½ copper tubing the runs into then out of the column to give some sort of reflux, I added a 1in dia. tubing between the inlet and outlet of 90 degrees offset to allow airflow, and to break up the vapor path, I’ve not added any packing to the column as of yet, but purchased 1lb pure copper netting for when I do.

The vapor is then passed off to the Thumper through ½ tubing. I had a custom stainless plate made to accommodate the ½ dia. tubing inlet and outlet and a 3/8 dia. valved back to the column should his Thumper become full (this prevents puke over from having a small Thumper, and provides additional reflux) From time to time I will precharge the thumper for that extra flavor, a couple cinnamon sticks, or a tablespoon of Vanilla or Almond extract. (when charging the thumper this way a lot goes along way)

I miss my worm, but decided on a Liebig design using 1in dia. 32 in long over a “crimped” ½ dia. 46in long total…(for added turbulence, I added solid copper wire into the “crimped” 12/ dia. tubing.) this maybe a slight over kill, but I wanted to make sure I’m getting 100% vapor condensed back to liquid.

My goal in running this type of rig is I wanted the option to run my homemade blackberry and apple wines, along with running an all Malted all grain (100% malted grain bill) though… but without completely stripping the flavor… I’m shooting for a single run of 160 – 170 proof.

Almost forgot details on the control box, This was a hard lesson learned for me, 1) did not understand that I wanted to control the amount of heat applied to the keg, not maintain temperature when distilling… a PID controller would normally be used for creating your mash for ferment, where you need to hold a steady temperature for a period of time… So I wired up my control box with a 240v PID using an SSR and K type thermo probe, this is run off its own 30amp breaker, the pump is run off 110v along with the cooling fan built into the control box, In order to run a still I added to the existing PID control a SSVR and Honeywell pot dial… When running the 50/50 vinegar cleaning run, it went from 52 degrees to collection on the other end of the parrot, in less than an hour. (water valve was off to the column in this situation)

I’m fortunate enough to live with a supportive wife (who would rather drink my wine, but I can’t fault her for that, it’s all good) and I have access to great water PH of 6 and no chemicals added, I also have seasoned Red, American White Oak available for aging…

My advice to those new to picking up this hobby, READ, Investigate, learn from those that have sound advice, and take notes!
If anyone wants to ask about details, because that's where the :twisted: devil is....Questions are always free it's the answers that will cost ya... seriously though, ask.
9-Tray-Drying-Rack - Copy.jpg
Drying Heater view.jpg
Converted-Corona-Mill - Copy.jpg
Keg-Rig - Copy.jpg
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Still Life
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: My Science Project

Post by Still Life »

Excellent post.
Have to admire your set up.
All that build is really gonna pay off for you.
Kudos!
StillerBoy
Master of Distillation

Post by StillerBoy »

Excellent setup, write up and workmanship..
Thanks for posting your work and I am sure it will be of great assistance to all..

Mars
" I know quite certainly that I myself have no special talent. Curiosity, Obsession and dogged endurance, combined with self-criticism, have brought me to my knowledge and understanding "

– Albert Einstein
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Beautiful workmanship.

A few questions, if I may.

Would you describe how the mill works, please?

Don't the cross tubes make it hard to pack the column?

Would you describe the product path after the liebig? I don't see how it gets to the parrot.

Where is the thumper?
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Im going to guess. The thumper is to the top right of the coloum. It's hard to make out because its glass. If so aside from being glass its way too small. Beautiful work though.
I thought i was wrong once,
But then i found out i was mistaken.

Kill the women, and rape the men.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Reply to SKOW69
Would you describe how the mill works, please?
The motor is 110v 3250 rpm (it's what i had laying around) belt connected to a right angle gear reduction box they were going to throw away at a local shop (lucky snag for me). the grinder spins at roughly 40-60 rpms...I've connected this to a shaft with a 14mm socket welded on the end that connects to a jam nut where the handle would normally be on the corona style hand mill...I've added pictures.
IMAG0472 - copy.jpg
IMAG0473 - Copy.jpg
IMAG0474 - Copy.jpg

I pack the column very loose, before attaching to the still packing goes between the cross tubes, can be inserted and removed with a copper wire.

The end of the Liebig rest on a cup 1in x 1/2in reducer going into the parrot
IMAG0469 - Copy.jpg
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

reply to Lyonsie and skow69 questions and answers about the Thumper.

While I knew the Thumper would be small... This one being a 1 gallon tempered glass. (It is one similar to those that would be used for canning, built for the stresses of boiling and cooling) I had a stainless thumper originally, it was of the antique pressure cooker design... it was wider than it was tall...(ahh it did what it needed to do I guess. I just didn't like it and it was $5 at a flea market :roll: )

My take on a thumper is you want it taller than wider so as the vapors bubble through the liquid they pick up flavor... This Thumper works great for what I need it to do and I can see it in action...

This glass Thumper has made made 13 runs as this was originally a replacement on the 5 gallon pot still. I've inverted and modified this thumper to accommodate the drain valve,
IMAG0471 - Copy.jpg
which drains back into the column at which point would act as an additional reflux action, and went from 3/8in. od. tubing to 1/2 in od. tubing... I used to also have lead free brass connection from the still to the thumper and thumper to worm...those also have been replaced with 1/2 copper threaded couplings...the thumper rests on a stainless plate I had laser cut to the dimension I drew up for them... :ewink: These are the friends that are nice to have around.
IMAG0468 - Copy.jpg

BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Lyonsie wrote:Im going to guess. The thumper is to the top right of the coloum. It's hard to make out because its glass. If so aside from being glass its way too small. Beautiful work though.
What by definition would the thumper be to small?

I hear it posted and stated on here all the time the size of the thumper should be 1/3 to 1/2 the size of the still.

Is there a reason that this is a rule of thumb?

Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Depending on what you put through it, it could fill and eventually puke. This seems to be used more as a gin basket though.

BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

I have put in some preventative measures to prevent filling up and a possible puke over... In the picture below you'll notice a 1/2 in dia going from the left to the gin basket. the vapor outlet would be 1/2 in dia. coming out toward you before connection to the liebig and taking a downward angle between those is a 3/8 in dia with a valve (it is the shiny thing between the blue lines.)
IMAG0468 - Copy.jpg
Normally this would be closed during operation, unless the gin basket would become full...then turn the valve and drain the contents back into the column for redistillation... It does add about 10 proof points, than if I were to run without it. and is a fail safe to contain solids before entering the liebig.

Below was the inspiration for this contraption
mason.jpg
Would you call this then an Offset Plate design? (beings it has a return line for redistillation )

yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Ok so can you elaborate about your malting process and specifically about your drying setup and timeline.
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

I usually malt Barley, Winter Wheat, Rye, and Corn...
I soak them in water for 12 hours then give the grains about a 2 hours dry time, then soak them again for another 12 hours or so...I'm looking for the grain to start to "chit" a small white dot will appear on the end of the grain...

then move to "growing" stage

I use 2 clear totes 15 in x 22 in with lids after the grains have soaked and started to "chit" spread them out in the totes, the secret is not to let them dry out, but not over wet them they start to rot, keep them covered as well, it helps keep moisture in... I usually mist them with a spray bottle once a day, rotating them from one tote to the next, twice a day misting if necessary... this process can take 5-7 days depending on heat/humidity. You are looking for the growth of the endosperm. Barley is different because the endosperm is inside the hull. (google is your friend here)

Wheat and rye it is on the outside...I usually let endosperm get 75% - 100% of the length of the grain on average...(you'll notice some will be longer others not as long...

Corn on the other hand...is tricky, careful where you purchase your seeds, if they were dried in a heater as some of the larger grain mills do. it kills any chance those seed had to germinate. This is usually done because this corn is destined for feed stock, and will not sprout well. My advice for corn is to find a farmer with a corn crib this has been my best results so far. soak the corn the same as you would the other grains but when you place the corn onto the totes, rotate more often but gently, try not to break the rootlets off... Also corn you will want to let germinate to where the growth of the enosperm has a 2" - 3" shoot...

The grains have been malted and now ready to dehydrate.

The dehydrator that i build has a two cheap heaters pushing heat through, in the top I placed to 12v computer fans to draw the heated air through the grains... I roughly put 3 pounds of grain on each tray (just make it even you don't have to weigh the grains)...(the more trays in use the longer the drying time) currently I use 4 trays but this dehydrator will hold 9... using 4 trays I can dry 12 pounds of grain in about 10-12 hours. I have a thermometer ( try not going over 110 degrees) this is located the side of the dehydrator. My thoughts are that I would rather take more time drying then dry to quickly killing off those precious natural enzymes... also rotate the trays in the dehydrator every 3 - 4 hours for an even dry... I will usually test a couple grains from each tray to determine if they are dry enough, they will have a slight crunch when they are ready... if they are soft they are not dried enough and will start to go bad if you do not intend on using them with in a day or two...

from there you have all your malted grains to create your 100% malted grain bill

some have asked why malt everything... my answer is simple ... Malted grain carries over more flavor, It does require more work and time...For me I'm looking for quality, I want something you can't just buy off the shelf...

If you ever get the chance to...taste a grain that comes straight from the mill...hard lacks flavor, now try a grain you've just malted... a lot more earthy grainy flavors, that will carry over into your spirit.

You can skip the drying step if you are going to mash right away, grinding while the grain is "green" as they would say does give an even more flavor carry over. in my opinion.

hope that helps, Thanks for asking

MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

I like it ...Jar thumpers are a no no, but I've always thought they are neat and have my own 1/2 gallon Ball jar thumper I made some yrs ago but haven't ever used ...I love seein folks post their stuff, their designs, their views, and kudos to you for showing your jar thumper ..Ifn for the design point of view.

Here's my design and mantle piece for now.
IMG_20170305_123013-1-1-1-1.jpg
IMG_20170305_123013-1-1-1-1.jpg (15.39 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
IMG_20170305_123110-1-1-1.jpg
IMG_20170305_125138-1-1.jpg
You know how I love pics.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

I started out with one similar to the one you posted, it had 3/8 in od iinlet and outlet.

I like having this new design it is a 80 oz. (comes out to a 5/8 gallon) it works great with the 15 gallon keg still, and because because there is a line that returns is back to the column to be redistilled, as long as I'm paying attention I just turn the valve and it drains back...I'm thinking this design would make it called a Manual Offset Plate.
(This contraption is not a traditional thumper, or gin basket, but acts more like a plate in a column, but this one is "offset")
IMAG0477 - Copy.jpg
IMAG0478 - Copy.jpg
IMAG0476 - Copy.jpg
IMAG0475 - Copy.jpg
IMAG0468 - Copy.jpg
I like seeing pictures too, give me ideas making things.

skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I dunno, B.S., it kinda seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for a 2 quart thumper. What supports the weight?
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

skow69 wrote:I dunno, B.S., it kinda seems like a lot of hoops to jump through for a 2 quart thumper. What supports the weight?

In my application this is not run as a traditional thumper, This is run as an Offset Plate, and it does raise proof, similar to that of a bubble plate.... If the Offset Plate is precharged it would then become something similar to that of a gin basket, or like a essence still designed for collecting essences...(an example would be if I wanted a Peach, Cinnamon flavored shine without lowering the proof by adding peach juice and a cinnamon stick..all one needs to do with this is empty a jar of peaches and a cinnamon stick right in the Offset Plate.) the alcohol blends well as it bubbles up through the mix giving a nice but not overpowering flavor. There is a lot of versatility for all the hoops...

bottom line is I like it. Could it be better? Sure. There's always run for improvement, but why throw the baby out with the bath water?

I know it sounds like a lot skow96... I'll explain how this Offset plate came about.

1) I'm unable to justify a purchase for a complete still unit (for a lot of reasons) and (I would also miss out on the lessons of building one myself)

2) I also believe in interchangeability (I can take this Offset Plate, and convert it back to a traditional thumper for my 5 gallon pot still just by switching the lids.) I can also run without it...So other than time and some simple materials it wasn't a huge waste if it would not have worked out.

3) I have seen all glass laboratory still,http://www.heartmagic.com/EssentialDistiller.html This type of glass is suitable to go from a cool state to rapid boil without cracking or shattering, and is only dangerous with sudden heat changes or by being dropped or hit with a hard object. I see site glasses like these in use http://stilldragon.com/index.php/sight-tower.html Extra safety is required when using glass, no open flame sources as both my keg still and 5 gallon still are electric powered...

4) The best feature this Offset Plate has, is the return line. Open the valve should the vessel become full, and it empties back to the column to redistill while continuing to stay running....(no down time for a thumper puke because it became over full. Another thing is, because it's offset this design acts as a slobber box should the still boil over, this will catch any solids before they cloud final spirit.

Although support is not needed... it was accounted for, the extra long 1/4 x 20 all thread located at the bottom of the Offset Plate were left long for this reason... They can be used to attach a support rod from the Offset Plate to the top of the keg rim... Once this Offset Plate to the keg still is attached it is very secure....
However support on the 5 gallon still is a block of wood... :shifty:

Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

You had me interested up until you mentioned your glass thumper. There's no reason to risk lives unnecessarily when you obviously have the skills to fashion the same from metal. Put a sight glass on it if you need to see inside.

I hate being 'that guy'. And this is nothing personal, but newbies reading this will want to copy you, will use any old mason jar they happen to have, will have it shatter... lets not take the risk eh?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Sorry, man, but it's a thumper. It can't act like a plate because there is no forced reflux above it. But whatever we call it, if it fits the bill for you, that's the important part.

Cheers.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Thank You skow69;
I sometimes get tripped up on terminology...I'd be happy to call this thing a thumper

I've been reading through posts today, a lot of yours have popped up, :egeek: very interesting.
Been looking up definitions also... Seems to be lots of terminology variations of designs that are similar, maybe the locations of where you are from, or what you grew up with...that kind of thing.

Did pick up a new term to add to my vocabulary...Carter-head now those have an interesting design.

I'm just trying to learn a bit here...
To be considered a plate it has to be below forced reflux?

8) \_/ cheers to you also...

skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Ya. Plates won't load without reflux.
I've been reading through posts today, a lot of yours have popped up, :egeek: very interesting.
Oh no. I remember asking some really stupid questions and saying some really dumb shit in the early days.
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Mikey-moo wrote:You had me interested up until you mentioned your glass thumper. There's no reason to risk lives unnecessarily when you obviously have the skills to fashion the same from metal. Put a sight glass on it if you need to see inside.

I hate being 'that guy'. And this is nothing personal, but newbies reading this will want to copy you, will use any old mason jar they happen to have, will have it shatter... lets not take the risk eh?

I have thought about this long and hard
Mikey-moo i do respect your opinion... and I'm glad you are taking an approach about safety in this hobby to those starting out ...honestly though if you want to take a no risk view... tell them save their money, go to the liqueur store purchase what they want legally and safely...

seriously if they get to the point that they are coping me and what i post and they have survived through the dangers of mixing electric with water, and extremely flammable vapors with an open flame... REALLY man..must I continue? How about jail time and extreme fines? I guess at that point they lived through the explosion, maybe not caused by glass, but by careless cleaning of the lines being plugged by nasty stuff caught up in the vapor path in the condenser...I honestly do wish safety and successes to new comers...and i stress read research and read some more... but to criticize me for using glass when i did my homework and research.. well your opinion is just that an opinion. Did you even bother going to the links i posted? Do you know what a site glass is made of ? seriously what is the chemical makeup so that newbies can read this post and be safe...i mean if you are going to throw things out there for safety...post the whys and why they shouldn't so they know better.

BayouShine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BayouShine »

BlackStrap wrote:Did you even bother going to the links i posted? Do you know what a site glass is made of ? seriously what is the chemical makeup so that newbies can read this post and be safe...i mean if you are going to throw things out there for safety...post the whys and why they shouldn't so they know better.
Not all glass is created equally.

The sight glasses you listed are made of Borosillicate Glass.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borosilicate_glass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Mason jars are made of Soda-Lime glass
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda-lime_glass" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Soda-lime glass is NOT resistant to thermal shock. This is where the danger lies. If you crack or break this type of glass when the jar is full of distillate, you put yourself and anyone around you at a risk of fire or explosion.

You can do as you wish, but please refrain from promoting this as a safe way to build a still.
Lyonsie
Swill Maker

Post by Lyonsie »

Expect a pm calling you stupid for talking sence :lol:

BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

BayouShine, Lyonsie, and Mikey-moo

I deserved that, and it's what I had asked for... literally
Great post with the links BayouShine Explaining the differences and reasons why NOT to use just any old glass jar.
a great example of corrective criticism. :wink: I honestly would hate to promote a safety hazard...

My apologies Mikey-moo for my out burst (temper tantrum) thrown your way, and your all are correct.
Allow me to reiterate your point, I believe it's an important one "Don't take unnecessary chances if you don't have to" & "The promotion of substandard equipment, and practices should be cautioned against"

I have a piece of copper tubing, I may rethink my design and materials to eliminate glass.
Mikey-moo - Put a sight glass on it if you need to see inside.
I have some ideas, :think: floating around in my head...

Catch ya all on the flip side. :wave: Thank you all!!!

Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

No worries. BayouShine explained it much better than I did :-)

I look forward to the pics of your new build!
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!