Moderator: Site Moderator

CirBeer
Novice

Parrot

Post by CirBeer »

My new parrot.
Attachments
64aeeb7b-d92b-4201-a80c-19baefbb808a.jpg
Novice Distiller, Intermediate Brewer, Expert Drinker!
cranky
Master of Distillation

Re: Parrot

Post by cranky »

I'm curious, since you used unions and reducers where the beak meets the overflow, do you have trouble with it holding product in that bit? It looks to me like it would contribute to smearing.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

A bit overdone for a hobby size still ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

Have you ever watched the low abv tails drop down through a glass vessel at the end of a run. I reckon the same thing will happen in your inlet tube because it is too wide.
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

Its a fine looking parrot , nice clean soldering :thumbup: I reckon it will work just fine.
It is worth remembering if you ever build another, that the less volume it holds the less smearing you will get and the more accurate the ABV reading will be at any given time.
wiifm
Admin

Post by wiifm »

Thumbs up from me. Very nice construction quality. Did y ou tig any of the joins by any chance?
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

was just going to say the same, some of the joints looked tigged, the SS foot to copper joint is very nicely done indeed.
Don't be a dick
BlackStrap
Swill Maker

Post by BlackStrap »

Very nice on the construction :thumbup: CirBeer... (Great advice on the effects of volume and smearing) :egeek: The thought of smearing cuts didn't cross my mind, at least not in the headlights. :idea:

(If this bottom part of this post should not go here, Please remove it and let instruct me on where something like this should go...Thank You)

Seeing CirBeer's Parrot, and the responses, makes me ask a question from those who know about the use of a parrot.

I use a parrot, When I first start up my runs though, I collect the 4 shots, from the end of condenser, without the parrot, then place the Parrot inline for collection...My theory is I don't want to smear the 4 shots with the heads and the rest of the run.

Is my thinking correct?
Most questions can be answered here http://homedistiller.org/ and here http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46

The one who cuts the firewood gets twice the warmth
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

@BlackStrap, yep that is a sound practice.
Even better if you don't smear the heads in to the hearts, you'll always have some level of smearing with a parrot.
I've never used one, but just made one up and will do a few runs with it just to see how the ABV progresses during a run.
Don't be a dick
CirBeer
Novice

Post by CirBeer »

cranky wrote:I'm curious, since you used unions and reducers where the beak meets the overflow, do you have trouble with it holding product in that bit? It looks to me like it would contribute to smearing.
When I put this together it was from odds and ends I had laying around, I did not take a lot of how the joints would function against the flow into account. It does however seem to flow quite nicely though I have only tried it in the bath tub with a low trickle. I'm very new to this art so I do not know what smearing means, and this is why I probably should have looked at more than just peoples pictures of their parrot builds before trying my own, I have read up on everything else thourghly.
Truckinbutch wrote:A bit overdone for a hobby size still ?
It was a first time build which I figured fit under my condensor so I didn't think it was overkill, I will learn from this mistake.
NZChris wrote:Have you ever watched the low abv tails drop down through a glass vessel at the end of a run. I reckon the same thing will happen in your inlet tube because it is too wide.
No I have not, I have a lot to learn which is why I'm here.
Saltbush Bill wrote:Its a fine looking parrot , nice clean soldering :thumbup: I reckon it will work just fine.
It is worth remembering if you ever build another, that the less volume it holds the less smearing you will get and the more accurate the ABV reading will be at any given time.
Thank you! Regarding the size of it, yea that makes so much sense now. This was built off looking at pictures of parrots and trying t replicate what thought was a good build for me. My journey has just started and I guess this will make a nice ornament in my mancave :)
wiifm wrote:Thumbs up from me. Very nice construction quality. Did y ou tig any of the joins by any chance?
Thank you! Yea I tigged a few joints that didn't need to be silver soldered in the construction.
Swedish Pride wrote:was just going to say the same, some of the joints looked tigged, the SS foot to copper joint is very nicely done indeed.
Thank you my fellow Paddy!
BlackStrap wrote:Very nice on the construction :thumbup: CirBeer... (Great advice on the effects of volume and smearing) :egeek: The thought of smearing cuts didn't cross my mind, at least not in the headlights. :idea:

(If this bottom part of this post should not go here, Please remove it and let instruct me on where something like this should go...Thank You)

Seeing CirBeer's Parrot, and the responses, makes me ask a question from those who know about the use of a parrot.

I use a parrot, When I first start up my runs though, I collect the 4 shots, from the end of condenser, without the parrot, then place the Parrot inline for collection...My theory is I don't want to smear the 4 shots with the heads and the rest of the run.

Is my thinking correct?
Thank you and thank you doe the advice I appreciate that a lot!
Novice Distiller, Intermediate Brewer, Expert Drinker!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I had no intention to diss you in my first comment . My suggestion was that it held more volume than necessary for a hobby size still and could enhance smearing . My own will hold 250 ml before I insert my proof and trails hydrometer . It was purpose built for the hydrometer .
As you said ; it was your first attempt . There is no one here that can claim that they got it all right the first time .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
WIski
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WIski »

CB,

You got a rockin cool parrot. I wish I could join bits that nice. Very nice craftsmanship! :clap:
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

What filler did you use on the copper to stainless TIG joint. Always looking to learn . Very nice fabrication skills throughout the build.
MidniteOne51
Novice

Post by MidniteOne51 »

Looks good! Just built mine this week... waiting for the wash to finish so i can finally use it!
Attachments
20170310_010803.png