tips for legs on a bottom drain keggle?

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Massassi
Bootlegger

tips for legs on a bottom drain keggle?

Post by Massassi »

so when I built my electric boiler I flipped the keg so that I would have a 2" drain, and I had a 8" TC ferrule welded on top. this allowed me to get access for cleaning and all of that.

my problem though, is that I've never had a good system for holding the thing up. I've mostly been using milk crates or buckets with holes in them and its a pain in the ass. those of you who have this kind of a setup, what are you doing to have that height offset? welding some nuts on the bottom and using carriage bolts or couch feet comes to mind. maybe even some casters in some way. I was considering cutting up a short 30l keg by removing top and bottom as well as big cut outs on the sides but that's a waste of a keg, and then some kind of a bracket and wing nut so that they get linked together when being moved ...and while I'm sure that the height loss on those setups wont be a problem - I also need to be able to put it a bit higher for when I'm doing a beer.
HDNB
Site Mod

Re: tips for legs on a bottom drain keggle?

Post by HDNB »

three or 4 sticks of angle iron with a circle of rebar welded to them, one circle to support it around the centre with some straps and another circle of rebar to girdle it. if you need height adjustment you can just lap 2 pieces of angle iron, drill holes and bolt them together.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

15" wheel rim and bricks to gain the height you need for your drain .Google wheel rim burner for some pics .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

Stitch weld 4 even pieces of Angle iron to the skirt on the base, and use some 1 1/2 inch flat bar as bracing.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
ShineRunner
Swill Maker

Post by ShineRunner »

I made a rolling cart/stand for my thumper with bottom drain. It's nice to be able to move it out of the way if I need to. Just a simple cart with 2x4 laid one way and pallet wood laying across the other way. 2x4 running vertical and 2x4 platform for the keg. Cross brace diagonal across the back and it's solid. Made it tall enough to put a bucket underneath for draining or storage.

SR
Badmotivator
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Badmotivator »

I built a cabinet to hold my keg up. Check my signature for the link. Mine is built to be moved by a hand truck.

Lotta good options here!
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Use three legs, not four.
Three will compensate for any unevenness in the floor, whatever.
Four will not and the whole thing will wobble.
Geoff
The Baker
Massassi
Bootlegger

Post by Massassi »

thanks guys. I might try that wheel rim thing. I think I have an old aluminum one around somewhere.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

I used a wheel rim for a gas burner stand.
Geoff
The Baker
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

US kegs have holes predrilled into the rim on the top and bottom. I made these holes just a little bigger and used casters. Works great and is easily moveable. You may need bigger casters for good drain placement
Casters attached to keg
Casters attached to keg
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

rgreen2002 wrote:US kegs have holes predrilled into the rim on the top and bottom. I made these holes just a little bigger and used casters. Works great and is easily moveable. You may need bigger casters for good drain placement
wheels.jpg
:thumbup: I like that idea for non propane fired stills .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Truckinbutch wrote:
rgreen2002 wrote:US kegs have holes predrilled into the rim on the top and bottom. I made these holes just a little bigger and used casters. Works great and is easily moveable. You may need bigger casters for good drain placement
wheels.jpg
:thumbup: I like that idea for non propane fired stills .
I would think that if you were running propane you wouldn't have a bottom drain..... I will admit i never really thought about that one before having always run electric (I sure as hell don't trust myself with fire... :mrgreen: )
HD Glossary - Open this
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
Massassi
Bootlegger

Post by Massassi »

I ended up repurposing the cart that my ancient shop vac was built into (when it died) it works great
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Massassi wrote:I ended up repurposing the cart that my ancient shop vac was built into (when it died) it works great
Well don't just tease us about it..... give us a look! :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I went the cart route and put the drain under it.

AC
Attachments
cart mod with still.JPG
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

AC, I love that HD wall artwork. And even in plum!
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I would think that if you were running propane you wouldn't have a bottom drain..... I will admit i never really thought about that one before having always run electric (I sure as hell don't trust myself with fire... :mrgreen: )
My boiler is socketed in a wheel rim support on top of a 60k btu burner . I had to locate the drain at the lowest point I could get a weld spud in place on the side . Takes a little extra flushing when I drain it . Otherwise , it works well .
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Here's a stand I am putting together for my keg boiler. Three legs to make leveling easier, one fixed and two adjustable. Welded out of 1" angle into an octagon. Threaded brass adjusters, stainless legs and nylon feet. Also a view of my drain assembly. Plan on utilizing the existing holes in the keg rim to bolt the stand onto the keg. Not yet cleaned, primed and painted.
IMG_1348.JPG
IMG_1349.JPG
IMG_1351.JPG
IMG_1350.JPG
----------
Zed

When the Student is ready, the Master will appear.
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

Looks good Zed. I did the same thing with the casters. Enlarged the existing holes and thread the casters in there. I can adjust the heights the same way as you have here.
HD Glossary - Open this
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

rgreen2002 wrote:Looks good Zed. I did the same thing with the casters. Enlarged the existing holes and thread the casters in there. I can adjust the heights the same way as you have here.
Me too. Works a treat.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
jfowler99
Novice

Post by jfowler99 »

That looks great. Ill have to do that. On the keg will silver soldering work as I dont have a tig. the colomn would always be attached to the threaded hole already in the keg. just the caps, and attachmnets to go back and forth from the thumpet would be silver soldered
zed255
Distiller

Post by zed255 »

Soldering, brazing or welding are all applicable in still building. Which process is best / most desirable depends and what is available to you and the specific application, but there isn't much you can't accomplish with a good silver bearing plumber's solder and an acid flux.
----------
Zed

cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

zed255 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:00 pm Soldering, brazing or welding are all applicable in still building. Which process is best / most desirable depends and what is available to you and the specific application, but there isn't much you can't accomplish with a good silver bearing plumber's solder and an acid flux.
there is also no reason that you can't bolt or screw anything you want to the bottom rim.
be water my friend
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Expat »

cob wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:34 pm
zed255 wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 3:00 pm Soldering, brazing or welding are all applicable in still building. Which process is best / most desirable depends and what is available to you and the specific application, but there isn't much you can't accomplish with a good silver bearing plumber's solder and an acid flux.
there is also no reason that you can't bolt or screw anything you want to the bottom rim.
+1 just need a decent cobalt drill bit to expand the existing holes, to install 3 casters. Works easy

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by zed255 »

I understood that jfowler99 was asking about other attachments like port ferrules, not the stand itself. A little off topic, but I answered to it. The stand is best bolted on in my opinion, and in my example is bolted on.
----------
Zed

jfowler99
Novice

Post by jfowler99 »

Zed , yes thank you. I can tig but only my work has one I I must refrain from bringing kegs into work lol!!! But thank you yes I was looking mor at the silver soldering of the other attacments. All this has been a world of help
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

I'm with you there Zed I wish the folks neebes that never sweat a joint copper to stainless or stainless to stainless would stop would stop weighing in with bad information. I am saying this to make yall look in to Soldering a be for you say welding is safer and stronger.