Starting a thumper build

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

nuggetnut
Novice

Starting a thumper build

Post by nuggetnut »

Picking up a 1/6 barrel keg tomorrow to turn it onto a thumper for my keg still. When I built my column and condenser I put in 2 unions, a 1" and a 1/2". I'm planning on using all 1/2" for my inlet (feed) to the thumper, and for the discharge side that feeds the condenser. Coming off the 1/2" union I already have will be the path of least resistance and also be the most economical.
My questions are,
1. Is using all 1/2" ok to feed a thumper? I'm running a keg still with a 2" riser. I would think if anything the vapors will enter the thumper with more force due to being reduced down from 2, to 1 to 1/2".
2. When running a keg (pot) still with a thumper inline, is it best to go low and slow, or stripping run speed?
3. About how far off the bottom of the thumper should the inlet pipe be.
4. How much charge should I put in the thumper?

Iv'e look at all kinds of pictures and diagrams on google, amazon, & ebay. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason with most..
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Starting a thumper build

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'll repeat what I have posted before and other stillers have copied and dubbed 'The Truckinbutch method'.
Come off that keg boiler with 2" and transition to 1" on the way to a keg thumper . 15.5 x 15.5 gallons . 2" triclamp at the thumper with 1" down comer to the bottom of the thumper with a bird's mouth cut into it .
1" fill port and 1" vapor outlet that transitions into a 1/2" at the liebig condenser .
There are several threads that diagram the plumbing . I've been rather sketchy here because of that .
That double keg setup will double what you can strip because you can load the boiler and thumper 12 gallons each . Little thumpers do not give you that versatility .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
panikry83
Swill Maker

Post by panikry83 »

Truckinbutch wrote:I'll repeat what I have posted before and other stillers have copied and dubbed 'The Truckinbutch method'.
Come off that keg boiler with 2" and transition to 1" on the way to a keg thumper . 15.5 x 15.5 gallons . 2" triclamp at the thumper with 1" down comer to the bottom of the thumper with a bird's mouth cut into it .
1" fill port and 1" vapor outlet that transitions into a 1/2" at the liebig condenser .
There are several threads that diagram the plumbing . I've been rather sketchy here because of that .
That double keg setup will double what you can strip because you can load the boiler and thumper 12 gallons each . Little thumpers do not give you that versatility .
Second this, I have not used mine yet, but this build is what I have waiting for me and it's sound
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

This works well.
Attachments
THUMPER CONNECTION.png
THUMPER CONNECTION.png (14.59 KiB) Viewed 1524 times
Blah, blah, blah,........
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Funny: I just today finished making a thumperhead for one of my 10-l-boilers. Like FreeMountainHermits.
2017-05-06-04.JPG
So I now have two 10-litre boilers or a 10-litre boiler and a 10-litre thumper.
nuggetnut
Novice

Post by nuggetnut »

here's the completed project. I've been busy as hell and chomping at the bit to get some spare time to knock it out. I'm pretty happy with it. Now to do another cleaning run... Also, don't mind the mess in my garage, had 2 kids move back home in the past couple of weeks and shits everywhere... :x
Attachments
20170510_221720-1a.jpg