My 2in modular still

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Bvritr
Novice

My 2in modular still

Post by Bvritr »

Well after plenty of reading i decided on a 2in copper/SS set up on top of a keg. Since i currently have limited resources ive had to buy most of the components. Copper spool, stainless shotgun, T and elbow fitting (on its way) picked up a sight glass just cause. At least i was able to make my own parrot
I see myself using it as a pot still mostly but like the option of a ccvm if i choose to. I plan on adding a drain and bungs for electric heating in the future. Plus gotta shine everything up to look good.
Heres what i have so far and will add pictures as i get em.
2017-05-06 00.59.06.jpg
2017-05-06 01.02.32.jpg
2017-05-06 01.05.01.jpg
kimbodious
Distiller

Re: My 2in modular still

Post by kimbodious »

you are well on the way Bvitr! Check out the CCVM design by DAD300, highly recommended!
--
50L Beer keg boiler, 2200W element
Modular 2" Pot Still
opinions are free and everybody has them, experience costs you time
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

You need a short section of spool, say 10-12" for the RC for a CCVM design. Get yourself something to act as an encap. With that short spool section tee elbow endcap and product condenser you've got your pot still! That is the beauty of going modular so many of the pieces can be used in different configurations!
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Bvritr
Novice

Post by Bvritr »

Dad300s post is what got me to order the tee elbow and having that option. Kimbodious, yep i still need the short spool. Ill probably do a few pot still runs and then try my first reflux run.
Bvritr
Novice

Post by Bvritr »

UPS man dropped off my tri clamps today and i was able to mock everything up real quick. I still need a short spool and condenser for CCVM but i plan on the first couple runs as a pot still anyways since thats what im used to.
First pass at cleaning up the keg
2017-05-12 01.32.40.jpg
And everything mocked up.
2017-05-13 18.17.01.jpg
kimbodious
Distiller

Post by kimbodious »

looking good :thumbup:
--
Modular 2" Pot Still
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

Looks good.. :thumbup:
I like the shotgun configuration, even a vent before the parrot is taken care of.
That thing could also knock down the vapor from a 3" column...with ease.
Yep, you still need a short spool tube, for the RC...8-10 " would be enough, though.
If you are going with an RC out of gas line, fine...if not..here is how I made my RC coils: http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 87&t=52290
Both will work with a 2" column.
As you see, it doesn't take a long and expensive coil to get the job done on such a relatively small still.
If you pay attention to the ruler I laid at the side of the single wound coil, you'll see it's around 150 mm.
With a slow and steady water flow through it, it's more than adequate for a 2" VM/CCVM setup.
A lot of new distillers wind single, or even double coils with a length in excess of 300 mm, which ain't necessary to provide sufficient cooling to the vapors (on a similar 2" setup).
The purpose of the RC is to cool the vapors down, so a phase change can occur...not to cool the entire top of the column (not desirable for a number of issues).
As long as the RC can absorb energy from the vapor so it gets below 78C, you are golden...at this point it will condense and fall back into the column as a liquid (reflux).
I'm not overly concerned about the temperature of my RC, I just want to keep it below 60 C.
That being said, I don't run a traditional setup where the RC is feed from the exit of the PC. I have two pumps and separate reservoirs for the cooling water.
It allows me to run the RC pretty hot, without sacrificing efficiency on my PC. The small reservoir for my RC also gives me the option of a quick exchange of water.