Bargain Mash Tun complete!

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rockhead
Novice

Bargain Mash Tun complete!

Post by Rockhead »

Wanting desperately to make an attempt my first all-grain run, but didn't have a mash tun. After a few searches, I finally found the stuff I need at a bargain. The local Lowe's Hardware store had 10 gal. Igloo water coolers 75% off, so I picked up one for 12.99, as opposed to 49.99. A few CPVC fittings and a lead-free washing machine valve and I was set. Now for a trip to the local home-brew store for some grain for a little HBB, and we will be rolling, hopefully next week!
Attachments
Manifold up close. All joints slip fit for cleaning ease. Drexel cutting wheel cut drain slits.
Manifold up close. All joints slip fit for cleaning ease. Drexel cutting wheel cut drain slits.
Internal view. Manifold slip fits into washing machine valve.
Internal view. Manifold slip fits into washing machine valve.
12.99 10 gal. Igloo cooler!
12.99 10 gal. Igloo cooler!
The angels and the Devil should get their own still. I'm getting tired of giving them their cuts!
Codgerness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Bargain Mash Tun complete!

Post by Codgerness »

Cool and ingenious! I have a question, what is a washing machine valve?
Rockhead
Novice

Post by Rockhead »

It is a quarter turn brass valve used for installing the hose outlets for hooking up a clothes washing machine, instead of a faucet. Longer shank with fittings make passing thru walls of coolers easier. Valve was $8.00 at Lowe's Hardware.
Attachments
611918101699_kindlephoto-438510396.jpg
The angels and the Devil should get their own still. I'm getting tired of giving them their cuts!
Codgerness
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Codgerness »

Thank you! never seen one before but can see how handy it is for your application. Perfect!