finally insulated my boka

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tzzler44
Novice

finally insulated my boka

Post by tzzler44 »

Just thought I'd share the new shiny insulation on my boka. It's cut my heat time down to 30-40 minutes for a 6 gallon wash and ran me about $25, all in. Basically it's a two layers of refectix around the keg, fastened together with velcro where the insulation overlaps, and a single layer of reflectix on the column, again held in place with velcro.

I'm pretty pleased with it. I ran a spirit run yesterday and drew off 15 pints of 180 proof at about 43 minutes per pint. Still got plenty to do in this spirit run but I got tired last night and shut down around 1am.
Attachments
still.jpg
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Re: finally insulated my boka

Post by still_stirrin »

Velcro, huh?

I used aluminum duct tape. It works very good on the Reflectix. And it looks natural....aluminum on aluminum....all shiny. But it makes your insulation installation permenant. But that was one of my requirements, as I don't need to remove the insulation from the boiler or my reflux column.
ss

edit to add: you can find aluminum duct tape in the HVAC section of your local big box store.
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
tzzler44
Novice

Post by tzzler44 »

I actually bought a roll of that tape the day I bought the reflectix, but I decided I wanted to be able to take the insulation off because I also use the same heating element for homebrew and I can just swap the insulation from my still boiler to the kettle
bilgriss
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bilgriss »

I've considered doing this from time to time as well. Looks nice. I usually just wrap a couple old blankets and call it done.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

bilgriss wrote:I've considered doing this from time to time as well. Looks nice...

I was going to polish my boiler and then did this! Insulation and shiny all in one!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."