Design idea

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

KiwiArmour
Novice

Design idea

Post by KiwiArmour »

I had this strange idea, probably really stupid but may have merit.

So the idea is have a pot still that is heated by a wood stove/fire and have the chimney go back into the wash so the smoke bubbles through and out the condenser with the distillate. Now you can put a valve on the chimney to limit the amount of smoke if you want.

I guess it will add alot of smoke flavour but that may not be a bad thing.

So what does everyone think?
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Design idea

Post by Mikey-moo »

My opinion may not count for much as I can't stand smokey booze... but I don't like this idea one bit - specifically as putting a valve on the chimney will vary the heat the fire gives out and in this game a constant heat is the overall aim.
Have two fires, one to heat, one for smoke, and direct the smoke into the still somehow. Might work, but if that's what you're after, why not just add some liquid smoke in at the start?
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

There was an, arguably, worse idea proposed here. That thread got deleted.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

LOL , I'd want to see a spark arrestor fitted to the chimney :P
KiwiArmour
Novice

Post by KiwiArmour »

Yeah let's leave this idea as an idea, just like electric windows on a submarine.

Yummyrum - good point didn't even think of that
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

So...if the muzzle end of the condenser is renamed a "Butt" you can defiantly blow smoke up it! :clap:
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Yummyrum wrote:LOL , I'd want to see a spark arrestor fitted to the chimney :P
Not necessary, because in the smoke of the chimney is hardly any oxygen left - if the fire burns well enough, that is - and when the smoke bubbles through the fluid the sparks will die anyway. No chance of fire in the kettle.
But the chimney will simply not work in this construction: it is supposed to cause some draft from the fire upward to the outside air. That is how the smoke is taken away from the fire.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

IMHO, I don't think it's a good idea, but hey, give it a try and see if you like it. My concerns/comments:

Any sparks could cause a Boom.
I Hate the smell of Creosol (sp?)
Adding more vapor to the boiler from the fire will increase vapor speed in your product condenser. Can you rig handle the extra volume?
The fire vapor is most likely a lot hotter than your alcohol vapor in the boiler. Not sure how the mixing of vapor temps will impact how your still works, and an equilibrium may be hard to find.
I would also be concerned about what else may have been previously burned and may still be hanging around in that wood stove.

Just my 2 cents worth. If you try this, please tell us how the plumbing is set up, how you ran it, and what the product was like.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

OtisT wrote:....My concerns/comments: Any sparks could cause a Boom....Just my 2 cents worth...
Please DON'T try this.

The flashpoint of ethanol is 61.9*F (16.6*C) and the auto-ignition temperature is 685*F (363*C). What you'll do is vaporize the ethanol and with the hot flue gasses, you'll heat the vapors to their auto-ignition point. It won't even require a spark to ignite.

Before you know what happened, we'll be reading about you in the paper (obits).
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Yes, and the explosionlimits are 3,4 en 19 % by volume in air.

I do not want to propose to do this, but to make a fire you need a triangle: fuel, oxygen and ignition.
You can not light beer or wine and you can only light wodka or sambuca in a restaurant by warming it.
If your fire burns good, there is only a very limited amount of oxygen in the smoke.
The heatcapacity of water is very high, that is why it can be used to extinguish a fire.
I doubt if there is much oxygen left in the boiler when the stilling is well under way. Maybe at the end of the condenser, but not in the boiler.
When you start with a fresh mash, the amount of alcohol in it is not much higher than 16 %ABV, so the rest is water. And the resulting vapour will be about 65 %ABV. So the sparks will be quenched before they reach the vapour.

I made a plan last year to do a test with a small still that I will try to light from the end of the condenser. Safe of course, some plastic bottle au bain Marie and a long fuse. As soon as I did it, I will report. (If I still live, of course! :mrgreen: )

But I think you need a vent to make the smoke come down and blow it through the mash.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

KAreltje is right about ignition, it just won't happen in a normal abv wash. But as written, it just won't work because as K says chimney relies on the priciple of "Warm air rises" - no rise to cause an updraft, smoke will just come out of the front of the fire. Seal that and the fire will go out.

A possible way to do it would be to have a large vessel in the chimney (or a secondary chimney - think smoke house) - then use an air pump to pump the smoke under pressure down to the bottom of the still like in a thumper. but you would need to generate some pressure to blow it through the wash.

I love smoked salmon, kippers and smoked eel :D - but I hate smoked whisky :lol: so I don't have to try this out :D