Big Old Pot!

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gsugg
Novice

Big Old Pot!

Post by gsugg »

I need to get a really large pot, say in the 25 gallon or bigger range. If I buy one in stainless, I'm looking at maybe $200 plus. Thinking about making one out of a sheet of 3 x 8 copper. (16 oz) Probably use 3/8's copper wire at top to give it strength. My cost locally for the 3 x 8 is little less than $100 bucks. Any thoughts on how this would work for cooking grains?

Thanks,
gsugg
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Big Old Pot!

Post by Truckinbutch »

I bought a 30 gallon pot on Amazon for , I think , $139 . Got no regrets . Put it on top of a 60k btu propane burner with a drill mounted paddle mixer with a speed control . Never looked back . It's workin great for me .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

Copper is pretty, but I see absolutely no reason to have it in a pot. At least in a boiler it might do something AND be pretty.
I'd go stainless myself, but aluminum will be much cheaper. I'd consider used stainless barrels, restaurant going out of business sales, and government auctions etc way before I'd make a copper pot. Unless I wanted the diy, and the pretty. And I'm a big fan of both diy and pretty, but those are personal value calls. If all you need is an economical BOP, you're best bet is probably used aluminum, or repurposed stainless.
RedwoodHillBilly

Post by RedwoodHillBilly »

zapata wrote: I'd consider used stainless barrels
If you can get them, I would highly recommend it. That's the way I went, I'll never look back.
Blarney Stoned
Swill Maker

Post by Blarney Stoned »

OP mentioned 25 gal. but for comparison I bought a nice aluminum heavy walled/bottom 60 quart for 60 bucks off ebay. Love it.
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

Always keep an eye out - I traded a turkey deep fryer pot for a US Army 15 gal pot! Dude, both parents US Army cooks. Also, got a 7½ gal pot at a thrift store for 10 buck$

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Forget aluminum...too reactive with low ph. Copper and stainless only. See rules we live by. What is your source for copper at that price?
Danespirit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Danespirit »

+1 Just saying..
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

Just Sayin,

You wouldn't believe how many people have asked me about where I get copper when they heard what we pay! The 3 x 8 is just under $100 plus tax, and the 3 x 10 is just under $125 plus tax. I get it from a local supply house in NC. Send me a pm and I'll forward you info on how to get up with them, etc. I'd rather not give out info that specific over the forum.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Pikey »

Fairy - nuff 8)
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

No use was mentioned for the BOP, hence my thinking aluminum *may be reasonable.
It may well pay to think outside of retail, here's a 30 gallon STAINLESS STEEL steam kettle currently @ $250. I guarantee you it will change your life after you sort out the 3 phase heating element. How 'bout a 1 pot shot mash ferment distill?
https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=M ... cctid=9557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Hope you're in Maryland though, that thing likely weighs 400 pounds.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

zap,

I'd be using it to cook my grains in. I've got a 100% hybrid copper pot still and a 4 foot copper liebig that I built. I was just thinking that since copper is pretty cheap around here, I could have a copper BOP in the range of 40 gallon for less money than I could buy a used aluminum one. Plus everything I have would be copper, which I love the look of. Not to mention the DIY aspect!

GSugg