Fermenting room in my workshop

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

tucker0104
Novice

Fermenting room in my workshop

Post by tucker0104 »

I need some expert advice. So, I built a 4x8 fermenting room in my non-conditioned workshop. So, it gets hot during the summer and cold during the winter. I insulated the room with R-30 insulation. I have also installed a window unit for the summer. I am trying to decide what to do for the winter now. I am located in North Carolina. The coldest it usually gets is maybe 20's at night.

1) I guess my first question is how hot and cold can the yeast get? Typically I use baker's yeast so I am guessing it can be from 70 degrees to 95.

2) What type of heater do you recommend? I was thinking a oil filled radiator type heater with a fan blowing 24/7. I can also add a blanket heater around the fermenter if it needed more heat for the winter. I am using rubbermaid trash cans. Does this sound like a good plan?

Any advice will help. I was thinking about putting everything on a controller but since the temperature doesn't need to be set that fine then I can probably just use the built in thermostats on the machine.
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Fermenting room in my workshop

Post by kiwi Bruce »

Most of the yeasts we would use work best in the range from 55–70 °F...so you'll need to cool your "Hobby Hole" in the summer and heat it in the winter...unless you get really brutal winters, a small space heater should do the trick.
Getting hung up all day on smiles
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

This can be wired for both if you have a heater fan combination.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 85&t=25475
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Hi. I had a basement room dedicated to fermenting (and storing stuff) and I used a space heater to control room temp. What a pain in the butt. I know I wasted a ton of power and it was hard to dial in the temp. Took more attention than I wanted. All that for just two 12 gal fermenters. :-(

Just a suggestion for you. I made an insulated box to fit my two small fermenters and I absolutely love it. No need to deal with room heat. I can hold the same temp for hours and rarely have to heat a ferment the first week. When I do need heat, I use a 15 watt light bulb in the box. Made from 4'x8' sheet of 2" foam board from Home Depot, and a roll of duct tape.
Closed box, bottom/sides/top
Closed box, bottom/sides/top
Bottom and side insulation
Bottom and side insulation
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »