Large Hole In Copper

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gsugg
Novice

Large Hole In Copper

Post by gsugg »

What's the best way to make a large hole in copper? Thinking about when you need a hole between 2 and 3 inches. Thought about a drilling out smaller holes then using dremel with cutting disks, metal cutting hole saw (though they seem to grab too much), etc. Any ideas would be appreciated.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Re: Large Hole In Copper

Post by johnsparrow »

You could try using a hole saw.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

John,

I thought about the hole saw but am worried about it "grabbing".
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

A panel punch. If it is a common plumbing size, shout your plumber a beer.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

NzChris,

Excellent idea. Had not thought of that. Thanks so much.
johnsparrow
Bootlegger

Post by johnsparrow »

gsugg wrote:NzChris,

Excellent idea. Had not thought of that. Thanks so much.
Plasma cutter?
Saltbush Bill
Site Mod

Post by Saltbush Bill »

A hole saw works fine, just make sure you secure the copper your drilling by clamping it down or similar....go steady dont push hard, use some lube.
Yummyrum
Global moderator

Post by Yummyrum »

+1 on hole saw and clamping it down .
You will need to go undersize though and enlarge it as I've found that hole saws tend to be slightly eccentric and almost certanly never make a perfect hole of the exact size . To enlarge the hole I would endorse the use of a dremel but forget cut off discs and all those pretty coloured stone grinding discs / wheels . Copper will make mince meat of them all .
Buy a tungsten carbide dye grinding dremel tool and you're laughing .... it will be worth every dollar :thumbup:

I used this technique to make the holes in my plated column for the sight glass connections
IMG_0799.JPG
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

In many cases you can simply use a fretsaw.
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Yummyrum wrote:+1 on hole saw and clamping it down .
You will need to go undersize though and enlarge it as I've found that hole saws tend to be slightly eccentric and almost certanly never make a perfect hole of the exact size . To enlarge the hole I would endorse the use of a dremel but forget cut off discs and all those pretty coloured stone grinding discs / wheels . Copper will make mince meat of them all .
Buy a tungsten carbide dye grinding dremel tool and you're laughing .... it will be worth every dollar :thumbup:

I used this technique to make the holes in my plated column for the sight glass connections
IMG_0799.JPG
+1 hole saw and a top quality burr. I have an air die grinder with a burr that cost about 100 bucks. It's going strong after years of abuse and hours of use on all manner of metal. steel welds, everything. i've even chewed the odd bit of wood with it.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

Yummy,
Your idea of the grinder to finish would work great, but I actually have a number of holes to cut so might be labor intensive.

Saltbush,
I also thought about the holes saw; and clamping a piece of oak underneath it to keep it from "cutting through" too soon.

I think after reviewing everything NZChris has the best solution for me cause I can get a kit for $150 or so and it's hydraulic which should help with a clean cut. Also, the hole sizes included go from 1/2 inch all the way up to 4 inch. Pretty much would be something that would hold me. Plus, my business partner and I have a mobile small engine service we could definitely use it for in working on mower decks.

Thanks so much guys. This community is the best I have ever been on. First time ever in all my years on the Internet that most all the people here have the goal of helping each other. Founders and administrators deserve a lot of recognition for what you all have accomplished here!

Thanks

GSugg
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

150 for a hydraulic punch is a steal, but i've never seen one that does tube. we use these type of punches with electrical, erforating panel boxes, metal studwork etc...but they distort even flat metal. I mean it's good enough to put a strain relief in and pull a wire through.
I thought you were using it to make sight glasses on tube? a metal burr on a die grinder will make short work of it and you'll love it for your business too.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

HDNB,

Good point on needing to consider what the hole is going to come out like. I was going to use it on copper sheet when making holes for riser tubes, drains and drain valves, thermometers, etc. I guess I really need to get some idea of how bad the distortion on the holes is going to be. I do know that distortion is pretty bad on 16 ounce copper with many of the methods other than just drilling it out with a metal bit. (problem being can't get bits that large). I have a set of step bits but they only go up to 1 3/8's inches. Lot of things to think through. I didn't realize the holes with a punch would be as bad as it sounds.

Wouldn't be using it on tube at all.

Thanks,

GSugg
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I love punches, I have several cheap ones and a couple spendy greenlees. You certainly don't need a hydraulic one for copper, I've used manual ones for stainless plenty of times. $150 is a great deal for a quality set like a greenlee, but harbor freight sells one for about $80 that goes up to 2 3/8".
Eta, its $94, but 20% couoons are everywhere
https://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic ... 96718.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
gsugg
Novice

Post by gsugg »

Zap,

Do they do okay in terms of not warping the metal up too much? I know I can anneal it and flatten it back out, but it sure would be nice if it held okay. Got any suggestions on a good manual set that goes to at least 2 inches?

Also, sending you a pm on couple of things.

GSugg
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

a jig saw will work on flat stock, but on thinner stock it will leave the edge not quite flat.

the only way I know to cut the hole and leave the stock fairly undamaged is to use a router

and a small carbide bit but you will have to make a jig either for the base or for a flush cut bit.
be water my friend