Dumb move - help

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

gsugg
Novice

Dumb move - help

Post by gsugg »

So I'm building a new still. 30 gallon with 32 inch high sides. I already had a 5500 watt heating element; controller and amp meter off ebay for electric control. Going to use an adapter in side of pot. Also got 36 inch high 2 inch column and a 1/4 coil 1 foot long to use in copper packed mesh column with individual controls for cooling coil for CM side, and 48 inch liebig product condenser. I went and was so interested in getting the vapor cone on I put a 1/4 copper wire at top of pot for extra strength and solder surface for vapor cone. I forgot to install the heating element. So I'm guessing I'm using propane on this one unless somebody has a good idea on mounting the 5500 watt element with vapor cone on and over 3 foot reach to get to inside of where element would be. Any ideas would be appreciated. (Not that it helps, but the vapor cone went on beautifully!!)
Expat
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Dumb move - help

Post by Expat »

Soft solder or weld a 2" triclamp fitting low down on the keg wall, then get a TC element adapter. You'll be able to remove your element anytime for cleaning or replacement.

Current boiler and pot head
Cross flow condenser
Modular 3" Boka - pics tbd

Post by nuntius01 »

ExpatLad wrote:Soft solder or weld a 2" triclamp fitting low down on the keg wall, then get a TC element adapter. You'll be able to remove your element anytime for cleaning or replacement.
yep, this is probably the easiest. still dragon makes a nice set up for a 2" triclamp too.
I'm just the bank and the mule

post your still pics here
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 16&t=66917
zapata
Distiller

Post by zapata »

I put one of these on through the intact neck of a keg. You ain't screwed.
https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/2etc4s.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
They sell everything individually or in smaller "kits" if you dont need everything. Even the right solder and flux for ss/cu work.
ShineonCrazyDiamond
Global moderator

Post by ShineonCrazyDiamond »

I love that place. Brewhardware is my LHBS. Stop there on my way home from work. Bobby, the owner, super helpful and nice guy. Always takes care of me. :thumbup:
"Come on you stranger, you legend, you martyr, and shine!
You reached for the secret too soon, you cried for the moon.
Shine on you crazy diamond."
ben stiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by ben stiller »

Like the others said. You didn't totally screw up. Just punch a hole and solder a fitting in and you are good to go. Granted it would have been easier before but hell that is the kind of thing I would do in my excitement.