Building one, while running one.

Post your builds here.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Building one, while running one.

Post by Deplorable »

Today I got started on my new modular CCVM while doing a spirit run of single malt.
I scored a 48 inch stick of 2" M pipe, so I cut it up into a 21" for a shotgun, a 6" spool for above the T, a 15" spool, some spacers, and a 3" extension on the T to get the elbow out away from the column a bit for better clearance.
20201025_211427.jpg
20201025_211317.jpg
20201025_211339.jpg
20201025_211405.jpg
I'll update this when my "wind chimes" get here from Twisted Brick.
Ive still got a few bits to procure to finish this out. Still need a stick of 1/2", a reducer for the output of the shotgun, and a couple more ferrules, as well as fittings for cooling water, and a coil of 1/4" for the RC.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Re: Building one, while running one.

Post by Twisted Brick »

Deplorable,

I know you were looking to source a 2 x 1/2" reducer. Here's where I got mine:

Supply House
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Thanks Twisted. Next weekend will be another busy weekend in the garage putting your wind chimes together.
Everything is cleaned up waiting for the shotgun to come together.
I may get to use this to run the the final mash to fill my barrel with single malt.
20201026_173548.jpg
20201026_173434.jpg
20201026_124934.jpg
Last edited by Deplorable on Mon Oct 26, 2020 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fear and ridicule are the tactics of weak-minded cowards and tyrants who have no other leadership talent from which to draw in order to persuade.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Nice work sofar its gonna be a fun thread
You have two ears and one mouth for a reason....
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I got some work in today. Worked on the shotgun condenser water jacket. More parts are coming tomorrow, and Friday. I should be able to finish this project this weekend, and get the cleaning runs out of the way so I can run the last mash of single malt for my barrel through the new still.
Contoured the water fittings.
Contoured the water fittings.
Layer out placement  and drilled with a step bit.
Layer out placement and drilled with a step bit.
Soldered in place.
Soldered in place.
Flush inside.
Flush inside.
Ready for the wind chimes for TB.
Ready for the wind chimes for TB.
Once its all together and pressure tested, I'll clean up the solder joints, and acid wash the whole thing in citric acid.
Dewstiller
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Dewstiller »

Looks like its coming together well.
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Looking good, Billy Ray!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Well I made a little more progress today before coming to work.
I have to say, Twisted Brick's easy solder plates and baffles made with a sweet project.
Because my water jacket is M pipe, TB came up with a workaround for his press jigs to make plates that fit the ID of my pipe, and I agreed to be the test subject.
20201029_235409.jpg
20201030_094557.jpg
20201030_094517.jpg
20201030_100031.jpg
That's as far as I got before it was time to go to work. Should finish it up in the morning, and get the prerequisite cleaning runs done.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

If you're thinking of a shotgun build, hit up Twisted Brick for a set of his out of this world "wind chimes". This made slick work of the task. I highly recommend. Now available in L pipe and M pipe dimensions.
Sailman
Swill Maker

Post by Sailman »

Looking good ! TB's plate's are nice, that's what I used
Tabucowboy
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Tabucowboy »

Why do you have the copper ring around the stainless ferrules?
Is it easier to attach to copper, and can you describe how they are used?

Would love to do that
CM Reflux Still -- Copper mesh 16" ,column 31" tall, dia. 2",temp at boiler,top of column, power - PAC w5500w Element
Pot Still -- Copper mesh 16",column, 23" tall dia. 2", temp at boiler, power - PAC w5500w Element
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:49 pm Well I made a little more progress today before coming to work.
I have to say, Twisted Brick's easy solder plates and baffles made with a sweet project.
Because my water jacket is M pipe, TB came up with a workaround for his press jigs to make plates that fit the ID of my pipe, and I agreed to be the test subject.
20201029_235409.jpg
20201030_094557.jpg20201030_094517.jpg20201030_100031.jpg
That's as far as I got before it was time to go to work. Should finish it up in the morning, and get the prerequisite cleaning runs done.
How much for a set of those
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

Durhommer wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:45 am
How much for a set of those
Durhommer,

If you haven't seen my shotgun build thread , it shows the build steps and prices. If you'd prefer, please feel free to PM me and I can go over them with you.

Twisted

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Tabucowboy wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:14 am Why do you have the copper ring around the stainless ferrules?
Is it easier to attach to copper, and can you describe how they are used?

Would love to do that
The ferrules fit inside the pipe. They are too small for the pipe fittings. So you cut a ring from your pipe to use as a shim so the ferrules fit the ID of the pipe fittings.
In my build I used 5 rings. Two for the elbow, two for the T, and one for the reducer cone on the end of the condenser.
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

Well, I have to say, I was pretty pleased with the results on this build. Got the cleaning runs done. And on the alcohol bath, I tried as hard as I could to overpower this condenser.
My casch cooker will throw 100k BTU. TB can attest as he's seen the video, at wide open flame, and about half open on a 1/2 inch gate valve I was literally splashing out the nozzle, cool to the touch, and the condenser was warm but still easy to hold 2/3s of the way up. You cannot over power this thing if you're on a well and water isn't an issue. I absolutely love this build.
20201031_184555.jpg
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

Deplorable wrote: Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:47 pm Well, I have to say, I was pretty pleased with the results on this build. Got the cleaning runs done. And on the alcohol bath, I tried as hard as I could to overpower this condenser.
My casch cooker will throw 100k BTU. TB can attest as he's seen the video, at wide open flame, and about half open on a 1/2 inch gate valve I was literally splashing out the nozzle, cool to the touch, and the condenser was warm but still easy to hold 2/3s of the way up. You cannot over power this thing if you're on a well and water isn't an issue. I absolutely love this build.
20201031_184555.jpg
Wanna sell me that whole still head and build another
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

You can build it cheaper than I would sell it. I'm about $240 into it, and still have to twist up a RC and buy cooling lines and fittings for it.
The still i started with was almost identical to yours.
Durhommer
Distiller

Post by Durhommer »

The wife wont let me play right now and it sucks cos I really want to hey did you check out the inkbird and heater I'm getting?
Deplorable
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Deplorable »

I saw that you were ordering the inkbird I showed you. I assume you got a similar heat mat to the one you posted?