Black candied walnuts / Dio Palinka recycling

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

der wo
Master of Distillation

Black candied walnuts / Dio Palinka recycling

Post by der wo »

There is a traditional French recipe called "Noix confites noires" (black candied nuts). A dessert with similar ingredients like the Dio Palinka. Of course green walnuts, but also similar spices: For example cloves, cinnamon stick, orange zest, vanilla, anise... But without alcohol of course.
The traditional recipe is to stich a few holes in fresh green walnuts and water them 2 weeks (replace the water every day). This is to get a balance between the flavors. Without watering the special bitter green nut taste would be too extreme. Then cook them in water with a bit salt half an hour and wash them after that. Now boil 10min new water and sugar and mazerate the nuts in the sugar sirup overnight. This do five times in five days. Every day take the walnuts out of the sugarwater and cook it 10min, then put the nuts back in the water. After 5 days the water is reduced enough, bring everything to a final boil, filter out the spices and fill jars with the nuts and the sirup, like jam cooking.

Reasonable amounts:
-1kg green walnuts (30-35 nuts), picked mid-June.
-1.5kg sugar
-3l water
-the amount of spices you will find out yourself. Every day before you cook it taste and decide. You don't need to add all the spices at the beginning.
-I personally like to add a bit of dark chocolate. This is against tradition and it looses a bit of the special green nut taste, but I like it. 50g is enough. Stir it in after the last boil just before filling the jars. Or give the chocolate in the jars and shake it after filling them. So you can easily make versions with and without chocolate or experiment with white chocolate for example, maple sirup or whatever...
I have read often, that the taste of the sirup gets more intense after a while. It's recommended to age it at least 6 months.

You can eat them with ice cream or toast. Or perhaps with meat or a cheese dessert. It's a special taste, it fits to everything, but only in small amounts.

Now the trick, the sequel of Dio Palinka:
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 11&t=31092
We can make the same recipe with the used walnuts from the Dio Palinka. It's a bit easier and faster, because we don't need to water them. We can start directly with cooking them in water with a bit salt.
With Dio Palinka-walnuts the taste is a bit smoother, easier. The sirup is lighter, because the nuts were cut into pieces and treated with alcohol, so they are washed out much. I like this recipe without chocolate more.
DSC06971.JPG
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
JellybeanCorncob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Black candied walnuts / Dio Palinka recycling

Post by JellybeanCorncob »

I'm wondering about taste, mouth feel?
Does it soften up, chewy? Does it taste like glazed walnuts with out the crunch?
American pallets are different then Europeans. I'll try and remember this recipe for next year.
I may be the only one eating it at my house. My wife and daughter aren't very adventurous with food.
I.C.
JBC
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Interesting. But an awful lot of work.
And then: "picked about mid-june"? That is before St. Johns? That will be next year.
Last edited by Kareltje on Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Gotta say, that does not look at all appetizing, but sounds like it would taste good. I will for sure give it a try next year.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
bbok
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bbok »

I have more black walnut that I can count and even though it may be a little late here in southern Canada I might just give this a try. Thanks for posting something I can do with these stupid nuts and thanks for posting about something I doubt anyone here has read about before
Accumulating pieces
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

Kareltje wrote:Interesting. But an awful lot of work.
And then: "picked about mid-june"? That is before St. Johns? That will be next year.
If you had made a Dio Palinka this year, now you would have the material for this recipe. :D
In this way, imperialism brings catastrophe as a mode of existence back from the periphery of capitalist development to its point of departure. - Rosa Luxemburg
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

JellybeanCorncob wrote:I'm wondering about taste, mouth feel?
Does it soften up, chewy? Does it taste like glazed walnuts with out the crunch?
American pallets are different then Europeans. I'll try and remember this recipe for next year.
I may be the only one eating it at my house. My wife and daughter aren't very adventurous with food.
I.C.
No crunch like ripe walnuts. But it's not really soft. The consistency is similar but a bit harder like octopus (not the taste!). If the nuts are washed out much (like with Dio Palinka), it tastes like soft walnuts without any bitternes. Washed out less you get more a bitter taste, which you only know, when you have made Dio Palinka once.
Last edited by der wo on Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
der wo
Master of Distillation

Post by der wo »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Gotta say, that does not look at all appetizing, but sounds like it would taste good. I will for sure give it a try next year.
With whole walnuts it looks a bit better. And filtering the sirup would improve the look too:
confites-noires_600.jpg
Here you can see, that the sirup is darker with the original recipe.
Or do you think, it looks like brains of mice?
rager
Distiller

Post by rager »

i see a candied walnut and i wouldnt hesitate to try it.
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

der wo wrote:
Kareltje wrote:Interesting. But an awful lot of work.
If you had made a Dio Palinka this year, now you would have the material for this recipe. :D
That is why I looked up this recipe. :mrgreen:
just sayin
Rumrunner

Post by just sayin »

Today is Saint John's Day, time to harvest the nuts!
Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

I take good care of my nuts on any day! :mrgreen: