Venison Poppers

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Rivver
Swill Maker

Venison Poppers

Post by Rivver »

This is one of my favorites. I love cooking with whiskey or beer, and this recipe you can use either one.

1-2 lbs venison backstrap (adjust for however many people your are feeding)
1 lb bacon uncooked
2/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup worcheshire
1/4 cup Italian dressing
1/8 cup favorite whiskey (I like canadian whiskey, usually use crown, but a neutral or light flavored whiskey would work good for this too)

Cut venison into 1 1/2" chunks

Prepare marinade and place venison into it, coating all of it very well. I usually let mine sit in the fridge for a couple of days before cooking.
The day you are going to cook it, cut bacon slices in half and wrap up single chunks and hold together with toothpicks. I toss back into marinade until I'm ready to toss on grill.

Get your grill warmed up to 350-400 and start cooking. They cook fast and you don't want to over cook them. When the bacon looks done take them off and enjoy.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Re: Venison Poppers

Post by junkyard dawg »

Backstrap wrapped in bacon and grilled...

oh man that sounds good :ebiggrin:

where's the hungry smilie?
this is the internet
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

They are excellent JYD. This weekend we had a few drinkin buddies over and I made a Bacon Bomb. First time I ever tried it, and it was friggin awesome.

Easy to make, just weave about 10-14 slices of bacon together to form a large square piece of bacon. Then I used about a pound of pork sausage spread out like a big patty over the bacon. Sprinkle some BBQ rub on this, then BBQ sauce, and finally some bacon bits (already fried up). Then roll the whole piece into a log, and top with brown sugar. Put in the smoker on 250 for about 4 hours.
junkyard dawg
Master of Distillation

Post by junkyard dawg »

Well played sir,

well played... :clap:
this is the internet
BareKnuckles
Swill Maker

Post by BareKnuckles »

Dude.... Your making me hungry.. Good thing deer season starts next week!!!
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Let the air out of a nice 9 pt. last Saturday evening. Caught him a bit far back in the liver and one lung, he went about a 100 yrds and piled up in a heap. Hangin in the cooler now! It's great to be back in the stand.
BareKnuckles
Swill Maker

Post by BareKnuckles »

Man, I'm jealous!!!!! I have to wait till Saturday!!!! Been a LONG off season.... Good thing we got stillin...LOL....

Need some pics of that dear...
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Still trying to figure out how to post them here.
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Smoked a doe last night at 20 yards and she went about 15 yards more before hittin the dirt. After three years of shortage on deer meat, it finally looks like this year might be a good one. Gave her a bad case of black lung!! :thumbup:
BareKnuckles
Swill Maker

Post by BareKnuckles »

Nice man... I skewered an 8 point last weekend! Hopefully we will both have a freezer full this year!!!
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Congrats BK!! I'm gonna give 'em a rest until this weekend. Supposed to have high temps in the 50's, lows in the 30's. That should get 'em goin a bit better. Good luck and good huntin.
Mr.Brown
Swill Maker

Post by Mr.Brown »

i have to give that a try. We do the same thing but just with italian dressing. The extras sound pretty good though !
Anything i do or say here is purely hypothetical and for information gathering and sharing purposes only.
BareKnuckles
Swill Maker

Post by BareKnuckles »

Rivver wrote:Congrats BK!! I'm gonna give 'em a rest until this weekend. Supposed to have high temps in the 50's, lows in the 30's. That should get 'em goin a bit better. Good luck and good huntin.
Oh yeah.. The low temps will get 'em goin for sure!!! Good luck to you too man... Keep us posted...
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Just got a call from my FIL last night, looks like I'm gonna be chasin birds instead of deer, well at least Saturday morning. We have an early Canada season that starts up Oct. 1st, so we are going up to a big lake north of me where he's been seeing a bunch of birds. Hoping to be in the deer stand Sat. evening, if not Sunday for sure.
BareKnuckles
Swill Maker

Post by BareKnuckles »

Sounds like a good time.. My FIL doesn't hunt :cry: .. Good luck man... I look forward to hearing how it went.....
Brownegg
Novice

Post by Brownegg »

Just thought i would add a lil to this, Take the backstrap and leave it whole. File it so you can make like a wrap with it Let it marinate however you like. In a sauce pan take jalpenos and cream cheese and a stick of boudin. Cook till cheese is melted and place in center of back strap then wrap up with bacon and put on the grill.
The name is Brownegg as in "Country as a brownegg straight from the chicken's a@@:;
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

I've had it with the jalapenos and cream cheese before (BTW, wild duck breast is awesome fixed this way too) but never the boudin. Never tried boudin, not real popular up in these parts. Is boudin similar to andouille?

I just put some backstrap in the freezer last night off of two young does, it looked so damn tender I just wanted to take a bite!!! :eh:
Brownegg
Novice

Post by Brownegg »

Boudin is a south la. thing. It is basically a rice dressing stuffed in a hog casing. If you make your own deer sausage etc. then makin boudin is fairly easy.
The name is Brownegg as in "Country as a brownegg straight from the chicken's a@@:;
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

We run about 1000-1500 lbs of deer sausage through my shop every year so making some boudin wouldn't be a problem. You wouldn't happen to have a good recipe I could try would ya?
Brownegg
Novice

Post by Brownegg »

Rivver,
I also cut up deer etc.. I will get back with you on the recipe. I am at work right now and will not be home till end of month. But to be honest the best i have made so far just came from guessing and putting it together. Although right before i left i ordered some Boudin seasoning and this time i am gonna see if that has what mine was missing. There are recipes on the net and those are the ones i have tried so i am just working off those but trying to find what is missing. Whatever you do dont use chicken liver instead of pork it makes it nasty LOL!!!
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Oh man, we made some braunschweiger earlier this year, and it's the best I've ever had hands down, we used pork liver on that too.

A lot of times I'll order seasoning mixes through suppliers, especially if I have no clue as to what goes in them. But I don't recall ever seeing a boudin mix out there. I'll do some more checkin around.
Brownegg
Novice

Post by Brownegg »

Rivver,
Check it out i posted the boudin recipe under favorite food recipes. It is just a guide i use basically but maybe it will help ya a lil. It is great on the grill also!!