Boudin

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Brownegg
Novice

Boudin

Post by Brownegg »

Ok so i am posting the ingridents / recipe i found online. I have made several batches. First batch was ok followed the recipe just added chicken liver instead of pork liver ( DONT DO THAT ) It gave the boudin a gritty texture and off taste. I am by no means a boudin maker just trying to figure it out. I have found it better to follow directions and if you have to add a lil more rice or meat to get texture you like then go for it. I have also ordered some seasoning that i will try this time home to see if it is good. Normally i add a lil extra everything and be sure you have Tony's seasoning. Everything coonass has Tony's LOL! I have made several attempts and some decent boudin. based off this recipe. I would love to hear from others on there expirements etc. This stuff is good stuffed into links or rolled into balls and fried or use as a stuffing.

2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cubed
1 pound pork liver, cut into pieces
4 cups water

2 cups uncooked white rice
4 cups water

1 1/4 cups green onions, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup minced celery
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

4 feet 1 1/2 inch diameter hog casings
Directions
Combine the pork shoulder, liver, and 4 cups of water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the pork cubes are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Bring the rice and 4 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside.
Once the pork is tender, remove from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and allow to cool a bit. While the pork is cooling, stir the green onion, chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, parsley, cilantro, and garlic into the simmering pork broth. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the onion is tender. Meanwhile, grind the meat using the coarse plate of a meat grinder. Stir the ground meat into the vegetable mixture, and cook, stirring frequently until the water has nearly evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice, and set aside to cool.
While the meat mixture is cooling, rinse the sausage casings inside and out with plenty of warm water. Keep the casings in a bowl of warm water until ready to stuff. Once the sausage mixture is cool enough to handle, stuff into the prepared casings using a sausage stuffer. Prick the sausage with a needle every 4 to 6 inches.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to keep the water at a very gentle simmer. Add the sausage and cook gently until the sausage is hot on the inside, firm to the touch, and has plumped, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
The name is Brownegg as in "Country as a brownegg straight from the chicken's a@@:;
marshrunner757
Swill Maker

Re: Boudin

Post by marshrunner757 »

You done made this coonass hungry!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Brownegg
Novice

Post by Brownegg »

Well i am well north of I 10 so if ya running in the Marsh you may know the secrets.. How is the specks and reds doing? I try to hit the marsh everytime i am home atleast once.
The name is Brownegg as in "Country as a brownegg straight from the chicken's a@@:;
marshrunner757
Swill Maker

Post by marshrunner757 »

Fishing has been amazing the past few months. No shortage of reds, specks or flounder. Made a quick trip to the marsh yesterday and picked up 8 nice reds.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Awesome Brownegg, I found another recipe, but it didn't call for the liver and didn't have but 4 or 5 seasonings to it, and they never gave an amount on the seasonings to start with. I think I'll be going with your recipe and adjust to taste if needed. Thanks!!
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Well I made some of the Boudin a few weeks back. The flavor was awesome, but I screwed up and put too much stock back in the mix and it got thin. When I tried to cook some of the links, it cooked out of the casing into the skillet, so I just put it in the fridge for a few days to dry up a bit and it worked out. Next time I make it I won't be adding so much broth back.
bamaspearo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bamaspearo »

The best part of eating bodin is roasting it in an oven untill the casings bust open. Then you get all the little crunchy bits.....

Here is how I do it!

Venison Boudin

You can fry it in patties, balls, use as a stuffing in ducks, geese, chicken, turkey, etc, or put in casings and steam or cook with indirect heat.

2 LBS Ground Venison
1 LB ground pork
1/2LB venison liver If you can find this ADD IT. It definitely makes it better. If not, just add 1/2LB pork liver.
1 large Vidalia onion
3 Celery ribs
1/2 bell pepper
5 cloves of Garlic
2TSP Thyme
3 Bay Leaves
Water (cover meat with 1")
3 Cups uncooked rice
2 bunches of Green onions chopped (tops only)
1/2 Cup Parsley
Salt/Black Pepper
Cayenne….. Bring on the Burn!!

Bust up raw burger and liver chopped into 1-2" chunks in a large saucepan. Add chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, and bay leaves and cover with about an inch of water. Add a little salt and heavy dose of black pepper and Cayenne. It should be a little saltier and spicier than you normally like, but it will mellow out significantly when you cook the rice in the broth. (Basically remember you are seasoning the meat and the rice at the same time).Bring to a boil then simmer low and slow for an hour or two. . Discard the bay leaved and drain the broth off.

Use the broth for the rice. If you don't have enough broth add some stock to make up the difference. Grind up the meat or you can also use a large kitchen knife and chop it up instead of grinding.

The rice should be cooked but still a little firm. Once done combine and mix with the meat mixture, green onions, parsley and do a final taste test and adjust spices if needed.

You can either stuff into hog casings or use as stuffing or make patties
8 gallon kettle with a 2 inch "Rad's Apartment Still"
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Thanks Bama, I'll have to try that too. I can usually get a deer liver or two that doesn't get shot up during harvest.
Brownegg
Novice

Post by Brownegg »

definately sounds good, its just like anything else just have to experiment to find your flavor you like. Its great any way you cook it. I havent made any in a while but made about 120lbs of jalpeno n cheese deer sausage 35lbs of summer sausage and 50lbs of pattie sausage. So bout got my freezer full.
Bugflipper
Novice

Post by Bugflipper »

Have to agree on the deer liver over pork. Just cut into strips and soak it in salt water for a day or two to get the blood leached out. That is, unless you like the strong minerally taste in your boudin. Don't figure you do if you didn't care for the chicken livers though.
Molon Labe
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

I have family in Louisiana. They always come up with the BEST boudin. Dunno what it is about those people. Totally Different world down there.

We sometimes remove it from the casing and make balls with cheese in the middle. Bread, and deep fry. Now I need to send for more dammit...
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Boudin cookin' on the grill along with Russian boar fresh killed on a hunt in Tennessee a few years ago. YUM, YUM!!!

Blah, blah, blah,........
Tap
Swill Maker

Post by Tap »

Brownegg wrote:Ok so i am posting the ingridents / recipe i found online. I have made several batches. First batch was ok followed the recipe just added chicken liver instead of pork liver ( DONT DO THAT ) It gave the boudin a gritty texture and off taste. I am by no means a boudin maker just trying to figure it out. I have found it better to follow directions and if you have to add a lil more rice or meat to get texture you like then go for it. I have also ordered some seasoning that i will try this time home to see if it is good. Normally i add a lil extra everything and be sure you have Tony's seasoning. Everything coonass has Tony's LOL! I have made several attempts and some decent boudin. based off this recipe. I would love to hear from others on there expirements etc. This stuff is good stuffed into links or rolled into balls and fried or use as a stuffing.

2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cubed
1 pound pork liver, cut into pieces
4 cups water

2 cups uncooked white rice
4 cups water

1 1/4 cups green onions, chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup minced celery
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 cup chopped fresh parsley
2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes

4 feet 1 1/2 inch diameter hog casings
Directions
Combine the pork shoulder, liver, and 4 cups of water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the pork cubes are tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
Bring the rice and 4 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes. Set aside.
Once the pork is tender, remove from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and allow to cool a bit. While the pork is cooling, stir the green onion, chopped onion, celery, bell pepper, parsley, cilantro, and garlic into the simmering pork broth. Season with salt, cayenne pepper, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Cook until the onion is tender. Meanwhile, grind the meat using the coarse plate of a meat grinder. Stir the ground meat into the vegetable mixture, and cook, stirring frequently until the water has nearly evaporated, about 10 minutes. Stir in the cooked rice, and set aside to cool.
While the meat mixture is cooling, rinse the sausage casings inside and out with plenty of warm water. Keep the casings in a bowl of warm water until ready to stuff. Once the sausage mixture is cool enough to handle, stuff into the prepared casings using a sausage stuffer. Prick the sausage with a needle every 4 to 6 inches.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to keep the water at a very gentle simmer. Add the sausage and cook gently until the sausage is hot on the inside, firm to the touch, and has plumped, about 5 minutes. Serve immediately.
If you're getting a gritty texture I would recommend.... (I'm a professional chef btw)

Don't cook the liver with the pork. Just purée it and add it to the Boudin before stuffing.

Once you have braised the pork butt until it's tender, cool it in the braising liquid. Then remove the meat, grind it and reserve.

Don't add the ground meat back into the braising liquid and cook it some more. There's no point in doing this. Just reduce (boil/simmer) the liquid until it's the concistency or flavour that you want. Now cool it again.

Take your ground braised pork, add the puréed raw liver, all of your seasonings and aromatics (vegetables, herbs, spices), and just enough cooled braising liquid to bind it all. Not too dry/not too wet.
Then stuff it into ur casings and cook as you described.

The raw liver will cook and act as a binding agent. You will have a more sliceable, less crumbly (or gritty) texture to your sausage.

:thumbup:
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough