cookin "cracklins

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

cookin "cracklins

Post by F6Hawk »

S-Cackalacky wrote:Sounds great. Is the pork belly fresh or smoked?
Wouldn't be much need to cook a cooked pork belly, S-C. :esurprised: Admin edit this is post I split rather then delete for hijacking other members threads
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: Pork Belly slow cooked in milk

Post by S-Cackalacky »

F6Hawk wrote:
Wouldn't be much need to cook a cooked pork belly, S-C. :esurprised:
So, I guess I been really screwing up - fryin' my bacon or braising a hunk of smoked pork belly in a pot of pinto beans.

Just sayin',
S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

blind drunk wrote:
ausmarty wrote:Pork belly with skin scored
Black pepper
Dried sage
Ground salt
Fennel seeds
Fresh Garlic
Olive oil
Milk
Roasting tray
Enjoy
What, no basil :wink: :lol:
Now you know, that basil will suck the redneck right out of it. And yes, some of them ole boys from Oz are rednecks - albeit, bassackward rednecks - bein' from opposite hemispheres and all.

Just sayin',
S-C
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

S-Cackalacky wrote:
F6Hawk wrote:
So, I guess I been really screwing up - fryin' my bacon or braising a hunk of smoked pork belly in a pot of pinto beans.

Just sayin',
S-C
Gear down, Big Shifter!! Are ye pullin' on me leg, or is the bacon where ye hail from cooked afore you buy it? From up where I sit, mine is raw and hassta be cooked...
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

F6Hawk wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:
F6Hawk wrote:

Just sayin',
S-C
Gear down, Big Shifter!! Are ye pullin' on me leg, or is the bacon where ye hail from cooked afore you buy it? From up where I sit, mine is raw and hassta be cooked...
Not sure I understand where you're coming from there F6Hawk. You seem to be contradicting yourself. Is your bacon NOT smoked? Where I come from and most other places in the USA, bacon usually has a light/medium smoke on it - not sure that it's fully cooked though. I think it depends on what temp it's smoked at. Oh, and to be clear, bacon IS smoked pork belly - unless maybe if you live in Canada, where bacon is sliced eye-round of ham. Here in the US we call it Canadian bacon. Maybe Canadians call sliced pork belly American bacon - I don't know.

Where I come from I can buy a slab of fresh pork belly, or I can buy a similar slab of smoked pork belly which is basically unsliced bacon. I don't understand what's confusing about that. I don't think I would eat either one without cooking it first.

Just sayin',
S-C
Edit: BTW, when I said, "So, I guess I been really screwing up...", I was being facetious and possibly even sarcastic.
Kravenhed
Novice

Post by Kravenhed »

Oxbo Rene wrote:Sounds like a fancy resipe for cookin "cracklins"..................
now thats a hoot...... wonder if the fella knows what cracklins are
~Moonshine......it'll cure what ails ya~
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Most folks round here want there lard Lilly white.
You start adding all that other stuff an your pie
crust gonna carry that taste.
You cookin pork skin you cook em till they bout done
freeze then put it in micro wave froze an cook
it on bout 7 till they puff up.
If you renderin the lard make you let it cool some
before you put in stands

So IM tole
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Kravenhed wrote:
Oxbo Rene wrote:Sounds like a fancy resipe for cookin "cracklins"..................
now thats a hoot...... wonder if the fella knows what cracklins are
I know what cracklins are and they are great . Folks that don't know no better pay a big dollar for a packaged waste product at the conveince store labeled 'pork rinds' for a snack food . Spent many a day slowly stirrin a try pot of renderin lard over an open fire around Thanksgivin time . The fresh cracklins that floated to the top were an immediate reward for the slave labor involved in the lard renderin . Fatback was the bottom part of the hog below where the bacon was taken out . Didn't make good lard but , ya could bury it in rock salt over the winter and it would decently season soup beans .
Pot of that with some hand squished cat head biscuits sopped in mustard gravy and a man could fart contentedly and go on off to sleep with a full belly .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

My mom used to make lily white lard that was used in an Easter cheese bread. The crackling went into the dough and so did a whole bunch of cubed salami and white pepper. The texture was somewhere between a bread and pastry and not at all greasy (or just greasy enough I should say :wink:) It was out of this world good.
I do all my own stunts
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

S-Cackalacky wrote:S-C
Edit: BTW, when I said, "So, I guess I been really screwing up...", I was being facetious and possibly even sarcastic.
Just messin' withya, S-C. I knew it was facism. Errrr, facetiousness, as was my reply. I'm sure in some places bacon is smoked enough to eat, but I don't recall seeing that since I was a kid on the farm. (pause) Just checked a package I had thawing in the sink, and it says "cook thoroughly", not "fully cooked". Canadian bacon is fully cooked, but I don't remember buying bacon in a store that was already cook. Rather, it is cured. There's probably brands out there that ARE cooked, just sayin' I ain't seen such.

In my original post to you, I was thinking about smoking meat as in fully cooking it, not in the way that bacon is cured, yet still raw enough that it needs further cooking. Sorry for the confusion, and it was all in good fun, I assure you. :P
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

F6Hawk wrote:
S-Cackalacky wrote:S-C
Just messin' withya, S-C. I knew it was facism. Errrr, facetiousness, as was my reply. I'm sure in some places bacon is smoked enough to eat, but I don't recall seeing that since I was a kid on the farm. (pause) Just checked a package I had thawing in the sink, and it says "cook thoroughly", not "fully cooked". Canadian bacon is fully cooked, but I don't remember buying bacon in a store that was already cook. Rather, it is cured. There's probably brands out there that ARE cooked, just sayin' I ain't seen such.

In my original post to you, I was thinking about smoking meat as in fully cooking it, not in the way that bacon is cured, yet still raw enough that it needs further cooking. Sorry for the confusion, and it was all in good fun, I assure you. :P
Thanks for explaining. I thought you done gone plum crazy.

Just sayin',
S-C
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

When I was a youngun back in S. Cack, what my mama kept as cracklin' was the stuff that floated to the top when rendering lard. She rendered pretty clean fat - no lean meat and no skin. So what floated to the top was the membranes from the nodules that hold the fat oils. These were little golden brown clumps of crispness. She would usually set them aside to go into a cake of cornbread - called cracklin' cornbread. A bowl of cracklin' cornbread in buttermilk with a fresh hot pepper on the side was my great grandpa's favorite thing to eat.

TB, my mama called fat back, "dear meat". It was a staple in our house. It would be the most plentiful product in the meat department of any grocery store where I was brought up. My mama would put a chunk of fat back in just about every damned thing she cooked - pinto beans, green beans, stewed potatoes, etc. Back in those days, a slab of fat back would be a couple inches thick. Now, you lucky if you can find it 3/4 inch thick. Guess they don't make hogs the way they use to.

Just sayin',
S-C
Edit: Not to forget - fried fat back with a cream gravy made from the renderings over biscuits with some fresh cantelope wedges on the side. But then, there was the heart attack I had at 48 years old.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: cookin "cracklins

Post by Truckinbutch »

Heart attacks can come at any age . Look at all the old folks that ate all that good food their entire lives and lived to a ripe old age .
A horse that never stumbled , a rope that never broke , a pistola that never hung in the holster , husbands that never came home unexpectedly .................... With these things , Senior , a man might live forever :)
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

all kinds of new theories on heart disease and diet. Here's one that exonerates high fat diets -

http://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/heart-di ... -1.1384290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I do all my own stunts
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

blind drunk wrote:all kinds of new theories on heart disease and diet. Here's one that exonerates high fat diets -

http://www.iol.co.za/lifestyle/heart-di ... -1.1384290" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Yep, lots of things ain't what they seem to be. The CDC just blew the whole salt-is-bad thing out of the water. The old woman been naggin' my ass for years about putting salt on my food. She don't have much to say any more.

Just sayin',
S-C
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Damn growth hormones and antibiotics, and other such good for animal growth has got to be bad for us! Home grown vegetables and farm animals are way better than store bought for the body. My Grandad would dip lard straight out of the bucket and put on his peas and eat crackling cornbread and drink sweet tea, ate everything on a hog but the grunt! Lived to late eighties and Grandma now 93! Granddad used to get on ole timers drunks in the hot of summer, week or two at the time straight! Drank more wine and whiskey thsn a man ought to. I surmise that all the harsh drinking, hardhard work, and poor diet as he had was what eventually killed him! Ate like that and never took any other medicine in his life. Imhave to tske four maintenance meds! Maybe we all need to go back to eatin cracklins and fatback!
GA Flatwoods
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
blind drunk
retired

Post by blind drunk »

Have you guys read this book -

http://michaelpollan.com/books/in-defense-of-food/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Whole new (old?) look at food and health.
I do all my own stunts
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Might some confused Ozzies reading this, what we call cracking is fried or grilled pig skin. Ya can get it at any bar or service station. When Grandpa would kill a pig all the left overs from clarifying lard would get put in the mincer with salt and spice, this paste was called greben and we use to eat it as a spread on bread. I haven't eaten it for a great many yrs but it remains about my favourite food, and the thing I miss most of home killed pig
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Bd-no but sounds like we did. Been thinking along those lines for years.
Croweater- cracklis same here. Outside shin cooked to help get the most outa the pig for lard. Some would puff like the ones at the convenient store other will get hard. My mama broke a tooth eating one now she doesn't eat cracklin bread to this day! :silent: I dont know what greben is and am unaware of a "spread" like you mention. Probably kept your inards greased! :wtf: Last hog I helped daddy with was after the two we had broke into the chicken pen and ate all eight of them one day while we were gone. Hard as hell to scald a 200 lb hog in a washpot-same one you gonna cook lard in! BTW-fresh lard makes the best fried fish! :thumbup:
Ga Flatwoods
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

And don't forget, eggs were REAL bad for us for a coupla years, too.

Admin... really? Hmmmmm
Oxbo Rene
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Oxbo Rene »

I gave up a long time ago worry'n bout what was good/bad for me.
Figured out that happiness was the only thing I enjoyed.
If I die, then, was nice, but, see ya'll later .....................
Matter of fact, just got charged almost $6,000.00 by funeral home for
all the gooblygoop of bury'n my sorry azz.= So, I'm paid up and ready ! ! !
Only problem I got now is, ole lady yap yappin at me for my drinkin..........
(of which, I don't go overboard anymore, just nice and slow) ........
I love cracklins, had some just the other day ....................
(and always eatin salt pork bacon for breakfast = better'n that skinny stuff) ........
It is not the matter, nor, the space between the matter,
but rather, it is that finite point at which the two meet,
that, and only that, is what is significant...........
(Of course, I could be wrong) ..........
Lima Whiskey
Novice

Post by Lima Whiskey »

We always put them floaters in the lard press. Then we threw them in a big ole Brown paper grocery sack, salted the hell out of them and shook the bag. They were always best eaten warm. I miss them things.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Lima Whiskey wrote:We always put them floaters in the lard press. Then we threw them in a big ole Brown paper grocery sack, salted the hell out of them and shook the bag. They were always best eaten warm. I miss them things.
So , you are more than just another pretty (?) face here . Despite your education you still know what is good :clap:
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Got me wanting to get back to planning on my old time smoke house agsin for a "hog killin" come November!
GA Flatwoods
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
Lima Whiskey
Novice

Post by Lima Whiskey »

I'm just starting on my college stuff. Just got my high school, life and the Marine Corps to go on for now.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Lima Whiskey wrote:I'm just starting on my college stuff. Just got my high school, life and the Marine Corps to go on for now.
Anything beyond that is bonus . Continue the mission :thumbup:
goose eye
Master of Distillation

Post by goose eye »

Like the ole boys pa said. Failure ain't a option

So IM tole