pit roasted goat kid

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

pit roasted goat kid

Post by jedneck »

Off to dig hole in ground to roast a kidd in. Hole is 2x2x2 feet. gonna lite fire in fill hole with coals, lay front shoulder n hind quarter wrapped in aluminum foil on coals , n cover with dirt dig up in morning n go to family cookout with yummy.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: pit roasted goat kid

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Never had goat, but sounds good. Do you use any kind of seasoning on it?

If God had meant for us to be vegaterians, he wouldn't have made meat - words to live by.

Just sayin',
S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

I have done a lot of deep pits, that's what we call them here. They always come out good! Give them a heavy seasoning rub, wrap them up tight , cook them slow and enjoy! Sounds real good to me!
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

jedneck wrote:Off to dig hole in ground to roast a kidd in. Hole is 2x2x2 feet. gonna lite fire in fill hole with coals, lay front shoulder n hind quarter wrapped in aluminum foil on coals , n cover with dirt dig up in morning n go to family cookout with yummy.
When posting a recipe it always helps if ya give details . like how much coal ect.
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

The way we did it was to dig a hole and put a big ring in it. It can be steel or concrete. Old concrete pipes work great. Mine is 3 feet wide and 4 feet deep flange up with a steel lid.
thCA6DV868.jpg
thCA6DV868.jpg (5.26 KiB) Viewed 2080 times
Then start a fire in it , we would burn broken oak pallets and such or almond wood from the orchards, any hard wood. NO PINE and let it burn till there is about a 2 foot bed of coals and then let it burn down till there are no flames just glowing embers. Takes about 5 hours( this is a good time for hanging out and taste testing spirits if you've a mind to) Then take a big bunch of pork butts or beef front shoulder clods and season the heck out of them . If you think there is too much put some more on it. remember a beef front shoulder is 25 to 40 pounds. I would use about 2 pounds of seasoning. A mix of salt , pepper, onion powder, garlic powder some oregano and a touch of celery flakes. Then take your meat and wrap it 3 or 4 times in tin foil then wrap it a couple of times in white butcher paper, un waxed then put it in a burlap sack and wrap it up. Then take some bailing wire and twist it around it like a birthday package and put a loop on the end of it . Then wet it down a bit and throw it in the pit with the loop up. put the lid on the pipe and cover with dirt and pack it down. then sprinkle water on the dirt and pack again and check for any smoke. If air gets to the meat it will burn. watch it for another 1/2 hour just to make sure. Then go in and go to bed it should be about 11:00 at night by now. Dig it up the next day about noon and use a hook to grab the loop you put in the wire so you don't burn yourself and put the bag and everything in an old tub or something to carry it in. It will stay hot for a few hours. When it is time to serve pull the wrapped meat out of the bag and then take the paper off. put it in a big serving tray and pull off the tin foil. The meat will fall apart. Pull all the meat and put it on your plate with some good beans and salsa and enjoy.
deep-pit-barbeque-bbq-beef-snelling-homecoming-bakethiscake.jpg
Halfbaked
retired

pit roasted goat kid

Post by Halfbaked »

Damn it Corene you are making me hungry!!!!!!!!! Now I could do me some pit roasted pig or steer or lamb or moose or elk etc etc etc. I don't know about that goat??????? Them some stinky animals. I'd say it taste like pit roasted skunk. Does it? If not what does it taste like? Gotta be gamey.
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

halfbaked wrote:Damn it Corene you are making me hungry!!!!!!!!! Now I could do me some pit roasted pig or steer or lamb or moose or elk etc etc etc. I don't know about that goat??????? Them some stinky animals. I'd say it taste like pit roasted skunk. Does it? If not what does it taste like? Gotta be gamey.
I have never been to fond of goat but the only goat I have ever had was when my boss did a Big Game deep pit party. There was deer , elk , wild boar, even some bear, but some one put some old Spanish goat that they got on Catalina Island before they closed it to hunting. It was not good. Very greasy and gamey. Maybe a home raised young goat would be better.
jase1977
Novice

Post by jase1977 »

makes great sausage's, mix the meat up with spices etc
Pyewacket
Swill Maker

Post by Pyewacket »

I managed an apartment complex for some time. I swear to god the Cuban families would do these pits for pork in their tiny backyards ground level apartments. I should have never let them do it! But damn them, they would always bring me a giant plates of food with the pork/beans/rice...omg, died and gone to heaven...they got a pass~
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

dug the hole and hit a spring. The damn thing filled with water.. So I cooked it low and slow int the oven and made a ujssm bbq sauce and rolls. YUMMY.
big help
Dunder
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

jedneck wrote:dug the hole and hit a spring. The damn thing filled with water.. So I cooked it low and slow int the oven and made a ujssm bbq sauce and rolls. YUMMY.
Is it good clean spring water? If so I bet you could make some good mash's out of it. Living in the city it is hard to find good clean unprocessed water.
Richard7
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Richard7 »

I wish I could dig two feet and hit a spring! Cooling water problem would be solved!
"yeah? yeah? the maple flavored kind?" A dog on you tube.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Its nice until shit like this happens. But it is worth it to have good mountian spring water. One of my projects when time allows is to build a spring/still house out of mountian stone with hand split shake roof. Gravity flow water and wood fired furnace, won't get any better.
big help
Dunder
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Not a goat fan generally, but there's a deep pit cooked goat in Mexico (Cabrito) that's excellent. I'm told it's coals, bananna leaves, seasoned goat, bananna leaves and more coals, buried, then a day cooking. If you see a flag on top of a restaurant with a goat's head on it, try that stuff.
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
googe
retired

Post by googe »

This thread is making me hungry!!!!. We used to do similar when camping on the beach, dig a pit a few feet deep, put a big fire in the bottom still theres heaps of coals and cover that with a thin layer of sand and chuck a few camp ovens in there filled with chicken, beef, lamb and vegies. Cover it all with sand and cook for around 8hrs, best tastin roast I think ive ever had!.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"