Taco salad.

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

johnny108
Bootlegger

Taco salad.

Post by johnny108 »

First, brown 1lb/500g ground beef in a skillet, drain the fat, add a cup of water and the following "taco spice mix":
2 teaspoons dried minced onion
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional- my wife isn't a fan of spicy food)
1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Simmer until water is absorbed- about 10 minutes.
(I keep a small bottle of this mix on hand at all times- with a pound/500g of beef- I can make burritos, baked taquitos, enchiladas, layered nachos or this salad)

Next, brush a large flour tortilla with any cooking oil you have on hand, and bake on a cookie sheet (lined with parchment paper for easy clean up, and no sticking)for 8 minutes at 180C/350F, watch to make sure it doesn't burn.
Immediately take the hot tortilla out of the oven, and put in a soup plate, with a heavy weight in the middle, to get the tortilla to take on a bowl shape- when it cools- it will be crispy and stiff. Wipe off any remaining oil with a paper towel.
Lay the cooled tortilla on the plate, and add 1-4 ounces of the meat, followed by:
1-4 ounces kidney beans (optional- but it makes that "full stomach" feeling last for 4 hours)- you can use refried beans, if you prefer.
3/4 cup finely shredded iceberg lettuce,
1-2 slices cheddar cheese, shredded. (I can't get block or shredded cheddar cheese where I live, so I dice up the sliced stuff)
3 or 4 diced black olives
A small dab of salsa and a dab of sour cream on the edge of the tortilla for presentation- and that's it.

Tips: After I brown the ground beef, I pour it out of the skillet into a colander, and rinse out the skillet. I then rinse the beef with hot water from the sink,then put it back in the skillet, and add the seasonings. Why? When The beef is re-heated the next day for leftovers- it doesn't leave a waxy/greasy
taste in your mouth.

One of my Mexican food recipes I make here in Germany...
AngelaTom
Novice

Re: Taco salad.

Post by AngelaTom »

Looks like a great salad, I will surely give it a try.