Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

yep, I did use those spent grains....

Post by BoomTown »

for a bread recipe.

Not that I had one, I sort of made one up.

I took 1 cup of grains from a 50/25/25 mix of spent corn/wheat/barley malt, added 2 cups of flour, 1/2 cup of canola oil, 1/2 cup of warm water, 1/3 cup white sugar, and a tablespoon of redstar yeast. Mixed to a very damp dough, allowed to rise to double it's volume twice, then slipped it into a 350 F degree, preheated oven for 40 minutes.

Taste and texture is more like a cake than a bread, but I'm wondering what would have happened had I been aiming at some sort of sandwich size flatter loaf than a bowl or bread pan. Loved the crust, and the heart...

yet, will make some for my office mates....

Boom
Last edited by BoomTown on Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
Halfbaked
retired

Re: yep, I did use those spent grains....

Post by Halfbaked »

I will have a slice of cake/bread and 3 fingers of that all grain please. It sounds good. Waste not want not. If the texture it like cake maybe some sugar or brown sugar next time and drown it with some white sugar topping like you put on a pound cake.
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I been feelin' real bad about baggin' up my spent SF grain and throwin' it in the gargage. It always looks good enough to eat with a spoon. But, the old woman and the daughter both have celiac disease, so I can't be feedin' them barley - makes them righteously sick.

That bread/cake sounds real good though. Maybe I'll whip up some for me and the boy - keep the women folk at a distance from it.

Just sayin',
S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
steve2md
Swill Maker

Post by steve2md »

I've been thinking of trying a bread with my spent grains, but drying them first, and grinding them to flour. Could be interesting
I told the officer "I have my .45 on my hip, a 9mm in the console, and my shotgun under the seat" He said "Damn! What are you afraid of?" "Nothing" I replied...
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I was adding about 2/3 cup of freshly spent grains from a UJSSM style all grain into our usual breadmaker recipe and getting good feedback from the proles.
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I make dog biscuits out of it.
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

Here ya go BT, these guy's use there spent grains to make products to sell in there pub I guess it is. They post the recipes freely. You might like this site.

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/cat ... grainchef/
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I've been throwing mine in the compost, but some of those recipes sound pretty good WV, will talk to my wife as she is a retired Home Ec teacher and see what she has to say!
Theo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Theo »

My buddy has some wild turkeys that know when the spent grain is served. :thumbup:
Still happy, Still learning, Still reading
Theo

New distiller reading lounge. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

That would be good to lure the turkeys in for thanksgiving but I thing WV has it right. Those blondies look to be great. I am thinking that all grain malt is what they are using and corn would turn me off if I had to pick some out of it. Corn might make me think of something else I don't want to think about when eating something that looks real nice. How bought drunk turkeys and then a blondie. IM in.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

wv_cooker wrote:Here ya go BT, these guy's use there spent grains to make products to sell in there pub I guess it is. They post the recipes freely. You might like this site.

http://brooklynbrewshop.com/themash/cat ... grainchef/
Hey Dub....those folks are a lot more artsy than me. Mine turned out looking like half a basket ball, and tasted great. Am thinking about doing some more tonight during the ball game.

Boom
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

No turkeys around here, but when I was putting the spent corn out, a drake showed up every day, and brought his missus with him a few times.... or maybe she followed him to find out why he was getting home pissed every night.
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

The deer and the geese love the spent grains

So does the dog and OMG the dog farts are the
worst thing ever

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
S-Cackalacky
retired

Post by S-Cackalacky »

Coyote wrote:The deer and the geese love the spent grains

worst thing ever

Coyote
It's a good thing having a bunch of gassy dogs around the house. I never get fussed at for my farts - just make like it was the dogs.

Just sayin',
S-C
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
wv_cooker
Trainee

Post by wv_cooker »

I think they are more of a beer brewery than distillery, but some could be converted I'm sure. They do look tasty and anyone with a brewery could sure up there usage from their grains. Glad you enjoyed.
Theo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Theo »

worst thing ever

Coyote
I was thinking of making dog treats with spent grain. Maybe not such a good idea. :wtf:
Still happy, Still learning, Still reading
Theo

New distiller reading lounge. http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=46
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Theo wrote:

worst thing ever

Coyote
I was thinking of making dog treats with spent grain. Maybe not such a good idea. :wtf:
No dog here, the turkey's here all wear silk suits and drive mercedeze, but I'd bet that there would be no difference in the smell of the gass these turkeys would pass and what passes for 'legislative dialogue' cross the river now, even if they were eating the spent grain....feed the dog the grain...

Boom ( cross the river from Congress)
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

It's a bit tricky getting out to the hunting block at the moment because we are looking after my geriatric Dad, but when we are free I'm sure spent grains will be bringing pigs from miles around.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Wanted to bring my 'spent grain bread' to Thanksgiving dinner at a friends house, but we ate part of it last night. :(

Oh well, next year I'll make more, and bigger loafs.... :ebiggrin:

If you live in a country where today is a holiday, Happy Thanksgiving day! Tip one up for ol BoomTown and friends!

Boom
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Well, my bread is a hit! Am asked to bring some to a pre-holiday dinner party tonight that is being hosted by an emerging chef over in D.C.

Now I have to fine tune the recipe a bit, it's ok with me if it slumps a little in the middle as it bakes, but it looks a littl funny. I'd like to figure how how to make it stay 'raised' up as it bakes.. :? .I'm thinking it's some kind of chemistry issue, maybe I'm not baking at the right temperature....? any help ? :eh:

Boom
WalkingWolf
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by WalkingWolf »

BoomTown wrote:Well, my bread is a hit! Am asked to bring some to a pre-holiday dinner party tonight that is being hosted by an emerging chef over in D.C.

Now I have to fine tune the recipe a bit, it's ok with me if it slumps a little in the middle as it bakes, but it looks a littl funny. I'd like to figure how how to make it stay 'raised' up as it bakes.. :? .I'm thinking it's some kind of chemistry issue, maybe I'm not baking at the right temperature....? any help ? :eh:

Boom
Find some gluten (Vital Wheat Gluten) and add a tablespoon to your recipe.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

WalkingWolf wrote:
BoomTown wrote:Well, my bread is a hit! Am asked to bring some to a pre-holiday dinner party tonight that is being hosted by an emerging chef over in D.C.

Boom
Find some gluten (Vital Wheat Gluten) and add a tablespoon to your recipe.
thanks Wolf, I will.

Boom