smoker

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Halfbaked
retired

smoker

Post by Halfbaked »

Just bought a smoker from Tractor supply that has some potiential. http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/m ... _vc=-10005" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow It has a smoker box that has a thermostat that you can control the heat and smoke at any temp up to 300. $129 If I ever get back to running I see smoked corn and wheat being dried and smoked in there. It has 4 shelves in there that could be lined with SS window screen and 1x1s. It is insulated. I seasoned it outside last night and it was 30 degrees and it held 275 degrees.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Re: smoker

Post by jedneck »

Just got run turning a old fridge into a smoker. Heat in with wood for now till I find a old electric stove to get parts from to go elect. Got 7 lbs of venison smoking now for shit on a shingle.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

If I ever used my smoker for grains all of my beef and fish taste would probably come acrossed :sarcasm:
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

Can it be controlled down to under 125 deg f? Anything over that will denature enzymes. And would be roasting it. Although it would smoke it good.

I to am building a fridge smoker. And also a fridge dehydrater. Both electric.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
F6Hawk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by F6Hawk »

If heat is a concern for grains, cold smoking is simple and would prolly do a great job. Have seen them built as simply as using a cardboard box and a soldering iron in a used vegetable can.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I have not tried it at 100 but the box says it will maintain 100-275.
Prairiepiss
retired

Post by Prairiepiss »

If it would go down to 90. You could smoke cheese.

100 would be good for malt. I try to keep mine between 90 and 100 when drying it.

I built a cold smoker attachment for my smoker. It doesn't add any heat to the smoker. Works great. They aren't hard to build.
It'snotsocoldnow.

Advice For newbies by a newbie.
CM Still Mods
My Stuffs
Fu Man

Mr. Piss
That's Princess Piss to the haters.
ga flatwoods
Master of Distillation

Post by ga flatwoods »

Halfbaked next time you smoke a chicken or turkey just pack his ass full of the malt and cinch his legs together. Maybe throw a couple strips of bacon in there to and pour the smoke to it. Before the internal temp gets too high empty entire gut cavity into your fermenter and continue smoking chicken turkey. It tskes a couple of time doing this dry before you can do it while sipping some of the results. Be telling your buds" Mummmm! I can taste that bird now!"
The hardest item to add to a bottle of shine is patience!
I am still kicking.
Ga Flatwoods
cajunmuscadine
Novice

Post by cajunmuscadine »

halfbaked wrote:I have not tried it at 100 but the box says it will maintain 100-275.
I had that smoker until it rusted out. It will hold the temps listed but you will not get much smoke at the lower temps because the element will not be on long enough to light the wood in the tray.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Ga hahahahha turkey with a yeast infection you kill me.... likkkkkker and gravy with giblets my favorite things. This smoker has a hole in the side of it where you put the wood chips and could put cold smoke in the hole easy.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Fired up the smoker today. Just a couple slabs of pork that would not fit into canning jars.
Attachments
IMG_20140418_171750.jpg
big help
Dunder
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

Holy smokes. Man that looks good.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Its amazing what time in a smoker will do to a old breeder sow. They got a little dry cause not much fat in the meat. Pairs really good with my oaked 3 grain ujssm.
big help
Dunder
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

It looks to hot for a smoker. It looks more like a grill because of the black. I really don't care it looks amazing and I can almost smell it. Do you call that smellavission????????
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

halfbaked wrote:It looks to hot for a smoker. It looks more like a grill because of the black. I really don't care it looks amazing and I can almost smell it. Do you call that smellavission????????
Some times ya gotta turn up the heat if ya wanna eat on time :ebiggrin:
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Coyote
retired

Post by Coyote »

Put 6 huge pork racks on the smoker at 5 AM this morning
for tomorrows dinner.

Sage, onions, garlic, black pepper, brown sugar, then
soaked for 24 hours in apple juice and apple cider vinegar.

Low and slow for 34 hours

Goin' to have some yum yums!

Coyote
"Slow Down , You'll get a more harmonious outcome"
"Speed & Greed have no place in this hobby"
bellybuster
Master of Distillation

Post by bellybuster »

I use a charcoal smoker that I want to convert to electric.
Every time I'm running it I get some fast fry pork chops and toss them on and spray with apple juice throughout the day. They come out like candy. I call them my snackins
aquavita
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by aquavita »

I think it's fire - or the relationship with fire that gets me pumped about the grill/smoker/still thing.

There must be a "genetic memory" from my past that drives me to spend the time that I do perfecting the skills. No one in my family bothers to try - they've been too citified.

Have the grill and smoker mastered (gotta run charcoal of course) - know how to drive my pot still, now I just need to learn to ferment. :D

Could not fire up the still today - so I put a nice pork shoulder in the smoker. Brown sugar, Kosher Salt, Black Pepper and some Red Pepper Flakes rub - smoking nice and slow using some old apple wood. Damn it smells good.

Don't have bourbon or rum of my own made yet, so I'll rock some Makers with dinner. Mmm can't wait.
BoisBlancBoy
Distiller

Post by BoisBlancBoy »

I just put two pork tenderloins in some brine this morning with a little teriyaki sauce added. I'll be putting them in the smoker about 10am tomorrow and have them done for Easter dinner tomorrow evening! Low and low at 225-240f, smoked with hickory wood! Yum, my mouth is already watering!
chocdoc
Novice

Post by chocdoc »

I have a little item called a Pro-Q - it's a wire maze like basket that you put wood sawdust in, light one end to get it smouldering and then put it in an enclosed area with the stuff you want to smoke. I use it in my Big Green Egg ceramic cooker - but a cardboard box would work just fine. I've smoked cheese, chocolate and a whole bunch of other things successfully with this.