Made my own cheese in 1 hr with milk, lemon juice and salt.

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Made my own cheese in 1 hr with milk, lemon juice and salt.

Post by CanadianBacon »

4 litters whole milk,
1 cup concentrated lemon juice
1 tbsp salt and 1/4 pepper.

Tastes like store bough cottage cheese to me with just a hint of lemon ( i used abit to much) I would cut down to 1/2 cup lemon concentrate or 3/4 lemon juice.

Heated the milk till it JUST started to boil, dumped in lemon, stired and turned off heat, stired for 15 min. remover and let stand for 20 min. strained in a clean cotten t shirt and squezzed all water out and seasoned and stired. Going to cold smoke it tomorow with apple and hickory chips ( because i was smoking i had to smash out almost all the milk. But if you just want to eat it leave abit in there so its creamy ) This is awesome on its own or on pasta.

Some people will also add abit of butter milk in, hot peepers and rennet ( rennet is a ingredient that will coagulate it more and make it close to mozzarella and is needed if you making hard cheese)
pounsfos
Distiller

Re: Made my own cheese in 1 hr with milk, lemon juice and sa

Post by pounsfos »

wow thats amazing

I've always wanted to get into making cheese (for a country that supplies 1/3 of the world with dairy, we pay an arm and a leg for dairy products)
heartcut
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by heartcut »

Rennet is made from the sphincter muscles of cattle (rennets).
heartcut

We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know.

W. H. Auden
hitek redneck
Novice

Post by hitek redneck »

rockchucker22 wrote:
heartcut wrote:Rennet is made from the sphincter muscles of cattle (rennets).
Yep and is used in cheese making. I started majoring mozzarella last year and the recipes all call for it.
I never worry where things come from anymore.. you should see where Taurine (crap in red bull and other energy drinks) comes from.

and as not to highjack your thread.. that cheese recipe sounds interesting. Finaly consistency more like cottage cheese or cream cheese??
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

rockchucker22 wrote:You didn't use any rennet?
No rennet, Close to ricotta but if you do add rennet it would be mozzerella, I just didnt have any on hand.
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

hitek redneck wrote:
rockchucker22 wrote:
heartcut wrote:Rennet is made from the sphincter muscles of cattle (rennets).
Yep and is used in cheese making. I started majoring mozzarella last year and the recipes all call for it.
I never worry where things come from anymore.. you should see where Taurine (crap in red bull and other energy drinks) comes from.

and as not to highjack your thread.. that cheese recipe sounds interesting. Finaly consistency more like cottage cheese or cream cheese??
Close to ricotta, but once u press it it holds, I will add rennet next time.
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I have made cheese and used rennet. I thought I was the only wierd one but I guess the world is full of them. It was pretty good cheese. The hard part is getting the whole milk. I also made butter. Curds and whey are to dye for if you have not tied them. You know the little miss muffet sat on her tuffett. Sorry I will stop. I didn't mean to hijack.
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I also make cheese. Made a montsio that I age for 10 months :D . It is similar to Parmesan. Gonna do it again n make a pepperoni also. And a single malt wheat. Shit now I'm hungry.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Will do soon as I get my recipe book back from a buddy.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
CanadianBacon
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by CanadianBacon »

halfbaked wrote:I have made cheese and used rennet. I thought I was the only wierd one but I guess the world is full of them. It was pretty good cheese. The hard part is getting the whole milk. I also made butter. Curds and whey are to dye for if you have not tied them. You know the little miss muffet sat on her tuffett. Sorry I will stop. I didn't mean to hijack.

I have started to slowly start to make allot of my foods/drinks and stuff I use. Next goal is to learn how to skin and cut up game I hunt.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

True that! Paying someone to make your cuts is like paying to ruin good meat. I did it once. They stole half of my elk and the other half tasted like white tail. :evil: