Chicken Fried Steak. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

NZChris
Master of Distillation

Re: Chicken Fried Steak. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

Post by NZChris »

This method won't work with a 3/8" slice. 3/4" minimum is much better. No form of torture is necessary. Do not hammer it, poke it, needle it, whatever.

Put the steak on a wire rack over a tray. Refrigerate for 2 days, letting air circulate around the meat and start to dry it out. This will concentrate the flavor and start to tenderize the meat.

Two hours before you want to cook, take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature.

Place a heavy-bottomed frying pan over a high heat, add a thin layer of olive oil. Heat until the oil is smoking hot.

Sprinkle the steak with salt.

Cook for 2–3 minutes turning every 15–20 seconds to develop a crisp flavorsome exterior without being overcooked in the center.

Rest it on a wire rack for 5 minutes, without any cutting or poking.
acfixer69
Global moderator

Post by acfixer69 »

NZChris wrote:This method won't work with a 3/8" slice. 3/4" minimum is much better. No form of torture is necessary. Do not hammer it, poke it, needle it, whatever.

Put the steak on a wire rack over a tray. Refrigerate for 2 days, letting air circulate around the meat and start to dry it out. This will concentrate the flavor and start to tenderize the meat.

Two hours before you want to cook, take it out of the fridge and let it come to room temperature.

Place a heavy-bottomed frying pan over a high heat, add a thin layer of olive oil. Heat until the oil is smoking hot.

Sprinkle the steak with salt.

Cook for 2–3 minutes turning every 15–20 seconds to develop a crisp flavorsome exterior without being overcooked in the center.

Rest it on a wire rack for 5 minutes, without any cutting or poking.
Sounds like good eatin but it's not chicken fried steak. Its a whole different food with briskets and Roux gravy. :wink:

AC
Bugflipper
Novice

Post by Bugflipper »

Instead of flattening with a mallet I use one of these.
http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Grip-EZ-Pr ... enderizers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
They are about 5 bucks on ebay. They just poke holes to let merinades and stuff get in, don't flatten anything. There are also long skinny ones with more needles. Before ever using I soaked in vinegar overnight to force a patina so it won't rust in the dishwasher.
To soak I put in milk and beer for a day or more. Season the meat. Dust with seasoned flour. Put in egg wash. Then back in seasoned flour and fry. Seasoning is salt, pepper, ground cayenne and red pepper flakes. Use the excess flour for gravy.
Molon Labe
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I just googled it. I get it now. I don't know of any way to make that edible. You guys must have superb digestive systems. and good teeth. :ebiggrin: