Meat curing and smoking

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Meat curing and smoking

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Truckinbutch wrote:Roll your own , my friend . Curing has strict rules , much like distilling , related to temperatures and proportions to make a safe product . Smoking is a matter of taste . I rely on curing guides that focus on unrefrigerated storage once the curing is done . Many modern guides do not require enough cure for the meats to hang outside in ambient temperatures .
I assumed bb got a propane unit for BBQ

Are we talking about cold smoking for meat preservation or about hot (low & slow) smoking such as ribs, brisket, butts, etc.

Apples and oranges between the two.
Blah, blah, blah,........
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Yes it's propane, I'd like to do both.... Not with this unit?
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I'll be talking to you both this weekend about it!!
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bob, go here for BBQ such as chicken, ribs, briskets etc.

Scroll down a bit for the propane section but the whole site is very good.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/f/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

Cold smoking for meat preservation as grandpa and grandma did back in the day on the farm is a whole different animal as must be done with care as it can kil ya or at the very least sicker than a dog.

Best to find an experienced mentor for that.

Word.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Thanks for the help! See ya Saturday!!
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Look up meat curing as well as Morton Sugar cure. It's a place to start to research for basic knowledge.

Very rewarding but a dying art.
http://nchfp.uga.edu/publications/nchfp ... _cure.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Bigbob wrote:I'll be talking to you both this weekend about it!!
What gave you an idea that I want to talk to you when we are on the only holiday we will get this year ? You know that that is very sarcastic and meant to be humorous . If I can find a copy I will bring you a copy of food preservation methods from when it mattered . And I will spend as much time as the day allows discussing with you the concepts of food preservation . Just another 13 year old waiting on this clandestine camping trip to start .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

I'll bring my dads skin mags!! :wave:
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Truckinbutch wrote: What gave you an idea that I want to talk to you when we are on the only holiday we will get this year ?
Yeah, this whole retirement gig is waayyyyy over rated !!!!!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Bigbob wrote:I'll bring my dads skin mags!! :wave:
:clap: You got a nekkid picture of Barbie Benton ?
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

She was a beauty..... Havnt seen her lately. My Dad subscribed to modern photography. So I got to see 'artsy' nudes. That and national geographic ! Your a little older than I Butch, but I'm catching up!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Bigbob wrote:She was a beauty..... Havnt seen her lately. My Dad subscribed to modern photography. So I got to see 'artsy' nudes. That and national geographic ! Your a little older than I Butch, but I'm catching up!
HE!HE! HE! You can run as fast as you want but you ain't never gonna catch up . I just don't have the 'I was there ' ribbons to display on my chest . Crystal , Tanya , Several others liked to get nekkid in company .
> Did I mention that Charlie Pride's first paying gig was in Bluefield WV/VA at a juke joint ? I was there as a guest of a 'shiner' friend .
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

We are going to have a good time talking my friend!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Bigbob wrote:We are going to have a good time talking my friend!
:thumbup: YOUBETCHURASS!!! And watch out for SOH . She once was lead singer in a band that was invited to perform at the Ford Center . She has also stood my back in trucking situations and bar brawls .
>I seriously doubt that there is going to be any lack of conversation at Jedfest . How do we put a lid on it long enough to eat ? Everybody else eat while 1 guy is talking and when he has to swaller someone else picks up the beat ? Iduno . Can't imagine it not being fun and enlightening .
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bigbob wrote:She was a beauty..... Havnt seen her lately.
I'm thinkin' ol' Barb is getting a little long of tooth by now and on Social Security.
:wink: :lol:
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Well I finally ran my smoker today. Cooked a tri tip roast. Lesson learned, I should have put it on for 5 hours not 3. Also the chips burned out after an hour. I used some oak chips soaked in sweet feed. I put it in the oven for an hour at 350, and it must have been good because there where no leftovers! I'll get some dedicated wood smoking chips and try again! :thumbup:
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Bigbob wrote:Well I finally ran my smoker today. Cooked a tri tip roast. Lesson learned, I should have put it on for 5 hours not 3. Also the chips burned out after an hour. I used some oak chips soaked in sweet feed. I put it in the oven for an hour at 350, and it must have been good because there where no leftovers! I'll get some dedicated wood smoking chips and try again! :thumbup:
Tri tip can be a challenge. IMHO soaking chips is counter productive as you have to boil off the liquid before smoke can be generated but it's still the preferred method for a lot of folks.

Play around with some smoking pellets to make smoke . Lots of flavors available.

If you like to smoke your meat heavily keep the temp low as meat stops accepting flavor around 140*
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

That's what I read. I felt that the chips I used where thinner than the ones I've seen for smoking. I ran it at 200/250 for three hours, and the chips putout smoke for about 1 maybe 11/2 hours. This was a pre seasoned tri tip( I know, I don't like them, but the wife bought it) so there was already some flavor. But I got maybe a 1/4 inch ring and it was good. Ready to give it another try for sure.
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Want to thank my buddies TruckingButch and FreeMtnHermit for giving advice on my smoker. Just cooked up this pork loin for dinner tonight, came out perfect! Should have taken a picture of the whole thing but this is the leftovers! Next time! Thanks again you guys! :wave:
image.jpeg
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Not bad !!!!! I closed my eyeballs and licked the screen.

mmmmmmmmmmm num, num, num, num,...... 8) :lol: 8) :lol:
Nj-wine-o
Novice

Post by Nj-wine-o »

One of my favorite past times is smoking and curing meats. I still consider myself a novice at it. But I managed to make some pretty decent products. I'll post some pics once I figure out how :ebiggrin:
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Been enjoying my smoker. One more time, thanks to FreeMtnHermit and TruckingButch for providing insight and guidance.
Here's some chicken thighs and drumsticks that I smoked for 6 hours, using some oak chips that where soaked in sweet feed.
image.jpeg
Again thanks fellas! :thumbup: :wave:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

You are welcome . Bon Apetite !
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Ham, what's your preferred method. Wet or dry cure? My uncle cures 300-400 hams a year at the shop using injected brine and a wet cure. It makes a good ham but I'm looking at doing some dry cured to play around. I'm talking the old style no refrigeration needed.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

I like dry myself
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

I would love to see an S3 gathering where everybody brings recipes to share and their favorite smoke along with some hooch!
Edit: Probably gain 10 pounds :D
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I've cured both wet and dry method . Like both . I've had more problems with bone sour with dry cure on larger hams (30-40#).
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Uncle was telling me about an old widow that brought a ham in to smoke. She found the ham hanging in the grainery. Near as she could remember her husband hung it there to cure and then he pasted away a few weeks later. Everybody forgot about the ham. She found it 10 YEARS later.
Uncle washed the ham off and smoked it. When he sliced it he tried a alive to see if it was still good. He says it was the best ham he every had.

I will be dry curing some hams soon as I have extra pigs.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

Here it is
Brine ingredients
4 lbs salt
2.5 lbs sugar
.75 lb nitrate cure(pargue #1)
Water

Combine salt, sugar and cure in 5+ gallon bucket. Add water to make 5 gallons total. Stir till all is disolved

Brine is designed to inject @20% but can also be used as a soak.
For example if piece of meat weights 10lb inject till it weight 12lbs maken sure to inject so full coverage. But can also be used as a soak.

To use brine
You want whole muscle pieces. For example eye of round, top or bottom of round. Any good sized muscle piece free of fat and connective tissue will work

If injecting
weight each piece and inject to 120% original weight. Place all injected pieces in glass, ss or plastic container in refridgerator between 34 and 45*f for 7 days to cure.

If soakin
Place pieces in container pour brine over to cover. Let soak for 1 week per inch of thickness to cure. Example 3 inch thic soak 3 weeks

After the curing time remove from brine. Even ijected will have a brine cover after curing for week And hang to dry for atleast 1 week at 34 to45*f. To hang can use metal hook, needle n twine or a net bag. The point of the hang time is to start the drying.

Smoking
Hang in smoker and smoke at no more than 100*f for 24 hours then increase heat to 170*f till thickest pies is atleast 155*f. Any wood you use to grill with will work, i like hickory or oak myself. Let cool then hang in fridge for few days to set.

To use
Slice thin across the grain and enjoy. My favourite way to use is to make gravy with it and eat over toast, biskits, or fried taters. Also good anyway prosciutto is called for. Or a cracker, piece of cheese n piece of meat.

Also works on pork bellys for bacon, pork loins for canadian acon or hind leg for ham.

Sould be enuf brine for 200-250lbs of meat

Any questions ask I'll try n answer
big help
Dunder