Pickled okra, anyone got a recipe?

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Pickled okra, anyone got a recipe?

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

Anyone have a solid recipe? I planted a bunch this year not realizing how prolific they fruited....now I'm swimming in them. Hot pickled, normal, anything ya got to burn these up?
S-Cackalacky
retired

Re: Pickled okra, anyone got a recipe?

Post by S-Cackalacky »

I love pickled okra, but usually buy it at the grocery store or specialty shop. I imagine a quick blanch and a mix of brine water, rice vinegar, and a pinch of sugar would work fine. Let the liquid cool a little before adding it to the jar packed with okra. The okra will turn to a slimy mess if you get it too hot. I wouldn't use too much in the way of spices/herbs. The okra has a very subtle, but distinct flavor and I wouldn't think you would want to mask it with too much seasoning - maybe some red pepper flakes and/or onion would be plenty enough.
Every new member should read this before doing anything else:
Tap
Swill Maker

Post by Tap »

Basic pickling ratio for virtually anything.... 1 part sugar, 1 part water, 2 parts vinegar.

Trust me. I'm a chef.

You can add any kind of spices to suit your needs. Play with it.

Specifically for okra... Do a cold pickle. You don't want to heat it or it will become slimey. Bring ur liquid up to a boil with ur chosen spices. Cool it to room temp. Then add it to the okra. Let it sit in the fridge for a week or more.

Tap. Out
Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough
heynonny
Swill Maker

Post by heynonny »

The local market used to sell hot pickled okra made in Texas. Was the only way I could eat the stuff. Have not had okra since they discontinued it.

I'd love to get that or a similar recipe, ,

-h-

Oh,look!! Its a hole in the space-time contuum!!
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

I don't mind it battered and fried.

An Indian family I know once gave me Okra lightly pan-fried in cornmeal, cumin, tumeric and black pepper. They actually pre-fry it first to get rid of the slime, and use a slightly "dirty" pan which smokes, just like a wok, to impart the smoky taste. It was well made.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
DAD300
Master of Distillation

Post by DAD300 »

+1 Tap We do it just like banana peppers...wash, slice and drop in brine.

But if you want to be really lazy...when we're out of home made, buy a large jar of your favorite pickled anything. As I have fresh peppers or okra I wash, slice and drop into the store bought brine.
CCVM http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... d#p7104768" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Ethyl Carbamate Docs viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55219&p=7309262&hil ... e#p7309262
DSP-AR-20005
WhiteDevil504
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WhiteDevil504 »

Hey guys so I think I have almost eaten my body weight in pickled products now. Tap thanks for the simple recipe, it sure works on what ever you dump in there! My daughter loves the pickled okra, I put a few jalapeño slices in there and man it's good. I think next year I need to scale back how much okra I plant, the stuff is still going nuts.