corned beef

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Tater
Admin

corned beef

Post by Tater »

5 lb recipe take 1 qt ice water 1/2 oz insta cure #1 -1 oz salt and 1/2 oz honey. add pickling spice to taste and soak up to 5 lb beef in fridge 4 to 5 days.made some a few weeks ago.Had forgotten how good it was compared to store bought. Got 15 lbs chilling in cooler now. :D
I use a pot still.Sometimes with a thumper
Halfbaked
retired

Re: corned beef

Post by Halfbaked »

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!! I will bring the cabbage.
bonehead
Novice

Post by bonehead »

do the same thing then rub the outside with black pepper after it is brined and smoke it and put it in the fridge for a day or three wraped in saran wrap. it will make a pastrami that is fantastic. i have been halving jalipino peppers from the garden for the last three days to freeze for atomic buffalo tirds for the next year.
bearriver
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bearriver »

My Irish wife thanks you Tater. :thumbup:
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I gotta clean my keyboard before I post any more . The slobbers are going to short it out .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
swampdog 2
Swill Maker

Post by swampdog 2 »

Gonna have to try that TATER
DFitz
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DFitz »

I use a similar recipe. Great stuff!
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Gonna have to try this now myself! Sounds tasty. You just use like a beef roast or is there a particular cut that works best?

Funny as I was just looking into making pork rinds from scratch rather than buy em.

Bet that stuff makes a wicked Ruben!

**edit** where would one find "insta cure", is there also another name as well for it?
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Any cut of beef has worked for me as well as using deer meat.I usually watch reduced section for roasts. Heres where you can get the cure http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywor ... 89413540&h" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

I'm gonna give this a shot. Sound delicous.

I've seen Insta-Cure and pink salt for sale at alot of mom and pop hardware stores. Pink salt and Prague powder are other names to look for.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Tender quick by Morton is another good one.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Thanks SoMo, hellbilly, tater. Going to have a look at bulk store and one good specialty type store see if I can find it, if not amazon it is.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

moosemilk wrote:Thanks SoMo, hellbilly, tater. Going to have a look at bulk store and one good specialty type store see if I can find it, if not amazon it is.
Most grocery stores sell the tender quick in the spices and seasoning aisle.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I order Tender Quick directly from Morton . About $4 a bag by the case and free shipping . Last order arrived 3 days after I ordered it .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Rivver
Swill Maker

Post by Rivver »

Hey Tater, bout how much of the pickling spice you using? It doesn't take much of that to over do it.
moosemilk
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by moosemilk »

Thanks again SoMo. I came to this board to learn to make a good drink, and because I like to learn how to do things how they once were. Much of the way I do things is "old school". Cook from scratch, growing foods, etc, as I learned from my parents and grandparents. And I've found so many here that are very much the same. Why buy it if you can make it or grow it. And to find corn beef, which I love bit never thought of looking at making, til I saw it here!

TB, don't think I have much use for a case of it yet, but if I do, I'll keep in mind.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

moosemilk wrote:Thanks again SoMo. I came to this board to learn to make a good drink, and because I like to learn how to do things how they once were. Much of the way I do things is "old school". Cook from scratch, growing foods, etc, as I learned from my parents and grandparents. And I've found so many here that are very much the same. Why buy it if you can make it or grow it. And to find corn beef, which I love bit never thought of looking at making, til I saw it here!

TB, don't think I have much use for a case of it yet, but if I do, I'll keep in mind.
Lasts mebbie forever ? A resale outfit wanting $12 a bag plus shipping gets pretty steep . A tablespoon to a pound of meat you will use it up faster than you think .
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Truckinbutch wrote:
moosemilk wrote:Thanks again SoMo. I came to this board to learn to make a good drink, and because I like to learn how to do things how they once were. Much of the way I do things is "old school". Cook from scratch, growing foods, etc, as I learned from my parents and grandparents. And I've found so many here that are very much the same. Why buy it if you can make it or grow it. And to find corn beef, which I love bit never thought of looking at making, til I saw it here!

Lasts mebbie forever ? A resale outfit wanting $12 a bag plus shipping gets pretty steep . A tablespoon to a pound of meat you will use it up faster than you think .
I've had a bag for quite a while it will keep a long time sealed up in a airtight container. Once you use it, you will find other uses for it. My favorite is rabbit summer sausage, rabbit ground with bacon yum.
googe
retired

Post by googe »

Do you use clove Tater?. Love corned beef!!!!. Best I ever had in my life was from a butcher in longreach outback QLD, second best was from a small eatery at featherston in nz.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

Rivver I use around a 1/4 cup on a 5lb chunk of meat .googe haven't add any cloves to mine but it sounds good.have a pickled egg recipe that calls for cloves and it makes for some tasty eggs
googe
retired

Post by googe »

We use 1.5kg silverside, 2 table spoons sugar, half cup.brown vinegar, 6 cloves, half a handful or so of pepper corns, couple of bay leaves. The clove really brings out the pepper taste, very nice. Cook.it for around four hours. Your making me hungry!. Would love to hear your egg thing!.
Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems.
"Homer J Simpson"
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

My mums dad use to pickle meat in these big old stone jars that would hold 5 or more gallons (they'd still be there on the farm), he use to use saltpetre to pickle but i wouldn't have a clue how much to use. got told if ya use to much you'll shit like a duck with the scours so never been game to try it.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
Tater
Admin

Post by Tater »

googe wrote:We use 1.5kg silverside, 2 table spoons sugar, half cup.brown vinegar, 6 cloves, half a handful or so of pepper corns, couple of bay leaves. The clove really brings out the pepper taste, very nice. Cook.it for around four hours. Your making me hungry!. Would love to hear your egg thing!.
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 57&t=21541
Moonster
Novice

Post by Moonster »

I use Mortons tinder quick, 1 tablespoon per pound,I take a brisket and cut it into 3 or 4 pieces so they will fit in a tupperware type bowl. I sprinkle the outside of the meat, then dissolve the rest in water and inject it into the meet in a lot of places. The meat then goes into the containers with the rest of the liquid and water to cover the meat and put on the tight fitting lid. Squeeze the air out of it if possible. Then refrigerate for about 10 days. I turn the meat and re inject it several times during the 10 days. Then some I set aside for corned beef (I will look to see the spices I tie into a cloth and boil with it, I know it has all spice berries,cloves,and mustard seeds) the rest I pepper and season with Tony's cajun seasoning and lightly smoke, then slice it thin for beef bacon. The problem is it gets eaten Quick!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Moonster wrote:I use Mortons tinder quick, 1 tablespoon per pound,I take a brisket and cut it into 3 or 4 pieces so they will fit in a tupperware type bowl. I sprinkle the outside of the meat, then dissolve the rest in water and inject it into the meet in a lot of places. The meat then goes into the containers with the rest of the liquid and water to cover the meat and put on the tight fitting lid. Squeeze the air out of it if possible. Then refrigerate for about 10 days. I turn the meat and re inject it several times during the 10 days. Then some I set aside for corned beef (I will look to see the spices I tie into a cloth and boil with it, I know it has all spice berries,cloves,and mustard seeds) the rest I pepper and season with Tony's cajun seasoning and lightly smoke, then slice it thin for beef bacon. The problem is it gets eaten Quick!
Boy ,Howdy ! Ain't that the truth :wave: My kids can sniff the air and tell when I bring some meat out of cure and they are there to simply inhale it .
Fidget
Novice

Post by Fidget »

Tater wrote:5 lb recipe take 1 qt ice water 1/2 oz insta cure #1 -1 oz salt and 1/2 oz honey. add pickling spice to taste and soak up to 5 lb beef in fridge 4 to 5 days.made some a few weeks ago.Had forgotten how good it was compared to store bought. Got 15 lbs chilling in cooler now. :D
I presumed this was going to instead be a recipie for brewing up a corned beef wort...............

:roll: :| :arrow: :mrgreen: