Malt Vinegar

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Malt Vinegar

Post by Boda Getta »

I did a Single Malt (Barley) Whiskey a couple of months ago; I left the lees in the fermenter and basically forgot about it. I went to clean up the fermenter last week and discovered the lees had turned to vinegar. I use a fair amount for vinegar for cooking, sauces, pickling, ect and figured, why waste it. I racked it off and are letting it settle further. It looks like I will end up with about 1 3/4 gals of malt vinegar. I have done some test tastes and it's not bad, every bit as good (if not better) as store brought malt vinegar. I plan to, just for the hell of it, to put a qt or so on glass with charred white oak sticks to mellow and color it. I have high hopes for it, should be interesting.

I have also been playing around with smoking fresh tomatoes and are very happy with the results, a very nice favor profile. I did a pasta sauce last night using it with home made sweet Italian sausage and it turned out very nice. I plan on doing a large batch and canning it, it should be very nice in chile and Brunswick Stew next winter. We'll see.

BG
Halfbaked
retired

Re: Malt Vinegar

Post by Halfbaked »

BG that sounds good. I wonder how it would be if you treated it like how you make Balsamic vinegar? It takes a of vinegar to make Balsamic. I bet you forget your lees on your next single malt ferment.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

I do a batch of red wine vinegar every two or three years where I make a red wine, add vinegar mother and let it turn. I take a portion of that, add a bottle of Port or Madeira and reduce it by half with results in a faux Balsamic or Balsamiv'ish vinegar that is really good. I had considered trying that same process with some of this malt vinegar, although it is a fair bit more "sharp" than the red wine vinegar starting out, but I have enough of it to try several things.

BG
pfshine
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by pfshine »

Now your ready for a cleaning run on a new bubbler build.
Life is a journey you take alone. Make sure you do what you what makes you happy
NZChris
Master of Distillation

Post by NZChris »

I'm doing a cider version of balsamic. Reduced by 1/3rd, then aging on JD chips with a tightly rolled cotton cloth for a bung. It's only a year old and it's already very nice.

A malt version could be worth a try.
Boda Getta
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Boda Getta »

NZ

Interested in knowing how that turns out, keep us informed.

BG