I May Never Smoke A Butt Again !!!

Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

I May Never Smoke A Butt Again !!!

Post by FreeMountainHermit »

Yessirrree byyygolllyy, FMH is a Boston Butt smokin' machine !!! Loves me some pulled pork sammies with cole slaw but that may come to a screechin' halt here pretty damn soon as I've just discovered the joy of doing chuck roasts on my smoker.

As a red meat lover it tasks my feeble mind as to how I've never smoked chuck roasts until just recently.

Really a flexible piece of meat that can be marinated, rubbed or injected to turn out some very,very good eats. The fatty goodness of the CR just opens the door for a multitude of possibilities.

Took a big azz chunk cut in three pieces yesterday and plopped it on the smoker seasoned with kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper.

YUM !!!!
Allowing for different cook times the 3 pieces yielded a po'mans rib eye roast,Texas style brisket (great bark btw) and some great roast beef on toast drowned in brown gravy next to a pile of smashed taters.

Cook temps ranged from a low 220 to over 400 excluding yesterdays grease fire that shot up to over 800. (We'll talk about that later) :moresarcasm:

Git on it boyz !!!!

FMH.
Last edited by FreeMountainHermit on Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blah, blah, blah,........
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Re: I May Never Smoke A Butt Again !!!

Post by corene1 »

That sounds like a great idea. We have been doing front shoulder clods in the deep pit for years now. Never thought of putting one in the smoker. Do a long slow cook, Maybe soak it in a marinade or brine overnite.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Corene1, I can't take credit for the idea as I came across it on another site that I have enjoyed for many years.

Here's the link with pics. Enjoy.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... st10390508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
corene1
HD Distilling Goddess

Post by corene1 »

FreeMountainHermit wrote:Corene1, I can't take credit for the idea as I came across it on another site that I have enjoyed for many years.

Here's the link with pics. Enjoy.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... st10390508" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
WOW! that looks awesome! Made me hungry just looking at it, bet it smelled wonderful. Have you experimented with the S type burn pattern? My son is building a new smaller smoker and he showed me some pictures of another smoker that will run on charcoal. He had a flat bottom burn box but welded in 2 flatbar dividers to make 3 rows and filled it with charcoal. it burns continuously from one end to the other so it puts out continuous heat for much longer without being tended. It will be the first smoker we have built that uses charcoal instead of hard wood.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

corene Never tried arranging my charcoal in such a pattern but a few guys do it with hardwood sawdust to add to the cooker for additional smoke flavor.

I'm currently using a WSM and a Traeger pellet smoker.

Love the WSM and have used it for about 15 years and it's capable of turning out competition quality meat but the dang Traeger pellet smoker has become my favorite as it is truly a "set it and forget" unit. With the huge variety of hardwood pellets on the market the flavor profiles available are almost endless.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Nice idea, I tried some of my used JD chips in aluminum foil with slits on the top when BBQ a steak on my gas bbq. Never got the flavor to come across as I think my temp was too low. That picture makes me want to try again.
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Put the chips directly over your burner to get them lit and smoking or light them separately in a foil packet with plenty of airflow through it.

Low temp is good when smoking as meat generally stops accepting smoke when it hits 140F or thereabouts.

Sometimes I'll smoke the hell out of a piece of meat with little or no heat applied for several hours or longer depending on the type of wood used and then finish it in a covered pan to retain the juices while in the oven @ 220ish till it hits the target internal temp.

Try it !!! :thumbup:
Copper Thumper
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Copper Thumper »

MARTYR!!!!

Your pork privvy' has thou been REVOKED forthright!!!!
Halfbaked
retired

Post by Halfbaked »

I think I know what I am making this week end. Wow that looks good
Shiny Coke
Swill Maker

Post by Shiny Coke »

Bushman wrote:Nice idea, I tried some of my used JD chips in aluminum foil with slits on the top when BBQ a steak on my gas bbq. Never got the flavor to come across as I think my temp was too low. That picture makes me want to try again.
+1 with FMH. When adding smoke on a grill, soak half the chips in water for 30mins to and hour and mix 50/50 with dry in the foil pack before adding to the burner. This will give you a more controlled and longer smoke.

@ FMH - Awesome idea! I got me a couple UDS (Ugly Drum Smokers) and get a bit tired of butt, chicken and ribs sometimes. I've done brisket a couple of times but up here in Canada they're more expensive than a rib roast and after trimming the fatcap, SH!T its half gone before you stick in the smoker. Gotta try this one for sure!
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Yummy! Nice job!!!! I need to try this.

B
Shiny Coke
Swill Maker

Post by Shiny Coke »

Q'd this on the weekend with lump charcoal and Hickory chunks since I was in the back yard running my first AG Rye mash. Turned out great but I could've used a bit more smoke. My opinion when BBQ'ing is less is more, way too easy to over-smoke and you're left with a bitter creosote covered piece of meat.

Thanks for sharing FMH!
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Bought a nice chuck roast tonight......I will be trying this soon! :thumbup:
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

pardon my non merican self but what is a chuck and how do I get one in my belly?
Don't be a dick
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

SP, a chuck roast is the front shoulder of a beef. Some other names for it are pot roast, English roast, chuck fillet, etc. There's quite a few different names for the same cut of meat. I'm not sure what it would be called in your part of the world. Your best bet would be to ask your butcher. I hope this helped somewhat.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

cheers lad, google lead me to think it was a woodchuck
Don't be a dick
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Looks wonderful.

I took down my big above ground pit a few months ago. Was too big and and because it was always a temp structure it was very fussy to keep consistent temps. Was a great tool for cooking 3 pigs at a time for parties and such but a real pita for a small roast like this. So I hadn't used it in a few years now.

I really would like to cook with a small unit now that we are moving into good weather down here in South Fla.
I was thinking maybe one of those box smokers?

Anyway, great post, pics look yummy.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

If you like chuck, You would love the Cold Smoked Sous Vide Chuck.

GOSM, Cold smoked with AMNPS
20140326009 (Custom).JPG
Pan Seared
20140327101 (Custom).JPG
Sous Vide 45 hours at 134°
20140327248 (Custom).JPG
Slice and Enjoy!
20140329255 (Custom).JPG
Smoked Chuckie
20100918183 (Custom).jpg
smoke ring
20100918190 (Custom).jpg
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
FreeMountainHermit
Site Donor
Site Donor

Swedish Pride wrote:pardon my non merican self but what is a chuck and how do I get one in my belly?
Git your butt down to the butcher ASAP. :wave:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_steak" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

http://oureverydaylife.com/part-cow-bon ... 21532.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
hellbilly007
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by hellbilly007 »

SwedishPride, lol, I've never tried any woodchuck. Who knows, it may be the next fillet mignon.

C2H5O5, did I read that correctly, "sous vide for 45 hours"?
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

hellbilly007 wrote:SwedishPride, lol, I've never tried any woodchuck. Who knows, it may be the next fillet mignon.

C2H5O5, did I read that correctly, "sous vide for 45 hours"?
Yes, all the fat renders and you can still achieve a rare piece of meat, I do London broil at 127.
It's not for everybody but you would be amazed at the finished product.
Chicken can be safely cooked at lower temps like 130 or 140.
Won't derail the thread anymore. Sorry.
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

LWTCS wrote:Looks wonderful.

I took down my big above ground pit a few months ago. Was too big and and because it was always a temp structure it was very fussy to keep consistent temps. Was a great tool for cooking 3 pigs at a time for parties and such but a real pita for a small roast like this. So I hadn't used it in a few years now.

I really would like to cook with a small unit now that we are moving into good weather down here in South Fla.
I was thinking maybe one of those box smokers?

Anyway, great post, pics look yummy.
Larry you might look into a kamado, I have one, and a texas rig, and have looked into a china BBQ box

the kamado does a better job of turning meat into butter than the texas rig, and the texas rig is bigger than

I need most of the time which is why I only looked at a china box. good luck.
be water my friend
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Well tonight was the night. 6 1/2 hour smoke at 220, tastes great!!! Doing this again and again! Thanks FreeMountainHermit! :thumbup: :clap: :clap:
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Photos...I need photos. Here ya go!
Out of the smoker
Out of the smoker
The finished product
The finished product
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Those cooker slash smokers are very popular in Oz and generally called Webers regardless off the brand.If Suzzie and I are chasing a heavy smoke flavour while cooking we use conventional hardwood and heat bead mix bit get those smoking pellets, we get a fist sized amount in two pieces of alfoil wrapped . Then we poke a bunch of holds in it and drop it on the coals. The last one we used is some 3 wood blend I think hickory, black oak and mesquite, and alive its good. That really suited trout and Salmon but is just about as good with a good sized roast
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin