Place for any food recipes that ya want to share

Moderator: Site Moderator

NcHooch
retired

Pork Rib BBQ

Post by NcHooch »

Last time I did ribs, it went like this :

ingredients : 2 full racks of pork ribs
Dry rub : Bad Byron's Butt rub , or somethin similarly tasty.
Charcoal (for Heat)
White Oak chunks (for flavor)

Rub down the ribs on both sides with the Bad Byron's and let stand overnight in the fridge if possible.
Start your charcoal in the smoker (with a propane torch or chimney) . Once the smoker is up to 225, slide the ribs in as well as the water pan**.
Add water soaked oak chunks as needed, and smoke for 3 hours at 225.

After 3 hours, remove the ribs and wrap tightly in aluminum foil. Put em back in the smoker for another 3 hours at 225. No more oak is needed at this point (just the charcoal) .

At the end of 6 hours, remove from the smoker and let stand about 30 mins. Serve with your favorite sides (beans, Collards, Okra, Slaw, Mac&Cheese, or all of the above) :)

If you did it right, they stay intact just enough to slice 'em up between the bones, but tender enough that the meat pulls away from the bones clean when you take a bite. I usually give them another dusting of the rub right before serving .

**The water pan goes inside the smoker between the fire and the meat, and prevents the juices from dripping on the fire.

Enjoy
NChooch
Practice safe distillin and keep your hobby under your hat.
Appalachia-Shiner
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Pork Rib BBQ

Post by Appalachia-Shiner »

I did a small pork roast yesterday. Smoked for 4 hours and then wrapped it in aluminum foil. Kept it running till it was fork tender.
I am of the opinion that meat picks up about all the smoke it will in 4 or 5 hours. I always cook on Hickory that was left over from winter firewood. Maybe throw in a chunk of white oak along the way.
Where's Frodo?? He's the food expert.
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Foiling for three hours is gonna make ribs mush.Most folks prefer 3-2-1 ribs, three hours on pit, 2 hours in foil, 1 hour to firm back up for fall offthe bone ribs.
I prefer a tug, and no foil, foiling changes the texture of the meat.
I trim St. Louis style, remove the button and silver skin. Coat with Soy, WORCESTERSHIRE, JD, and coat lightly with Rub "recipe tweak from Robert Irvine", pit cook for three hours, start building a glaze after three hours with my barbecue sauce, coating, flipping and coating, after quite a few coats of barbecue sauce about two hours, ribs are checked fore doneness using the bend test, ribs are then hit with a quick char on the grill.
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
C2H5O5
Swill Maker

Post by C2H5O5 »

Appalachia-Shiner wrote:I did a small pork roast yesterday. Smoked for 4 hours and then wrapped it in aluminum foil. Kept it running till it was fork tender.
I am of the opinion that meat picks up about all the smoke it will in 4 or 5 hours. I always cook on Hickory that was left over from winter firewood. Maybe throw in a chunk of white oak along the way.
Meat will acquire smoke as long as smoke is supplied, however, the smoke ring stops at a certain point
"Carrots may be good for your eyes, but Booze will double your vision"

HD Search This helped me!
Shiny Coke
Swill Maker

Post by Shiny Coke »

C2H5O5 wrote:
Appalachia-Shiner wrote:I did a small pork roast yesterday. Smoked for 4 hours and then wrapped it in aluminum foil. Kept it running till it was fork tender.
Meat will acquire smoke as long as smoke is supplied, however, the smoke ring stops at a certain point
The chemistry behind smoke absorption (pink smoke ring) is it will only take effect to about 120F. After that all you're doing is building smoke residue up on the outside of your meat. All you want to see when Q'ing is a faint blue wisp of smoke for the duration coming out of the chimney.
I agree 3hours in foil seems way too long but if you're not competing, cook it how you and yours like to eat it :thumbup:
I foil mine for only an hour and before I do I spread margarine and brown sugar on them. After that hour they get unwrapped and back on to dry out a bit and finish.
Dang - now I wish I made ribs tonight instead of lasagna.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

How do you make ribs or kill rattler snakes wrong ? I do agree with the cold smoking idea . Everybody cleans their plate at my house and goes back for more .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Ennyone use a Traeger? I sure like mine. Makes good stuff!
Probably kinda upscale for summa you backcountry fellers tho. Needs electrikery. :ewink:

tp
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Truckinbutch wrote:How do you make ribs or kill rattler snakes wrong ?
By using an oven. Wrong tool for ribs,and too bulky to throw accurately enough to work on snakes. :thumbup:
Jb-tex
Last edited by jb-texshine on Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Shiny Coke
Swill Maker

Post by Shiny Coke »

Truckinbutch wrote:How do you make ribs or kill rattler snakes wrong ?
Oh I done it. Took my drum smoker into the woods last year camping with some friends for a rib fest. Problem was too much drinking and B.S'ing, not enough paying attention to the Q. Made rib jerky. :( Still ate them all though cuz everyone was 3 sheets and didn't matter much. The beans kinda balanced them out.