Need Jars? Strawberry Jam Shine

Little or nothing to do with distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Sherak
Novice

Need Jars? Strawberry Jam Shine

Post by Sherak »

New to distillation and in need of jars faster than I could consume things to get them I looked at buying empty jars, turned out the cheapest way was to buy value strawberry jam from the supermarket. £0.29 a jar I bought 18 of them.

Throwing the jam out seemed a waste so I put all the jam in a carboy, added 5ltr of near boiling water, dissolved the jam, added another 15ltr of cold water, threw in handfull of bakers yeast and left for 3 weeks.

Stilled off just under 2ltr of 50-60% spirit in a pot still with a nice flavor, and made the cuts in the jars provided :D
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Re: Need Jars? Strawberry Jam Shine

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

That's so cool..hats off!
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
liquid therapy
Novice

Post by liquid therapy »

Ohhhhh much better then pickles. 16, 1 gallon jars filled with pickles... I have a bunch of nice jars, with out lids, was never able to get the taste out of them, but still cant look at another pickle. Can you sat pickle soup, pickle ala king, pickle casserole? Ugh lol.
SoMo
Distiller

Post by SoMo »

Sherak glad that worked out for you, sometimes things do just fall into your lap.
Everything's better home made, everything!!
15.5 keg 7.75keg 2"pot still, Gold CM
Never look down on a man unless it's to help him up.
WooTeck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by WooTeck »

that’s a brilliant idea. wish i had read this post before i put an order in for mason jars. at least i know for next time im out of jars.

eck
freshwaterjellyfish
Swill Maker

Post by freshwaterjellyfish »

Lmfao...pickles..eh? I will tell you you CAN get the smell outta the lids. Ive got large "valasic" jars. I had to soak them everytime i had a sink of soapy water. I use them for whiskey back set.
Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed , feels alone in a cruel world. Doctor says, "Treatments simple. The great clown Pagliacci is in town tonight. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears."But doctor. I am Pagliacci." 
goblin
Bootlegger

Post by goblin »

oxiclean free is what i use. i put up many quarts of pickles, once i have a empty jar, i fill the jar with a oxiclean solution. works for me.
Sherak
Novice

Post by Sherak »

many lol's re pickle jars! I have a large pickle jar and a couple of large vinegar jars, they are a couple of years old and have been soaked numerous times, I have used them a couple of times to collect the stripping run and I'm sure its just paranoia but man I'm sure I can still smell the vinegar :)
StillLearning1
Trainee

Post by StillLearning1 »

What was the SG of the jam?Just curious.
But what the heck do I know.....I am still learning.
FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

you can order lids from numerous online sources for jars of various mouth sizes just a mater of figuring out what mm lid you need...
copper sweat
Swill Maker

Post by copper sweat »

One of my fermenter drums was used for pickles. It was extremely hard to get rid of the smell I had to wash it a lot with just about every soap I could get
sdpoage
Bootlegger

Post by sdpoage »

Lemon juice squeezed from lemons, not the bottled stuff will take the smell out also.
You know your an alcoholic when you have your own still, mash your own grain and distill your own likker, but you don't care!!! A.A. is for quitters.

The only laws worth breaking are the ones that don't make sense!
Sherak
Novice

Post by Sherak »

StillLearning1 wrote:What was the SG of the jam?Just curious.
I'm not 100% as I write it on a label and stick to side of carboy, which I remove when I put new stuff in, off the top of my head thou about 1.09 roughly.