Simple single malt

Forum to share your beverage recipes. Feel free to post recipes in this forum, they will be locked. Posts should have complete recipes with all ingredients and directions fully explained. Any comments or questions will have to be started under new topic. This forum is for family recipes or recipes that you have tried and want to share with others, relating to our hobby only.

Moderator: Site Moderator

kornflake
Novice

Simple single malt

Post by kornflake »

Here is a simple recipe that I have been working on.

12 gallons of water.
24 pounds of 2 row. (I have been using Great Western Malting Washington select 2 row malt)
Yeast.

You can use what ever 2 row you want, each one has its own unique flavor profile and this recipe was meant to highlight those.

Yep that is it, I said it was simple. I start by heating 7 gallons of water to 158 - 160 degrees and then dump in the 2 row and let it mash in for the next 60 - 80 minutes keeping the temp at that point around 148. Mainly depending on if I get bored and I'm willing to wait 20 more minutes. Then I transfer it to my boil pot and spare out the grains with 5 more gallons of water at 175 degrees bringing my boil volume to 12ish gallons. At this point I bring it up to a boil to get it to hot brake helping break up the proteins and reducing the volume to 10 gallons and raising the starting gravity a little.

After all that's said and done, I age it 6 month on medium toast oak cubes.