aqua vitae suecicus's finest akvavit

Forum to share your beverage recipes. Feel free to post recipes in this forum, they will be locked. Posts should have complete recipes with all ingredients and directions fully explained. Any comments or questions will have to be started under new topic. This forum is for family recipes or recipes that you have tried and want to share with others, relating to our hobby only.

Moderator: Site Moderator

aqua vitae
Swill Maker

aqua vitae suecicus's finest akvavit

Post by aqua vitae »

Here is the recipe for my favourite akvavit. I originally found this recipe on the web in Swedish and will now try to translate it for you. It's a copy of the brand Falu Brännvin that is no longer made.
It's both sweet and a little bit bitter and with elegant anise and citrus flavour.

Pour 70 cl (1.5 pints) of your finest 40% ABV neutral in a one litre container with a pretty big opening.
Add
*1 tsp whole caraway
*1 tsp whole fennel
*1 whole star anise
*15 g (.5 oz ) of bitter orange peels

Let macerate for a week and the filter it.
Add 1 dl (7 tbsp) sugar and let i melt.

Now add some more neutral. This is a question of how strong flavour you like but I add about 25 cl (.5 pint) or so.

To add some body and sourness add 4 cl (8 tsp) full bodied Scotch and the juice from half a lemon.

It's ready to drink right away but the taste gets better if it's allowed to rest for a while.
Enjoy!

Also at http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... =4&t=19467