Scotch Whisky With Sugar.

Forum to share your beverage recipes. Feel free to post recipes in this forum, they will be locked. Posts should have complete recipes with all ingredients and directions fully explained. Any comments or questions will have to be started under new topic. This forum is for family recipes or recipes that you have tried and want to share with others, relating to our hobby only.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Devonhomebrew
Swill Maker

Scotch Whisky With Sugar.

Post by Devonhomebrew »

10Kg Pale Barley Malt (already crushed if it is whole you do need to crush it so that the enzyme amylase in the malted grains can get to work and convert all the starches in sugars)
4kg Cane Sugar
55L Water (Any water will do i use tap water but im not in a city in the British countryside so its free of chlorine and things like that.)
100g Bakers Yeast (you can use different yeast if you want or more but with all the nutrients in the wort 100g is enough to expand grow and ferment.)

So i got 10kg of pale barley malt and mash at 65*C with 20L of water. mash for a whole hour. The best thing to do when mashing is to just leave it to convert and go do some jobs around the house i personally went and fed my lambs as they needed some milk as they are only 2 days old. So after you have mashed for a whole hour the next thing to do is to Sparge the grains to extract all the sugar from them. I ran 46L off of the mash tun with about 35L of 75*C water. Next add the 4kg of sugar this is what makes it a partial mash because you have mashed and got the most sugar out of the grains and then add sugar to bring the SG up. The SG should be somewhere between 1086-1090. Depending on how old your grains are and what efficiency you got from your mash. Mashing for 1 hour allows for the starch to be converted but if you wanted to mash over night you will get better sugar extraction due to prolonged conversion time. Fermentation should take about 10-14 days after that rack off to secondary to clear so you get a cleaner distillation. Then run through the still and Age how ever you like.

In addition to this my Grandads from Scotland so he used to make it all the time. Sometimes he would even put peated malt into the mash to get an isle style of scotch whisky. Ive made it 3 times with very good results but its 30+ years old. Thats the reason im making whisky is to carry on his tradition of making it and sharing with family in scotland. Im yet to age any though as im still inexperienced in aging spirits.

The clear spirit after the angels have had there share is a very smooth spirit with barley malt notes on the nose and on the pallet. Hopefully when i learn how to actually age spirits properly it will become even more smooth with age.