Sweet Apple Cider

Forum to share your beverage recipes. Feel free to post recipes in this forum, they will be locked. Posts should have complete recipes with all ingredients and directions fully explained. Any comments or questions will have to be started under new topic. This forum is for family recipes or recipes that you have tried and want to share with others, relating to our hobby only.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Mr Magic
Novice

Sweet Apple Cider

Post by Mr Magic »

I've already posted this once on the development page but I thought I'd throw the recipe down on this page since it seems as where it should go,

Sweet Apple Cider
13-15 lbs of pure honey
4-5 gallons of purified water
Welch's White Grape Concentrate (Yes, the yellow ended tube in the frozen section of Walmart)
Tube of White Labs California Ale Liquid Yeast (I absolutely love this stuff, great for beer or spirits, high alcohol resistance)

First fill your stockpot up with 1.5 gallons water and raise to 120*F then add honey while stirring slowly. After honey has been absorbed into the water add the White Grape Concentrate and stir till mixed in evenly set aside and let cool. Now take a 5-6 gallon fermenter and fill with rest of purified water or roughly 3 gallons, I always like to have a gallon on the water in the frigde while I'm brewing to help get the temp down when I'm getting ready to pitch my yeast. Carefully pour the contents of the stockpot into your fermenter and mix vigorously, you should now be setting at about 85-90*F, fill a gallon container with your mash and use some of the cold water from the fridge to bring temp down to 75*F. First half open your tube of yeast and let out any built up pressure then re-seal and shake till mixed. Pour into your gallon starter and stir well, put an airlock on it and set someplace warm for 2 hours. Then add the starter to your mash, seal and put in your airlock. Now basically you want to wait until the fermentation is over with before distilling, the longer the better, and let it rest a week after its done. Make your run, double distilling unless your operating a reflux/column or a thumper. Throw out your foreshots then collect your wines until you get to the backset, I like to run my still about 180-190*F, turning on the water for the condenser at about 150*F. Now fill each pint jar with a 1/2 cup of shine, half a Cinnamon stick, a Star of anise and a Clove, then fill the rest with 100% apple juice, seal the lid and let age for two weeks before enjoying.
I hope everyone enjoys my cider, thanks.