Turkish Pepper

Forum to share your beverage recipes. Feel free to post recipes in this forum, they will be locked. Posts should have complete recipes with all ingredients and directions fully explained. Any comments or questions will have to be started under new topic. This forum is for family recipes or recipes that you have tried and want to share with others, relating to our hobby only.

Moderator: Site Moderator

phillmystill
Swill Maker

Turkish Pepper

Post by phillmystill »

I sampled this strange drink in a bar in Bulgaria shortly after the fall of the iron curtain. It was served to me from an old plastic bottle with a hand written label. Its taste was of rich sweet licorice and aniseed with a fiery kick.

My first batch of neutral was on the rough side to say the least so I thought I'd try an infusion to mellow it. I threw in some spices and some licorice root and left it in my greenhouse. After about a month I found the bottle and sampled it, immediately I was transported back to that bar in Bulgaria. The recipe wasn't quite there yet but close enough that I thought i could get there. It lacked the fiery heat of the Turkish Pepper as I remembered it. I had some chilli vodka also infusing so blended some of that into my spice infusion and voila!

Here's my recipe:

700 ml 50% neutral spirit (550 ml in one bottle, 150ml in another);

to the 550 ml of neutral add

3 star anise stars (roughly crushed in a pestle and mortar)
generous handful of fennel seeds (whole)
2 sticks of liquorice root smashed with a hammer.

to the 150 ml of neutral add 4 small dried hot chillis.

Leave both bottles to infuse for a couple of months shaking regularly. Strain and blend the chilli vodka with the aniseed blend until you get a heat level you are comfortable with. Can be sweetened with black treacle or molasses to taste.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
― Mae West