3 Generation Recipe

Forum to share your beverage recipes. Feel free to post recipes in this forum, they will be locked. Posts should have complete recipes with all ingredients and directions fully explained. Any comments or questions will have to be started under new topic. This forum is for family recipes or recipes that you have tried and want to share with others, relating to our hobby only.

Moderator: Site Moderator

OlBarn65
Novice

3 Generation Recipe

Post by OlBarn65 »

Well I know this isnt exactly a unique recipe but I thought Id share what our family has ran all my life.
We usually make us a barrel of slop so what I write is set up for a 50-55 gallon whiskey barrel

Get ya about 25 pounds of corn and crack it. My old man would put it in a burlap bag, put a piece of wood over it and beat it with a hammer.
60 pounds of sugar
7-8 pounds of dry malted corn. This is just sprouted corn that you lay out and dry. Then knock the roots off.

Fill your rig on up with good clear spring/branch water. Put your cracked corn in there and heat it on up to boiling. Stir it up real real good. Once you've hit a boil and been stirring, get it on out of the still and put it in your barrel. Stir in your sugar real good. Whenever you can stick your arm elbow deep in that barrel comfortably stir in your malt and cover it up. Come back the next day and stir it one more time. We been using the same old boat oar for stirring for decades. Come back in about 5 days. If the cap has fell down, stick your hand in there. If it aint sticky. Its ready to run.