Great Books about distilling

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Great Books about distilling

Post by BoomTown »

Want to take a moment and say thank you. I've learned so much reading and watching what happens here.

Want to share a great book with the forum, "The Science and Commerce of Whisky" by Ian Buxton and Paul S. Hughes, ISBN 978-1-84973-150-8.

For us, as we've moved from a dream to our reality distillery in Pennsylvania, this book has become the go-2 manual to begin to explore the elements of each emerging challenge. It's written pretty much for the serious distiller, and provides a basic, stepping off level of understanding about so much. Hope those who are excited about the hobby enjoy this book as much as I have.

Am wishing a comparable text on Whisk-E-y were available.

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Re: Great Books about distilling

Post by kiwi Bruce »

BT where in PA are you? Kiwi Bruce
Getting hung up all day on smiles
kiwi Bruce
Distiller

Post by kiwi Bruce »

I've got this one. A pretty good read, but I've no intention of become a pro.
Attachments
Whiskey Book.jpg
Whiskey Book.jpg (63.53 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
Getting hung up all day on smiles
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

kiwi Bruce wrote:BT where in PA are you? Kiwi Bruce
Rebersburg, PA Zip 16872
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

kiwi Bruce wrote:I've got this one. A pretty good read, but I've no intention of become a pro.
Yeah I have that one too. The Buxton's book is better. Al around for novice or pro.
IMHO
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I've been reading Zymurgy Bob's book and The Joy of Home Distilling, but you're probably well beyond both of those.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

raketemensch wrote:I've been reading Zymurgy Bob's book and The Joy of Home Distilling, but you're probably well beyond both of those.
Actually Raketemensch, I've heard of Zymurgy Bob's book - but not read it yet. Could you post its ISBN number so I can google for a copy....I find that a google search frequently allows me to pay a lower price.

As for the "The Joy of Home Distilling", I've not heard of it before. Do you feel like maybe enlightening us a bit about its contribution to the art? And its ISBN?
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

BoomTown wrote:
kiwi Bruce wrote:I've got this one. A pretty good read, but I've no intention of become a pro.
Yeah I have that one too. The Buxton's book is better all around for novice or pro.
IMHO
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

BoomTown wrote:
raketemensch wrote:I've been reading Zymurgy Bob's book and The Joy of Home Distilling, but you're probably well beyond both of those.
Actually Raketemensch, I've heard of Zymurgy Bob's book - but not read it yet. Could you post its ISBN number so I can google for a copy....I find that a google search frequently allows me to pay a lower price.

As for the "The Joy of Home Distilling", I've not heard of it before. Do you feel like maybe enlightening us a bit about its contribution to the art? And its ISBN?
Sure, Joy of Home Distilling is:

ISBN-10: 1629145866
ISBN-13: 978-1629145860

And Zymurgy Bob's book is:

ISBN-10: 1935761048
ISBN-13: 978-1935761044

I got about halfway through Bob's book, then loaned it to a friend. I need something new now.
smokineod
Novice

Post by smokineod »

BoomTown wrote:
kiwi Bruce wrote:BT where in PA are you? Kiwi Bruce
Rebersburg, PA Zip 16872
Rebersburg!! Your right down the road a bit from me! Well now I'm gonna have to ask for a tour! Maybe learn something you can't learn in no book!
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

We would welcome the visit, and your help, if you're close enough....
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

I'm currently reading "Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation," and really enjoying it. Not that I'll ever be going into anything like commercial production, but I would definitely want to read this book before doing so.

The majority of posts here seem to be "use any yeast but turbo," but in reality the majority of your flavor is going to be determined by your yeast. It is, after all, what poops out your alcohol. It isn't just about caring properly for your yeast during ferment, but also about choosing the right one to begin with.

Although it's a Homebrewer-targeted book, it's extremely useful for our little endeavor as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Yeast-Practical-F ... 0937381969" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow

ISBN-10: 0937381969
ISBN-13: 978-0937381960
RandyMarshCT
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by RandyMarshCT »

The Joy of Home Distilling is a good book, I have several pictures published in it.

For people who are into neutrals, Riku's book, "Designing and Building Automatic Stills" is pretty good. Definitely some unorthodox ideas in that one.
http://www.amphora-society.com/Designin ... u_p_3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Life member, representative, and proud supporter of the Hobby Distiller's Association.

http://www.hobbydistillersassociation.org
Snowe
Novice

Post by Snowe »

Just bought "The Science and Commerce of Whisky" but haven't had a chance to open it up. Thanks for the recommendation none the less!
raketemensch
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by raketemensch »

Being a moron, I left my iPad at work on Thursday going into a 3-day weekend, which means that I have no access to the 2 books I was reading. :clap:

So I picked up a copy of Ian Smiley's "Making Pure Corn Whiskey," which I'm reading on my phone. Very good book, I've seen it mentioned around the forums quite a bit.

ISBN-10: 0968629210
ISBN-13: 978-0968629215
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

raketemensch wrote:Being a moron, I left my iPad at work on Thursday going into a 3-day weekend, which means that I have no access to the 2 books I was reading. :clap:

So I picked up a copy of Ian Smiley's "Making Pure Corn Whiskey," which I'm reading on my phone. Very good book, I've seen it mentioned around the forums quite a bit.

ISBN-10: 0968629210
ISBN-13: 978-0968629215
Yeahm giving Ian full credit (or blame?) for my interest in the hobby, it's a great book for anyone curious about the process, and honestly, I'm still using several of its charts and guidelines...it not a good book, it is a Great book.
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

I have been reading Hubert Germain-Robin's book about making brandy. There is not much in it that I don't already know, and it is only 50 pages, but if you want to know from a master, it is the most straightforward book you can get.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

MDH wrote:I have been reading Hubert Germain-Robin's book about making brandy. There is not much in it that I don't already know, and it is only 50 pages, but if you want to know from a master, it is the most straightforward book you can get.
ISBN number please, MDH, it helps folks find it if they go looking...like me...I'd like to go looking...
spisska
Novice

Post by spisska »

I've only just started reading it and can't give a full review yet, but so far I'm really enjoying Proof: the Science of Booze, by Adam Rogers. (2014, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, IBSN: 978-0-547-89796-7).

The author is a writer and editor for Wired, so the wring is crisp, entertaining, highly enlightening, and joyfully geeky, without getting bogged down with too much technical detail or jargon.

The chapters include: Yeast, Sugar, Fermentation, Distillation, Aging, Smell and Taste, Body and Brain, and Hangover.

It's not really a textbook, nor an instruction manual, nor an academic work at all (though it does include a substantial bibliography), but more a highly entertaining read about the above topics from the perspective of history, biology, chemistry, anthropology, and physics in attempt to figure out just what the hell is going on in a bottle of whiskey, and how it came to be that way.

I've got a long flight this weekend, so I'm looking forward to getting through most, if not all of this book by the end of it.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

spisska wrote:I've only just started reading it and can't give a full review yet, but so far I'm really enjoying Proof: the Science of Booze, by Adam Rogers. (2014, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, IBSN: 978-0-547-89796-7).

The author is a writer and editor for Wired, so the wring is crisp, entertaining, highly enlightening, and joyfully geeky, without getting bogged down with too much technical detail or jargon.

The chapters include: Yeast, Sugar, Fermentation, Distillation, Aging, Smell and Taste, Body and Brain, and Hangover.

It's not really a textbook, nor an instruction manual, nor an academic work at all (though it does include a substantial bibliography), but more a highly entertaining read about the above topics from the perspective of history, biology, chemistry, anthropology, and physics in attempt to figure out just what the hell is going on in a bottle of whiskey, and how it came to be that way.

I've got a long flight this weekend, so I'm looking forward to getting through most, if not all of this book by the end of it.
I have this book too. It's great read. Excellent background, and great review of the world of whiskey now days!