Uncle Lum's Whiskey

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

HDNB
Site Mod

Re: Uncle Lum's Whiskey

Post by HDNB »

lots of crafties are pre-selling barrels (like 10 or 15 gallon), creating auto-ship customers (bottle a month club)

have parties , allow people to select there own blend... sell the contents today, for aging in your (rented) barrel, renting your sq.ft to store the aging product.
think restaurant/bar/lounge and rich business owners who want their own named barrel to pull their own whiskey from.

use the proceeds to biggy size the equipment to get production where you need it.

collect email addy's from everybody and stay in touch with what is happening (with products they can buy)...
you know...limited edition, never- to- be- made- again magical elixir that will grow hair back and get the chicks to jump in the car. :thumbup:

don't forget the "special event" tastings (every saturday...that's what makes them "special") sole purpose...to sell and sell hard, especially the barrel futures.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

I'm hearing some pretty good ideas here ,Boom . Hate to see you fold if there is an alternative .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Google Heritage Distillery in Washington State they are doing something similar to what HDNB suggests and are quite successful at it.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

Bushman wrote:Google Heritage Distillery in Washington State they are doing something similar to what HDNB suggests and are quite successful at it.
i first saw the forward sales idea from a place in the UK. (since lost the link)

here is a guy doing a start up in Ontario

http://www.orangeville.com/community-st ... und-floor/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Forward sales sounds like an interesting idea!

B
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

BoomTown wrote:
I don't know how to do that, but would listen to any suggestion. Can you PM me to arrange a call, or send me a link to info about how that would be done?

B
Honestly I don't know much about Kickstarter either, but I've heard of some astounding amounts of cash being gathered in a short time to launch, relaunch, and save all manner of projects through crowdfunding. Maybe someone that's familiar with what it would take and what kind of offerings you could make would be willing to help get a campaign up and running. Maybe start a new thread here "Save Uncle Lum's".
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

https://youtu.be/EskUKqWdsTE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Thanks guys! Your appreciation is very humbling.
Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

No worries Boom.

So far we have seen very few failures coming out of the new "craft scene". Most of the small craft guys are getting a very good reception from their respective markets. Though they don't really get significant traction for about 3 years or so it seems. You jumped into the game at a good time and you absolutely have a leg up on so many of the new guys trying to get a slice of the pie.

My observation so far is that most small outfits that don't make it, are outfits that never even got rolled out because of (for example) a partnership flaw where by the two principal partners just couldn't see eye to eye on some element of their forthcoming model. Now that's not to say that as time passes and more and more people try and get into the game because they think there is money to be made. And so their motives come from a different place and as a result the appeal of their finish product may end up being not so good,,,,or what ever. Then they close the doors because they had no sales due to the very fact that their finish product just wasn't that good.
Of course we now also see many examples on the shelf that are doing very well and yet the finished product is just not that good. Be it marketing, luck, or stupidity on the customer's part?

Uncle Lum's isn't any of the above. In my view, Uncle Lum's is exactly what the craft movement is all about. It's damned good. It may not be the best out there or appeal to every whiskey connoisseur,, but it will only get even better.
I hope you guys can weather the storm and continue to get the traction that this whiskey deserves. And I hope this video helps contribute to that end.

Anyway, as time passes and craft grows there will also be some thinning of the heard. Uncle Lum's is absolutely good enough to make the cut.

Best wishes.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

LWTCS wrote:No worries Boom.

So far we have seen very few failures coming out of the new "craft scene". Most of the small craft guys are getting a very good reception from their respective markets. Though they don't really get significant traction for about 3 years or so it seems. You jumped into the game at a good time and you absolutely have a leg up on so many of the new guys trying to get a slice of the pie.

My observation so far is that most small outfits that don't make it, are outfits that never even got rolled out because of (for example) a partnership flaw where by the two principal partners just couldn't see eye to eye on some element of their forthcoming model. Now that's not to say that as time passes and more and more people try and get into the game because they think there is money to be made. And so their motives come from a different place and as a result the appeal of their finish product may end up being not so good,,,,or what ever. Then they close the doors because they had no sales due to the very fact that their finish product just wasn't that good.
Of course we now also see many examples on the shelf that are doing very well and yet the finished product is just not that good. Be it marketing, luck, or stupidity on the customer's part?

Uncle Lum's isn't any of the above. In my view, Uncle Lum's is exactly what the craft movement is all about. It's damned good. It may not be the best out there or appeal to every whiskey connoisseur,, but it will only get even better.
I hope you guys can weather the storm and continue to get the traction that this whiskey deserves. And I hope this video helps contribute to that end.

Anyway, as time passes and craft grows there will also be some thinning of the heard. Uncle Lum's is absolutely good enough to make the cut.

Best wishes.
Thanks again. I understand and agree with everything you've been so generous in saying. Our problem at Griffin Whiskey isn't poor product, or poor acceptance at the local market. It is simply that early on, an 'financial expert' advised us to launch with a "Pilot Still", and now our productivity is so chocked by limited distilling capacity that we are in a 'treading water' phase that simply will not generate enough capital to allow for expanding our production capacity. We simply cannot be profitable under current infrastructure limitations, and unless we get a capital infusion to allow for expanding our infrastructure, we are like mice on a treadmill. While we love every thing about the business, the objective of creating a business that will allow our family to thrive in this business is simply out of reach under our current operation profile. We face a threshold in December of recommitting, or closing. Unless the numbers change, there is little financial justification for continuing.

That said, if and/or when we can expand our capital format, and infrastructure, we would re-evaluate that decision. Meantime, plan E (for exit) is being initiated, but the point of no-return will not be reached until September 30, (end of Q3 for us).

Thanks again.

Boom
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Shit......

Finance companies are available to upgrade equipment. They seem to not place many limitations at all on qualifying because the value of the loan is in the actual equipment,,,,and the equipment is simply repossessed and sold at auction. So they view the equipment loan as less risky.

But then you also have to have enough power to drive the rig too.
How much cash infusion Boom?
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

LWTCS wrote:Shit......

Finance companies are available to upgrade equipment. They seem to not place many limitations at all on qualifying because the value of the loan is in the actual equipment,,,,and the equipment is simply repossessed and sold at auction. So they view the equipment loan as less risky.

But then you also have to have enough power to drive the rig too.
How much cash infusion Boom?
How much cash? There in lies the rub. So far, we've run a debt free operation, because we want no blow back on our families related to the risk, which is the basis of this decision. The easy answer is, who's cash, and what are the strings attached? We are a C Corp, so we have options. But, those are business questions I'm not comfortable with discussing in a world wide forum, would welcome any one-on-one discussion with someone interested. PM me if you fit that mold.

B.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

OK guys, it starts. Just for a general news item, we've got 4 used 10 gallon Gibbs barrels for sale. They once held Uncle Lum's Whiskey, and are now empty. We'll be posting more of our equipment in the 'Classified Ads' section.

If you are interested, PM me a bid, and expect to pay freight at FedEx rates from our 16823 ZipCode to yours.

Hope to have these sold by mid month, if we can.

Regards.

Boom
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

:( :(
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

Breaks my heart to see any Craft disappear, especially family run with good product. :(
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
Snackson
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Snackson »

Ordered my bottles from Boom today. I hope someone steps up to the plate to keep them running.
The Baker
Master of Distillation

Post by The Baker »

Hi,
I have read all the messages and if only I had heaps of money....

I suppose you have had some meaningful talks with the reputable suppliers of equipment known to those who meet on these forums?

If the enterprise is viable apart from the need to acquire equipment to increase your capacity.....

Anyway all the best in the future. It is saddening to hear of a business whose product is so enthusiastically endorsed by so many knowledgeable people being unable to continue, just because of not having enough money at a critical time.

What more can I say?

Geoff
The Baker
MoonBreath
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by MoonBreath »

You know, its a sad deal ...Evidently more than a larger still can fix.
Also, I would like to have a copy of book on your Craft journey.
Would love to pick your brain on startup and do-overs..There isn't any universal business plans available online or elsewhere, or many folks willing to assist as they are so individual and unique specific that writing one is probably going to require some help imo ..Hoping everything works out into lemon pie in the end.
*Spend it all, Use it up, Wear it out*
Beware of sheet-sniffers and dime-droppers!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Hey, BoomTown, just a thought... If Tim Smith was able to find a way to ramp up production via fellow craft distillers, why couldn't you...??? Ferment your grain bills on-site and have someone else distill for you or rent you still time... Profits from a couple big runs might get you to where you need to be... Just tossing out a potential option...
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

MoonBreath wrote:You know, its a sad deal ...Evidently more than a larger still can fix.
Also, I would like to have a copy of book on your Craft journey.
Would love to pick your brain on startup and do-overs..There isn't any universal business plans available online or elsewhere, or many folks willing to assist as they are so individual and unique specific that writing one is probably going to require some help imo ..Hoping everything works out into lemon pie in the end.
The book is coming out after the dust settles. Will be a conical of the dream, the journey, the reality...thanks for the support
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Snackson wrote:Ordered my bottles from Boom today. I hope someone steps up to the plate to keep them running.
FedEx should be showing up Monday or Tuesday...thanks for the order.

Boom
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

rad14701 wrote:Hey, BoomTown, just a thought... If Tim Smith was able to find a way to ramp up production via fellow craft distillers, why couldn't you...??? Ferment your grain bills on-site and have someone else distill for you or rent you still time... Profits from a couple big runs might get you to where you need to be... Just tossing out a potential option...
Production is one of the three legs on this stool that isn't quite right...but I'm planning on keeping the DSP permit, and approaching the problems just like this...thanks for the thought
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Just a thought from an old poet (Omar Khayyam), and maker of fine spirit himself,

Then to the Lip of this poor earthen Urn
I leaned the secret Well of Life to learn:
And Lip to Lip it murmured --"While you live,
"Drink! -- for, once dead, you never shall return."

Which loosely interpreted means, Bottom's up boys and girls, life is what it is...
here's to you!
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

BoomTown wrote:Bottom's up boys and girls, life is what it is...here's to you!
+1
Cheers, Boom! :thumbup:
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

So sad to hear. Boom, I live in your zip code. Although the help you need doesn't fit my budget. If you need anything give me a shout and ill drop by.