hyssop?

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

rubber duck
retired

hyssop?

Post by rubber duck »

Does anyone hear have a source for high quality hyssop? I'm not looking for unverified Internet links, all of the hyssop I've seen or bought online is garbage.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Re: hyssop?

Post by dieselduo »

Mountain Rose has it. I buy a lot of herbs from them. They also have seeds if you want to grow it.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Not sure why you need it but have you tried any essential oil forums to see if anyone extracts it or have you thought about growing and making your own essential oil.
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I have grown it but for some reason it dies every winter.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

I've been trying to grow it with very little success. I buy top quality hyssop from here. http://www.absintheherbs.com/Hyssop-Hys ... Hyssop.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
It's not the cheapest, but you get what you pay for. It is the whole herb, not cut and sifted.
Last edited by skow69 on Fri May 13, 2016 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
bbok
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bbok »

Any ideas why it isn't surviving? I have some seeds that I started this spring and was hoping to keep them around :(
Accumulating pieces
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

bbok wrote:Any ideas why it isn't surviving? I have some seeds that I started this spring and was hoping to keep them around :(
I'm pretty sure it's because I'm a dumb ass. Somehow I'm killing that but I've more Roman wormwood then I know what to do with, who would have though.
skow69
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by skow69 »

Har! That pontica will take over the neighborhood if you don't keep it corraled.
Distilling at 110f and 75 torr.
I'm not an absinthe snob, I'm The Absinthe Nazi. "NO ABSINTHE FOR YOU!"
sweeps
Swill Maker

Post by sweeps »

Hyssop can be weird. I've had it survive the most brutal conditions, but I've also had it suddenly die for no apparent reason. It did the latter this past winter, so I'm having to start a fresh batch from seed.

Roman wormwood, on the other hand, seems pretty much indestructible once you get it started.