Uncle Lum's Whiskey

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

LWTCS
Site Mod

Uncle Lum's Whiskey

Post by LWTCS »

*Good looking, readily available glass
* Attractive closure.
* uncomplicated, no non sense label that explains a bit about the back story. Signed by the distiller.
*Very smooth, on par with any dependable whiskey treat. Delightfully mellow on the front with a low and comforting heat on the finish.
* Vanilla forward on the nose.
* Spectacular color.
* Looking forward to an Uncle Lum's Manhattan.

My only criticism is that a 750 ml bottle is not big enough. This (Uncle Lum's) is exactly why the craft, small batch guys are going to continue to gain traction.
Any whiskey lover would be over the moon to have this incorporated into their collection.
Last edited by LWTCS on Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: Uncle Lum's Whiskey

Post by Truckinbutch »

He is definitely doing us all proud .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

Truckinbutch wrote:He is definitely doing us all proud .
I'll second that.
welcome aboard some of us are ornery old coots but if you do a lot of
reading and don't ask stupid questions you'll be alright most are
big help
Dunder
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Got the bumper sticker on two cars!!
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Wow! Great praise from people I truely respect. Thanks for the support guys!

Boom
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Darn I wish I could get this up in Canada.. just such a PITA... :( If I havew any friends going to the states.. going to ask them to bring me back a bottle!

B
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

bitter wrote:Darn I wish I could get this up in Canada.. just such a PITA... :( If I havew any friends going to the states.. going to ask them to bring me back a bottle!

B
Yeah, I wish we could make this happen for you...but our FedEx contract simply will not allow it.

Boom.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Canadian Border Service will not let it happen either.. unless I drive down for 48+ hours and bring back no more than a 26er/750ml

B
rubber duck
retired

Post by rubber duck »

I've got 3 bottles and his white dog sets the bar. If your ever looking to compare your white dog to a really good one pick up a bottle, it's the best Comercial white dog I've had.
Ideas are like rabbits. You get a couple and learn how to handle them, and pretty soon you have a dozen. John Steinbeck
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor
Location: drive to the sticks, hang a right past the sticks amd go a couple more miles.

Post by jedneck »

I've had uncle lum at cask strength with just a splash of water :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Gotta get off my ass and get a bottle of Misty morning.
big help
Dunder
jedneck
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by jedneck »

bitter wrote:Darn I wish I could get this up in Canada.. just such a PITA... :( If I havew any friends going to the states.. going to ask them to bring me back a bottle!

B
If you ever wanna tour I'm an hour away if you need somewhere to crash
big help
Dunder
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Hey, a special thank you to our friend, Michigan CornHusker. MCH dropped by our shop yesterday afternoon. We had a drink of a few of our things, and he left with 2 jugs tucked under his arm. Drove an extra long way just to visit and check us out.

As of today, we've got people from Washington State to Florida and from Massachusetts to Sand Diago drinking our Misty Morning and Uncle Lum's Straight Whiskey.

Great visit!
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Keep debating if its worth the 7.5 hour drive for visit....

B
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Bitter.. how could you make the drive in 7.5 hours?
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

lol Apparently thats what google maps said it would take..

SC was 18 hours for me.

B
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Lol thought so... it's 6.5 h from me lol
HDNB wrote: The trick here is to learn what leads to a stalled mash....and quit doing that.
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

I can be there in 20 minutes. Hehe. :P
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

BoomTown wrote:MCH dropped by our shop yesterday afternoon.
It was nice to catch up, Boom, and thanks for the tour. It's always nice to talk shop with a glass of good whiskey in hand!
I'm looking forward to having some time this weekend to get into these bottles and kick back.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

BoomTown I will be in PA this August, not sure yet how many days as I have a wedding in Delaware and my wife want to go to NY and try and research some of her ancestry. I will send you a PM regarding your location or at least where I can buy some of your whiskey.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Bushman wrote:BoomTown I will be in PA this August, not sure yet how many days as I have a wedding in Delaware and my wife want to go to NY and try and research some of her ancestry. I will send you a PM regarding your location or at least where I can buy some of your whiskey.
Looking forward to a chance to visit. Let me know.

Boom
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:
BoomTown wrote:MCH dropped by our shop yesterday afternoon.
It was nice to catch up, Boom, and thanks for the tour. It's always nice to talk shop with a glass of good whiskey in hand!
I'm looking forward to having some time this weekend to get into these bottles and kick back.
:thumbup: :D
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Hey guys, not sure if I'm going to be bragging about our booze, or bragging about my son, but here goes. Several days ago.....
Clancy and I had a pissing match. We're tight on par inventory.... more demand than product...and there is This barrel.

Say's I. "No. If we sell it we can't drink it! This is a "distillers choice", and I am the distiller!". Say's Clancy, "We make this stuff to sell!"

Says I, "Maybe so, but this barrel is what I think we ought to keep back, just fore us."

Clancy, "We make this stuff to sell, remember Uncle Lum's words, 'Dicky this aint for drinking, it's for selling."

Me. "Well, IF we sell this barrel, we will get 3 times what we sell our other brown whiskey for, or we won't sell it." Feeling very comfortable, whose gonna pay $120 for a bottle of our stuff anyway.

Clancy went down the road to the Knickerbaucker Inn. Selling our regular line, Misty Morning and Uncle Lums. Then he says to the owner, "Dad says, this stuff is very special, 'Distiller's choice', and tips a tiny bit into a Glenn Carine glass. Owner says, "I want a bottle." Clancy, "These bottles will be selling for $120 per".

Owner, "I want one now, and I want to reserver the right to buy more."

Clancy, "One in two weeks, and we'll discuss more then?"

Owner, "OK."

Me.

Is it possible my kid has become of age?
yakattack
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by yakattack »

Congrats boom. You dun well
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

yakattack wrote:Congrats boom. You dun well
Thanks.
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Gotta get more in the barrel sir............
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

LWTCS wrote:Gotta get more in the barrel sir............
Yep, we made a 53, and a 10 this week. The 53 will be bourbon, the ten will be Christmas.

Next up, 72 bottles of Misty Morning....Oh yeah, we took your advice and added a thumper to the end of our spirit runs for Misty Morning. That now makes it technically 3 times distilled, and it has lost more of the harshness that we are working to remove. Need to make an adjustment to the label now to reflect that Triple distilled feature in our marketing...

We've set aside 1 case of Misty morning to our library, made before that modification. We'll which tastes better after we have several bottles of each that have set around a few months.
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

boom, have you had any issues with appellation rules on the word "whiskey" on your labels?

it seems that "whiskey" isn't whiskey until it's made 3 trips around the sun...according to lawmakers.

i get the appellation rules on Tennesee whiskey, boubon whiskey, Canadian rye whisky, Scotch whisky etc. etc.
but my question is: if you can't call whiskey "whiskey" until it's 3 years old, what do you call it? and where do you find non-whiskey whiskey in a likker store?

beg pardon if you are aged 3 years, and no disrespect if you aren't. (it's my opinion it's whiskey. maybe short-aged whiskey or young whiskey or white whiskey...but whiskey is still whiskey.
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

HDNB wrote:boom, have you had any issues with appellation rules on the word "whiskey" on your labels?

it seems that "whiskey" isn't whiskey until it's made 3 trips around the sun...according to lawmakers.

i get the appellation rules on Tennesee whiskey, boubon whiskey, Canadian rye whisky, Scotch whisky etc. etc.
but my question is: if you can't call whiskey "whiskey" until it's 3 years old, what do you call it? and where do you find non-whiskey whiskey in a likker store?

beg pardon if you are aged 3 years, and no disrespect if you aren't. (it's my opinion it's whiskey. maybe short-aged whiskey or young whiskey or white whiskey...but whiskey is still whiskey.
Your reflection doesn't aline with how I read the Federal Classes as set up by TTB. A whiskey actually is a recipe. Must be submitted to TTB and approved. A Straight whiskey is aged 1 year old or older, a Bourbon 3 years old or older - aged in new white oak barrels. All whiskey must be aged in oak, but for how long has to be declared on the label...we call ours whiskey, not straight whiskey nor bourbon, but anticipate the deployment of those labels once the prerequisites are met. Our white whiskey spends about a day in oak barrels before being passed through filters and bottled. Our brown is selected after aging in small (10 gallon) barrels based on taste, smell and color. That accounts for about half of our production. The rest is aging in New White Oak (#3 char) Standard size whiskey barrels.

The 'accelerated aging' process seems to offer a way of excepting the labelling, for example Cleveland Bourbon Whiskey, Black Reserve uses the word Bourbon, but on it's back label reveals that it is "...aged in New American White Oak Barrels for Six Months." THAT claim confuses me as I don't see how the use of the term Bourbon on this spirit conforms to the Class specified by TTB. It's possible that Cleveland is buying bulk bourbon whiskey from somewhere and subjecting it to a rapid aging process to be able to claim the title bourbon, but the idea that they'd buy a bourbon and then subject it to an aging process makes no sense to me.

At best, the practice of labeling is murky, at worst it may even be being abused by many commercial vendors. All I can say about our labeling practice is, we are trying to conform with the guidelines expressed in the TTB Class publication.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Boom,is uncle lums available in TX?
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

jb-texshine wrote:Boom,is uncle lums available in TX?
We ship from our distillery to TX via FedEx. Arrangement can be made by calling 703 593 9056

Product available is our 750ml Misty Morning, and 750m Uncle Lum's Whiskey.

Boom