Uncle Lum's Whiskey

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Re: Uncle Lum's Whiskey

Post by jb-texshine »

Thanks. I will get on it.

Sent from my KYOCERA-C6745 using Tapatalk
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
HDNB
Site Mod

Post by HDNB »

I agree, the Canadian rules read the same to me... whiskey is whiskey from a whiskey recipe, there is no magical transformation on the 1096th day....the magic that happens that day allows you to add a qualifier word like Bourbon or Canadian in front of whisky

I have been hearing this in a lot of places lately on the craft end, yet the big distillers are cranking out white whisky, no age statement and even the scotch hitting the shelves here come with no age statement.

yesterday, a fellow member posted a link to his craft distillery's website, which mentioned the 3 year whisky rule.
That brought it to mind that the craft industry is where i hear this rumour -but the news from magazines reads "the 10 best no-age-statment scotches in the world"
I finally quit drinking for good.

now i drink for evil.
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

Same with Irish Whiskey, have to be stored 3years and a day ( to allow for leap year :crazy:)
Don't be a dick
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Truckinbutch wrote:He is definitely doing us all proud .
Awww., you guys! Thanks a lot for the moral support. Wish I could buy you all a drink!
“…Let’s do this one more time....”
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Well folks, we had a Board of Director's meeting last night, and the results are heartbreaking.

Uncle Lum's Whiskey is going away. We have been bootstrapping for 3 years, and our capital is nearly spent. Over the years we encountered several lengthy, and expensive delays and derailments, and we've simply have not got enough resources left to reach the tip-over-to-profit point, given the numbers coming in. Sans a major infusion of cash from a new investor, we are out of money, and we can't match the revenue coming in to the expense side of the ledger yet.

So it looks like we'll be closing the doors come the end of September.

On the high side, we've made some mighty fine booze, and had a lot of fun, made some great friends, learned a lot, but now it is time to get out. We'll be selling our gear, most of which would fit nicely into a home distiller's garage and gear line, and our oak and SS barrels, new and used during September. PM me if you think you might be interested in buy something from us before September 15. We'll be listing the gear with an auction house, and scheduling the sale for September 15 or later.

Thanks again to all of you've who've been supportive and given freely of advice and bought our products. We couldn't have done what we did do with out you.

What's next? Guess I'll have time to finish writing my book now. I'll detail the story in my book, hoping to help those of you that are considering going legal to avoid some of the pitfalls that derailed us.

Boom
Swedish Pride
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Swedish Pride »

great shame that Boom, so sorry to hear that.
Any bottles left that we can get, going to get rare now, time to hike up the price :)
Don't be a dick
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Swedish Pride wrote:great shame that Boom, so sorry to hear that.
Any bottles left that we can get, going to get rare now, time to hike up the price :)
Thanks Sweed,

Sure, we have inventory for sale, but we'll make our last still runs next week, to finish up the mash in the pipeline. Will bottle what's ready between now and then, and we'll be selling full barrels.
Anyone in the USA wanting a bottle need only PM me, and we'll get it out to you FedEx. We never cracked that nut that lets us export yet, and that's still not possible.
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by rgreen2002 »

BT... this is devastating news. I was so looking forward to stopping by next time I passed through the area headed to Erie,Pa from NJ. This is awful..... I'm so sorry to hear of the news. It looks like I will have to plan a trip sooner than later to get me a few bottles before they're gone!
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
MichiganCornhusker
retired

Post by MichiganCornhusker »

Damn sorry to hear that, Boom. A perfect example that it's sure not about the product, it's about the business end of it.
Any business it tough to get through the first few years, I think spirits even more so.

I'm happy I was able to stop by for the tour, and glad for you that you got to ride the adventure at least for a while even if it doesn't pan out.
Congrats on making the leap of faith and taking a stab at it.
Shouting and shooting, I can't let them catch me...
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

[quote="rgreen2002"]BT... this is devastating news. I was so looking forward to stopping by next time I passed through the area headed to Erie,Pa from NJ. This is awful..... I'm so sorry to hear of the news. It looks like I will have to plan a trip sooner than later to get me a few bottles before they're gone![/quote.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
still_stirrin
Master of Distillation
Location: where the buffalo roam, and the deer & antelope play

Post by still_stirrin »

Boom,

You've managed to do what many here have dreamed of. But there is no "get rich" secret, only lessons to learn from, or not.

Ten years ago, my son wanted to make a living in music...playing guitar. He was in a band with a couple of his junior high and high school buddies. They practiced together for hours every day, even record their own cd. They hung out together and so it was "the dream". After high school, they pooled their resources and bought a used van and hit the road.

They travelled around the states playing gigs at one-night-stands for little or next to nothing, opening up for the more popular, well known bands. Sometimes they could bunk in a motel, bath/shower optional. More often than not, they slept in the van, choosing to save what little they made for gas for the van and maybe a hamburger. The glamour of the tour was lost in the struggle.

But the lessons they learned were priceless. They became close friends, through thick and thin. They knew of the struggles they shared (memories). They each gained skills...to make music. These "skills" will be with them forever.

End of story??? No.

After the tour, they played some local gigs off and on. But as time went on, they each moved on to other endeavors. One took over the management of his father's business. My son started working at a manufacturing company, managing the shipping department. Success in accomplishment with rewards of financial compensation. Where's the band now?

Well, my son started leading a worship team at church. After the band's touring days, he married his longtime girlfriend and they both had the music ministry in their calling. Now, they are very strong leaders at church, inspiring others into the ministry as well. And those skills are priceless.

The "tour days" are done. But the music plays on.

Boom, you've "done your tour". But you've got skills, skills that will be with you forever. As long as you're breathing, there is an opportunity awaiting....an opportunity to "redesign", to "redefine", and to "refine" your potential. The lessons you've learned can and will help others with your experiences. The "Boomtown Battleground" is a great story...pen it. It can be the start of your next story.
ss
My LM/VM & Potstill: My build thread
My Cadco hotplate modification thread: Hotplate Build
My stock pot gin still: stock pot potstill
My 5-grain Bourbon recipe: Special K
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

still_stirrin wrote:Boom,

You've managed to do what many here have dreamed of. But there is no "get rich" secret, only lessons to learn from, or not.

Ten years ago, my son wanted to make a living in music...playing guitar. He was in a band with a couple of his junior high and high school buddies. They practiced together for hours every day, even record their own cd. They hung out together and so it was "the dream". After high school, they pooled their resources and bought a used van and hit the road.

They travelled around the states playing gigs at one-night-stands for little or next to nothing, opening up for the more popular, well known bands. Sometimes they could bunk in a motel, bath/shower optional. More often than not, they slept in the van, choosing to save what little they made for gas for the van and maybe a hamburger. The glamour of the tour was lost in the struggle.

But the lessons they learned were priceless. They became close friends, through thick and thin. They knew of the struggles they shared (memories). They each gained skills...to make music. These "skills" will be with them forever.

End of story??? No.

After the tour, they played some local gigs off and on. But as time went on, they each moved on to other endeavors. One took over the management of his father's business. My son started working at a manufacturing company, managing the shipping department. Success in accomplishment with rewards of financial compensation. Where's the band now?

Well, my son started leading a worship team at church. After the band's touring days, he married his longtime girlfriend and they both had the music ministry in their calling. Now, they are very strong leaders at church, inspiring others into the ministry as well. And those skills are priceless.

The "tour days" are done. But the music plays on.

Boom, you've "done your tour". But you've got skills, skills that will be with you forever. As long as you're breathing, there is an opportunity awaiting....an opportunity to "redesign", to "redefine", and to "refine" your potential. The lessons you've learned can and will help others with your experiences. The "Boomtown Battleground" is a great story...pen it. It can be the start of your next story.
ss
Great story, and thank you for sharing, and for the encouragement.
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

Boom , sorry that you folks hit a snag . SOH and I are going to check finances and see what inventory we might invest in for posterity . For now , I'll leave you wilt the words that I have lived my life by ;
"The winner is that dumb son of a bitch that gets back up one more time than he's been knocked down ."
TB
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Truckinbutch wrote:Boom , sorry that you folks hit a snag . SOH and I are going to check finances and see what inventory we might invest in for posterity . For now , I'll leave you wilt the words that I have lived my life by ;
"The winner is that dumb son of a bitch that gets back up one more time than he's been knocked down ."
TB
Thanks TB. Were struggling with the problems, but not the dream. My kids and I have had 3 great years of striving together, and enjoy drinking our great drop and the many new friends we've made.

While the business numbers aren't there, we know why. We know that were we able to move to the next thresholds in our business plan concerning equipment capacity, and process...we'd still be able to sell as much stuff as we can make. Our business problem is, we launched with what we call our "Pilot still" to demonstrate our ability to produce a superior drink. The Pilot is a small still with limited production capacity. Time delays caused by shifting government priorities (beyond our control), and an unscrupulous landlord's mishaps caused our (in the wings) investor to loose faith in our project and back out. Regardless, the project has plodded along, and now reached the time now deploy a full scale equipment line, and balloon the production numbers to feed the demand we've been building...and we simply can't do by ourselves. We committed our reserves to pick up slack caused by the earlier mishaps. Now, we can either tread water here, or back out. As an old business man (My first business was in 1959 - selling fireworks beside a hi-way - this is my 4th startup), it's on me. If we can't see a pathway to profit in these circumstances, we need to fall back and regroup.

But we have had a great time working together, and no regrets for having given it a go. I would do it again in a heart beat, but would change a couple of front end decision points relating to locking in capital and distributing risk. We've learned a lot, about the business end and making better whiskey.

Thanks for the support.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Boom really sorry to hear :( These are tough decisions. Maybe you coudl sell the business and recoupe some of your investment :(

I'm sure many HDers here would buy used barrels (I know I would love some!) from you so maybe can get some cash back there.... I wish the Canadian import laws were not so stupid... Would love to have some your fine product!

B
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

Very unfortunate set of circumstances, BoomTown... I hope an investor steps up and helps you continue to the point of profitability...

On a side note, this topic serves as a reality check for any overly zealous novices who register here with sky high dreams of opening a craft distillery without a proper business plan and ample startup capital... It's not a cheap venture and requires a lot of expense before any profit is realized... If it was easy, many here would be running craft distilleries... BoomTown is not the only member here who has ended up at this junction in the road while pursuing the dream...
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Really sorry to hear Boom, I know you did everything right as we were both looking into distilleries at about the same time. For me it was investing in my sons future as he was graduating college in Hospitality and Hotel management. We did the business plan and actually looked at purchasing the building as we had several in mind. I was planning on helping him for the first couple years with the idea that then I could step back. After he got a great management job at a top Restaurant & Bar we decided that he should probably take it and get more experience and contacts under his belt. At that time I almost took you up on investing when you were looking for investors but not having met you and you being on the opposite side of the US I just didn't. Good Luck on your book and your next phase in life!
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Bushman wrote:Really sorry to hear Boom, I know you did everything right as we were both looking into distilleries at about the same time. For me it was investing in my sons future as he was graduating college in Hospitality and Hotel management. We did the business plan and actually looked at purchasing the building as we had several in mind. I was planning on helping him for the first couple years with the idea that then I could step back. After he got a great management job at a top Restaurant & Bar we decided that he should probably take it and get more experience and contacts under his belt. At that time I almost took you up on investing when you were looking for investors but not having met you and you being on the opposite side of the US I just didn't. Good Luck on your book and your next phase in life!
Thanks Bushman,
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

rad14701 wrote:Very unfortunate set of circumstances, BoomTown... I hope an investor steps up and helps you continue to the point of profitability...

On a side note, this topic serves as a reality check for any overly zealous novices who register here with sky high dreams of opening a craft distillery without a proper business plan and ample startup capital... It's not a cheap venture and requires a lot of expense before any profit is realized... If it was easy, many here would be running craft distilleries... BoomTown is not the only member here who has ended up at this junction in the road while pursuing the dream...
I'm assuming this posting was intended to impart some message beyond a public thrashing of a rash member? To be candid, I do not consider myself to be an "overly zealous novice". But I do agree the consideration of capital is crucial to success.
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

BoomTown wrote:We never cracked that nut that lets us export yet, and that's still not possible.
:(
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!
rad14701
retired

Post by rad14701 »

BoomTown wrote:
rad14701 wrote:Very unfortunate set of circumstances, BoomTown... I hope an investor steps up and helps you continue to the point of profitability...

I'm assuming this posting was intended to impart some message beyond a public thrashing of a rash member? To be candid, I do not consider myself to be an "overly zealous novice". But I do agree the consideration of capital is crucial to success.
:P No, that was for those overly zealous novices that join almost daily with the sudden itch to give it a go... I know you did ample planning before embarking on your venture... I had a lengthy discussion with the SOH last night while enroute to a Celtic festival about why such a venture is so demanding of large amounts of capital... Her brother is trying to start a craft winery and I have my doubts that he realizes how much capital even that small startup will require...
Bigbob
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Bigbob »

Real sorry to hear this boom. Your Uncle Lum bumper stickers will still stand proud on mine and my sons cars. Good luck with your writing.
If you wear underwear then it's a dress!
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=62150 How I run a small still
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

MichiganCornhusker wrote:Damn sorry to hear that, Boom. A perfect example that it's sure not about the product, it's about the business end of it.
Any business it tough to get through the first few years, I think spirits even more so.

I'm happy I was able to stop by for the tour, and glad for you that you got to ride the adventure at least for a while even if it doesn't pan out.
Congrats on making the leap of faith and taking a stab at it.
The real trap is time. The need to match production to demand is hobbled but inconsistent government oversight and municipal disco ordination. There is the built in lag between authorizations while mandated expenses accumulate. The only way to understand that part of the burden is to take the journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Darn this really sucks. I guess thats why most the local places up here start with vodka and Gin in the mix to help fund the 3 years till they can sell whisky.

Its really sad that you have to put so much $$$$$ into things to keep going. I hope things change with the craft movement and make it easier for the little guys to get up and running and become profitable.

I really hope a backer comes out of the woodwork to help you stay open and see things to prof ability!

Have you thought about selling shares in the company? If every HD person purchased a few maybe would add upto the investment needed to keep you going then we could all live via your success? Or maybe think of a kickstarter project for your setup.. like a wiskey aging kit or something.. were you get people to invest now to help fund things. Or the kickstarter could be a simple as an investment in a new product line and a bottle as the reward?

Tying to think of something that will help you keep at things. But I totally understand at a certain point you do need to let things go also.

B
masonsjax
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by masonsjax »

Have you thought about a Kickstarter campaign to get some new equipment and move to the next level? You have certainly developed a good product and sufficient demand. Throw a big party to launch the campaign and let social media see if it can get you there. I'd hate to see a project with so much potential vanish without making every effort to survive.

[Posting same time as bitter]
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

bitter wrote:Darn this really sucks. I guess thats why most the local places up here start with vodka and Gin in the mix to help fund the 3 years till they can sell whisky.

Its really sad that you have to put so much $$$$$ into things to keep going. I hope things change with the craft movement and make it easier for the little guys to get up and running and become profitable.

I really hope a backer comes out of the woodwork to help you stay open and see things to prof ability!

Have you thought about selling shares in the company? If every HD person purchased a few maybe would add upto the investment needed to keep you going then we could all live via your success? Or maybe think of a kickstarter project for your setup.. like a wiskey aging kit or something.. were you get people to invest now to help fund things. Or the kickstarter could be a simple as an investment in a new product line and a bottle as the reward?

Tying to think of something that will help you keep at things. But I totally understand at a certain point you do need to let things go also.

B
Yes Bitter, we are a C corp, and we do, and will and would sell shares in the company to keep it afloat. Anyone interested should PM me for details.
Thanks for opening that window of opportunity.
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

masonsjax wrote:Have you thought about a Kickstarter campaign to get some new equipment and move to the next level? You have certainly developed a good product and sufficient demand. Throw a big party to launch the campaign and let social media see if it can get you there. I'd hate to see a project with so much potential vanish without making every effort to survive.

[Posting same time as bitter]
I don't know how to do that, but would listen to any suggestion. Can you PM me to arrange a call, or send me a link to info about how that would be done?

B
BoomTown
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by BoomTown »

Bigbob wrote:Real sorry to hear this boom. Your Uncle Lum bumper stickers will still stand proud on mine and my sons cars. Good luck with your writing.
Thanks Big Bob.
bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

Boom for kickstarter look at https://www.kickstarter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow maybe find an example similar to what you woudl do. also good to see what works what does not.

B
Mikey-moo
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Mikey-moo »

bitter wrote:Boom for kickstarter look at https://www.kickstarter.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow maybe find an example similar to what you woudl do. also good to see what works what does not.

B
I don't think you're allowed to offer alcohol as a 'reward' on Kickstarter. Never seen it done anyway...
Best place to start for newbies - click here - Courtesy of Cranky :-)

If you have used this site to save money by making your own top quality booze at home then please consider donating a couple of dollars to help keep this site running. Cheers!