Rating Commercial Moonshine

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Jimbo
retired

Re: Rating Commercial Moonshine

Post by Jimbo »

T-Pee wrote:When I was in Las Vegas for the S.H.O.T. show I picked up a bottle of wheat whiskey from Las Vegas Distillery on a recommendation from Corene. A damned fine pleasant surprise! A bit of a bourbon goodness and very smooth. Not cheap but well worth it.

tp
Nice, did you visit George at the 'stillery?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

Didn't get the chance to drop by as I wasn't in the driver's seat, unfortunately. I did find a bottle of the good stuff at a local likker shop near the hotel though. It was soundly approved of.

Went with a few other guys and a couple of them are also distillers that brought their own. I had some 2 year old UJ to share that got a :thumbup: .

tp
TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by TedL »

I've had Tim Smiths Climax Moonshine and I didn't think it was too bad. Bought a few bottles of it and one bottle tasted like he used too much sugar in his wash and ran the still too fast. But the other bottle I had wasn't bad, maybe it was a good batch but you could smell all of the grain...the corn, rye and a little bit of barley. It didn't taste bad. Maybe I just got a good batch.
Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

i like midnight moon.can't get it in canada.bought it in new hampshire
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
TedL
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by TedL »

dukethebeagle120 wrote:i like midnight moon.can't get it in canada.bought it in new hampshire
I believe midnight moon is just neutral grain spirits made from corn that's proofed down. It's not the real stuff
Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.
Rain Distillate
Swill Maker

Post by Rain Distillate »

joeyfla wrote:So what have you tried? Anything worth tasting? When I travel I leave my stuff at home and take some commercial.
Why not keep the commercial shine jars and fill with your shine for trips? How they gonna tell whose whose?just be sure to keep commercial label in tact :D
dukethebeagle120
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by dukethebeagle120 »

TedL wrote:
dukethebeagle120 wrote:i like midnight moon.can't get it in canada.bought it in new hampshire
I believe midnight moon is just neutral grain spirits made from corn that's proofed down. It's not the real stuff
i know but the wife likes it the best.
alot less corny
its better to think like a fool but keep your mouth shut,then to open ur mouth and have it confirmed
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

dukethebeagle120 wrote:
TedL wrote:
i know but the wife likes it the best.
alot less corny
As my grandma used to say "aint no accounting for some peoples taste...
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

DBCFlash wrote:
FullySilenced wrote:toss the old smokey it old smoke suxs... tasted several versions... i did a write up on it a while back it was so good i spit it all over the side of the wifes car and got my asssss chewed..
I got a jar full of Ole Smokey and it was practically undrinkable. One of the nastiest things I've ever had in my mouth, and I've had some nasty things in my mouth.

But...I tried aging it in a small charred barrel, and it's actually rather drinkable after a few weeks. I just can't bring myself to throw it away.
I revisited my aged, oaked Ole Smokey and after three weeks in a small charred barrel and a month and a half in the jar it was actually really nice.
Some men you jest cain't reach...