Rating Commercial Moonshine

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

joeyfla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Rating Commercial Moonshine

Post by joeyfla »

Trying some of Tim Smith's Climax Moonshine brought this mind.... I thought I would rate some of the commercial stuff I've tried.

See Seven Stars Moonshine...so far is my favorite below mine
George Dickel White #1 good but cost $29.99 750ml
Sugarlands Silver
Broadslar Legacy Shine
Firefly Moonshine
Junior Johnson Moonshine
Ole Smokey Tenn Moonshine Lighting
Tim Smith's Climax Moonshine.....just awful. $27.99 750 ml

So what have you tried? Anything worth tasting? When I travel I leave my stuff at home and take some commercial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rgreen2002
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Rating Commercial Moonshine

Post by rgreen2002 »

joeyfla wrote: Tim Smith's Climax Moonshine.....just awful. $27.99 750 ml

LOL!!! Could not agree more. Maybe I got the crap he put furniture in or something but its afwul. I have often wondered if I should throw it in with my next batch to get the alcohol out of it. In another thread I hear that that Tim Smith cinnamon piss is just that...without the cinnamon.

I have Sugarlands Root Beer and for a "specialty" moonshine it isn't too bad. I agree that their silver is OK as well.

None match up to my 4th gen UJ though... :mrgreen:
HD Glossary - Open this
A little spoon feeding *For New & Novice Distillers - start here
BEST WAY TO GET ANSWERS FROM HOME DISTILLER
"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is."
dieselduo
Rumrunner

Post by dieselduo »

Try popcorn suttons, nothing but tails. Nastiest thing I ever bought
wtfdskin
Swill Maker

Post by wtfdskin »

Yea did a blindfold comparison with some store bought. Definately all you can taste is tails in popcorns
MDH
Distiller

Post by MDH »

Buffalo Trace occasionally releases a newmake that's decent. I had it at an event.
The still is not a liar. Mash and ferment quality is 99.9% of your performance.
bronctoad
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bronctoad »

???????? George Dickle, again George Dickle???????? I bought a bottle of that to compare to my 1st ujssm ferment that was my first to tip back, after distilling. through all the burning on spoons, watchin temps, checkin my parrot, splashin on my fingers an waving my arms around to smell, I thought yep this is gonna taste just like that bottle of Dickle :thumbdown: . Yuck... just yuck. Thought I was gonna be done distilling, If this is what "real shine was gonna taste like, three days later, after airing with coffee filters mixing with my un-experienced taste buds, cutting to 80-85 proof. :D WOW holy smokes I like this. checked the Dickle :x Yup still sucks!! WOW my stuff is good...... hooked 8) love doin this, didn't want to be a whiskey snob it just happened :thumbup: . And I'm just a rookie non qual learning ropes as I go. there is no way I could rate the BS stuff that is being sold as "shine" on the market when a first attempt( thanks to this site and all the prolific posters) blows away the only 2 store boughts that I've tried. I'm good :wave:
PS the other one I tried when my boy took leave from SC and brought me a bottle of tim smiths. still got the bottle :(
sorry for the rant , little in my cups :D happy days :wave:

bronctoad
Last edited by bronctoad on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cob
Master of Distillation

Post by cob »

I saw 2 jars of midnight moon apple pie in the discount bin at the store yesterday, just walked away.
be water my friend
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

I'd be willing to bet that just about anyone that is willing to read and can follow directions found on this site could do better than the commercial shine being sold on their first attempt.
Remember not to blow yourself up,you only get to forget once!

Deo Vendice

Never eat Mexican food north or east of Dallas tx!
Truckinbutch
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Post by Truckinbutch »

jb-texshine wrote:I'd be willing to bet that just about anyone that is willing to read and can follow directions found on this site could do better than the commercial shine being sold on their first attempt.
Ain't no doubt on my part .
If you ain't the lead dog in the team , the scenery never changes . Ga Flatwoods made my avatar and I want to thank him for that .
Don't drink water , fish fornicate in it .
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Over the past couple of years I have really drifted away from wanting to drink any of the lower caliber store bought "moonshine" product unless they also are making legitimate AG whiskies.

*Blaum Bros. Distilling out of Chicago makes great spirits. Those guys are pretty fanatical. Their "moonshine" iteration is top on my list.
*Last Straw Distillery in Ontario Canada does a great job.
*Uncle Lums did a really great "white" whiskey.

I've had some really good UJSSM from members here but would only spend money on a true all grain at this point.
Trample the injured and hurdle the dead.
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Anybody tried jack Daniels unaged rye or Jim beams Jacobs ghost? The ghost seems to be beams normal grain bill as a white dog and reasonable priced. The unaged rye by JD is an excellent example of overpriced but its also a totally new grain bill for JD. I would probably try both.
Jbt

Deo Vendice

FullySilenced
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by FullySilenced »

toss the old smokey it old smoke suxs... tasted several versions... i did a write up on it a while back it was so good i spit it all over the side of the wifes car and got my asssss chewed..
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Same with the "shine on Georgia moon...minus the wife's car,spit,and ass chewing. :ewink:

Deo Vendice

LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

jb-texshine wrote:Anybody tried jack Daniels unaged rye or Jim beams Jacobs ghost? The ghost seems to be beams normal grain bill as a white dog and reasonable priced. The unaged rye by JD is an excellent example of overpriced but its also a totally new grain bill for JD. I would probably try both.
Jbt

I would try that for shits and giggles.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

MDH wrote:Buffalo Trace occasionally releases a newmake that's decent. I had it at an event.
Will beg to differ its not everyday I make an arse out of myself and dry reach in front of a crowd , was only blitzed by Platt Valley moonshin that contains no hearts at all I'm certain :sick:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Platt valley being shit dont suprise me a bit. Made by mccormicks means guaranteed to taste like well straight heads. Most of their products are the plastic bottle bottom shelf 15$ a half gallon type.

Deo Vendice

bitter
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by bitter »

georgia moon - Horrible nasty undrinkable..
North of 7 Distillery White Dog. Very nice all grain sour mash with good cuts. Was tasty!

B
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

dieselduo wrote:Try popcorn suttons, nothing but tails. Nastiest thing I ever bought
Got that right.

But drinking this stuff makes me feel like I need to look over my shoulder for the revenooers!
joeyfla
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by joeyfla »

Wow, thank you for the replies...I was amazed to see Tim Smith on "Moonshiners" taste his stuff and say that's good. I just can't say that. Mines a version of Uncle Jessie's and is much better than commercial. A sweet feed seemed a tad better..... but can't get it at Tractor Supply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

Couple years ago when I was doing a heap of bourbon runs I bottled up a few quarts of white. Forgot about em till recently and took a taste and thought to myself, '... wonder if we could sell a white bourbon as a shine'. But frankly I dont have enough experience with moonshines, good or bad to have a valid opinion whether this shit has a market there.

Its AG. Its 70% corn, the rest being wheat and barley. And its mashed and fermented carefully. I think its good but like I said, WTF do I know. :think:

We need another get together so I can pass the quart jar around and watch your facial expressions :lol:
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
aircarbonarc
Swill Maker

Post by aircarbonarc »

See Seven stars is just NGS, diluted and steeped in corn. I got a bottle of Prichards a few years ago, thought it was a tad heavy in the tails and overpriced. I don't like to brag and I'm sure none of you guys want to seem like your heads are overinflated but my corn liquor is way better than most of this store bought crap and I'm sure most of our homemade corn liquor is alot better. I've always thought that if you have to mix your liquor with apple juice or something to make it drinkable then you've got problems.
long live Oldsmobile Aleros
jb-texshine
Master of Distillation

Post by jb-texshine »

Backwoods: havent tasted the white but the pecan pie is very tasty. Couldnt detect heads until the next morning. Id buy it again but mostly to try to pick the flavors apart to try and replicate it,plus it comes in a cool jug :wink:
Jbt

Deo Vendice

Kareltje
Distiller

Post by Kareltje »

Which brings me again to my question: why are people buying moonshine?
1) it is illegal.
2) it is expensive.
3) it is disgusting.
Why not go to a legal shop and buy some legal, well priced and tasty liquor?
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

Commercial shine is actually legal, cheap and may or may not be disgusting. Actual moonshine is illegal over hear generally cheaper than store bought and if its bad that fella won't be around long.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Benjamin Franklin
LWTCS
Site Mod

Post by LWTCS »

Jimbo wrote:Couple years ago when I was doing a heap of bourbon runs I bottled up a few quarts of white. Forgot about em till recently and took a taste and thought to myself, '... wonder if we could sell a white bourbon as a shine'. But frankly I dont have enough experience with moonshines, good or bad to have a valid opinion whether this shit has a market there.

Its AG. Its 70% corn, the rest being wheat and barley. And its mashed and fermented carefully. I think its good but like I said, WTF do I know. :think:

We need another get together so I can pass the quart jar around and watch your facial expressions :lol:
I think they'd do just fine if they was distilled just like lots of folks here likely do em.
Drive the purity up a bit on the plated column enough to give a bright mouth feel and still allow for grain notes to carry over. I bet 5 or 6 plates makes a nice white whiskey.
Jimbo
retired

Post by Jimbo »

LWTCS wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Couple years ago when I was doing a heap of bourbon runs I bottled up a few quarts of white. Forgot about em till recently and took a taste and thought to myself, '... wonder if we could sell a white bourbon as a shine'. But frankly I dont have enough experience with moonshines, good or bad to have a valid opinion whether this shit has a market there.

I think they'd do just fine if they was distilled just like lots of folks here likely do em.
Drive the purity up a bit on the plated column enough to give a bright mouth feel and still allow for grain notes to carry over. I bet 5 or 6 plates makes a nice white whiskey.
+1 thanks Larry. Yup. I'd tighten up a bit on the tails. I like a bit of tails in the barrel to age. But no place for it in a white. The couple years age above did a nice job on it, but half the point of a white is to push something out the door NOW to pay for the hotdogs and ramen while the bourbon is aging?
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. But in practice there is.
My Bourbon and Single Malt recipes. Apple Stuff and Electric Conversion
DBCFlash
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by DBCFlash »

FullySilenced wrote:toss the old smokey it old smoke suxs... tasted several versions... i did a write up on it a while back it was so good i spit it all over the side of the wifes car and got my asssss chewed..
I got a jar full of Ole Smokey and it was practically undrinkable. One of the nastiest things I've ever had in my mouth, and I've had some nasty things in my mouth.

But...I tried aging it in a small charred barrel, and it's actually rather drinkable after a few weeks. I just can't bring myself to throw it away.
Some men you jest cain't reach...
seamusm53
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by seamusm53 »

Not my first comment on this thread.

I suspect the general interest in shine has to do with the cable show. I also think it is very educational for HD'ers to buy the stuff and develop an appreciation for taste and cut differences and the value of proper oaking and ageing white lightning.

Just wish I could buy the stuff in those tiny one-drink bottles. Don't need a fifth of crap taking up space. Once tasted, the Sutton peepee is being added to the next spirit run.
thecroweater
retired

Post by thecroweater »

yup what Jumbo said. The best place to cut is entirely dependant one what ya intend to do with it, leaving white cut it tight :thumbup:
T-Pee
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by T-Pee »

When I was in Las Vegas for the S.H.O.T. show I picked up a bottle of wheat whiskey from Las Vegas Distillery on a recommendation from Corene. A damned fine pleasant surprise! A bit of a bourbon goodness and very smooth. Not cheap but well worth it.

tp