Youtube: "The Science of Whiskey" (Good for newbies)

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Youtube: "The Science of Whiskey" (Good for newbies)

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Anthony Caporale: "The Science (and some History) of Whiskey" | Talks at Google

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62wiHp1xgRI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" rel="nofollow
Pikey
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Youtube: "The Science of Whiskey" (Good for newbies)

Post by Pikey »

Did you watch that SMV ?

I may be "picky" but I saw a number of things I would be very unhappy for Newbies to learn, only to have to unlearn them later.

-He definitely says that if you heat a pot still to 175 F - all the aclohol boils off and all the water is left in the still

-He definitely says that "Moonshiners will not have heard of heads and tails and so the stuff they produce will make you sick and send you blind"

-He definitely says that you can distil up to 99% abv "or higher"

There are others (which I can't remember ), but my overall impression is that he is "Sales" and really knows nothing of the distillation process.

I enjoyed some of the "Types of Scotch and history stuff", but ended up switching off a few minutes before the end when he was saying he "Couldn't remember whether the methanol was in heads or tails and he would only get it wrong..." .............Which he would of course - but not for the reason he was thinking !

Sorry to be a downer mate - :(
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Re: Youtube: "The Science of Whiskey" (Good for newbies)

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

No worries, I understand. It has a lot of issues but for a hour long intro it's not bad. For someone that has no background it's a start in the right direction.
Pikey wrote:-He definitely says that if you heat a pot still to 175 F - all the alcohol boils off and all the water is left in the still
I wanted to scream "MISCIBILITY!" at the screen when he was saying that.