Paper: Temperature dependent functionality of Brettanomyces

Research sources, reviews and links to information relating to distillation.

Moderator: Site Moderator

Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Paper: Temperature dependent functionality of Brettanomyces

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

https://www.escarpmentlabs.com/single-p ... -the-Brett (Yes it's a blog post but it's about their paper.)
Brettanomyces is used in a wide range of beers to produce its signature funky and fruity aromas. The funk mostly comes from volatile phenol compounds, like 4-ethylguaiacol (wood smoke, bacon) and 4-ethylphenol (band-aid, barnyard). The fruitiness comes from esters, especially the "fatty acid esters" ethyl caproate, ethyl caprylate, and ethy decanoate, which offer up a host of pineapple and orchard fruit aromas.
This is the critical challenge of Brett primary fermentation: it's slow. Even with an ideal strain under ideal conditions, the fermentations took at least three weeks.
I haven't messed with Brett at all. It also is something I'm not sure would be a good choice for spirits. I would like to try it sometime but that may be far into the future.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Re: Paper: Temperature dependent functionality of Brettanomyces

Post by fizzix »

I haven't used Brett either, but my brew shop carries Brettanomyces Lambicus & Brettanomyces Bruxellensis (the wine strain) by Wyeast.
A little costlier. Where other mainstream Wyeast (0.5-lb) yeasts are $8.60, the Bretts run $14.00 for the same 0.5-lb.
And then there's this interesting blend of 6 Bretts the brew shop carries:

Brett Amalgamation.JPG
So... fruity flavor, long 3-week fermentation, make a starter, and maybe add a little Saccharomyces.
Thanks for the post, Yinz!
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I have tried a few drinks made with bret, but they have all had a weird, horse/saddle bag like smell.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

Odin wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:47 pm I have tried a few drinks made with bret, but they have all had a weird, horse/saddle bag like smell.
Ha! One of the funky phenol aromas WAS described as "barnyard."
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

VERY barnyard. I even think there is this cowboy tale about horse-fermented drinks? I always thought it had nothing to do with the horse, but was probably brett fermented, which makes it smell like horse and saddlebags.

One other thing I can share about brett is that it is considered the Hummer of yeast. It munches up everything. Even very complex, unmashed sugars. Or so I heard. Never tested it myself, since - even if it were true - I feel the benefits do not outweigh the flavor negatives.

Odin.
"Great art is created only through diligent and painstaking effort to perfect and polish oneself." by Buddhist filosofer Daisaku Ikeda.
fizzix
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by fizzix »

While the article is still a good read, I just quit a snobby beer club that prescribed the stinkiest, foul beers as projects,
so I think I'll skip the Brett brew for now. Thanks for further insight into this interesting yeast, Odin. Good input.
Single Malt Yinzer
Trainee

Post by Single Malt Yinzer »

Yeah that's why I haven't played with Brett too much. Maybe try a batch of all/most Brett and then blend it to see what % makes it funky without being too much rodeo. I haven't heard of anyone doing an all Brett spirit yet. That kinda worries me as the flavors in beer may get enhanced into a ultra horsey aroma/flavor.
Odin
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post by Odin »

I remember the one drink, with the brett smell all over it, also gave me the mother of all hangovers. Not sure if that can be attributed to the brett or to other things, but it is worth mentioning. So much so, to me personally, that when I smell it, no, I'll pass and won't even take a sip.

But some experiments to polish up brett's reputation (with me) is encouraged. Maybe with good fermentation control and cuts it can perform well enough. Its just not me who is going to test that! :)

Odin.