Winding a Coil Condenser

Moderator: Site Moderator

midlife_rebel
Bootlegger

Re: Winding a Coil Condenser

Post by midlife_rebel »

Sounds good Bushman....patience is the key. Too bad there are no tricks to make it easier.
Then again, if all we are after is easy, we wouldn't make our own

thanks for the replay...back to the boiling/air blowing
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

midlife_rebel wrote:Sounds good Bushman....patience is the key. Too bad there are no tricks to make it easier.
Then again, if all we are after is easy, we wouldn't make our own

thanks for the replay...back to the boiling/air blowing
I also put a compression fitting on one end so I did not have to hold my airhose the whole time. I think if you build another one silica sand (fine sand used for sandblasting) is easier to remove.
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

(ADMIN NOTE)

This post was taken offline, a few days back, because the HD admins had been made aware that the externally hosted files had been hijacked by some hacker. We took this post offline as soon as this information was made available to us, and contacted the OP (HookLine) to get correct document copies of the original attachments. We have gotten those files from HookLine, and now the files are hosted ON HD, so there should be no chance of them being hacked again.

The files are now a .PDF (of the original full file), and a .doc and a .webarchive that have been split up, to be small enough to meet the HD size constraints for file attachments. The files now live INSIDE of the HD servers, so are not available for some script kiddie hacker to hijack.

We are not exactly sure when the file hijack took place, but we were informed around the 14th of March. This has been a VERY active thread, so it is not likely it was hijacked very long (I personally downloaded a copy Feb 2 of this year, and the files were intact at that time). However, if you have recently downloaded the files from this thread, OR if you downloaded them, and they did not open like a document should, then by all means, remove the files you downloaded, obtain new fresh copies from the first post of this thread, and scan your computer, for viruses/malware.

H.
Hillbilly Rebel: Unless you are one of the people on this site who are legalling distilling, keep a low profile, don't tell, don't sell.
samwell
Novice

Post by samwell »

Bushman wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:40 am Then with a combination of rolling and using my compressor with a small needle nose handle I blew the rest of the salt out (took about 20 min not the six hours some people reported). I tried to upload a picture but not sure how to upload an image to the board.
Hey bushman,

What PSI do your recommend and did you just hold the air compressor by hand the whole time or did you have some fitting that you connected?

Cheers
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

It’s been years but i believe it was 80 or above. I held it by hand but had a small nozzle on my line.
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

Here’s what I make my coils on. It started out as a hand crank powered machine, when I relied on my son to power it. Next I added the second gear reduction, power drill, and shoestring foot pedal so I could run this on my own. It can make single or double would coils for 2” and 3” columns, respectively.
Otis’ Coil making machine
Otis’ Coil making machine
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Twisted Brick
Master of Distillation

Post by Twisted Brick »

OtisT wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:34 am Here’s what I make my coils on. It started out as a hand crank powered machine, when I relied on my son to power it. Next I added the second gear reduction, power drill, and shoestring foot pedal so I could run this on my own. It can make single or double would coils for 2” and 3” columns, respectively.
2A1400BC-4A7B-47C9-A8FC-889CFFE17B10.jpeg
Great looking rig Otis!
“Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore, always carry a small snake.”

- W.C. Fields

My EZ Solder Shotgun
My Steam Rig and Manometer
samwell
Novice

Post by samwell »

Bushman wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:17 am It’s been years but i believe it was 80 or above. I held it by hand but had a small nozzle on my line.

That helps.

Thanks Bushman
samwell
Novice

Post by samwell »

OtisT wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 8:34 am Here’s what I make my coils on. It started out as a hand crank powered machine, when I relied on my son to power it. Next I added the second gear reduction, power drill, and shoestring foot pedal so I could run this on my own. It can make single or double would coils for 2” and 3” columns, respectively.
2A1400BC-4A7B-47C9-A8FC-889CFFE17B10.jpeg
Very nice setup
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Low tech done by a guy with 2 badly broken wrist. I started by filling 20' of 3/8" copper tubing with dry clean sand. I then tied a broomstick to a fence post. I leaned outwards a walked around the post. I then slide this PVC pipe over the coil continued to wrap . I used up 14' for this rc. Took less then 45 min total for 2 coils.

If you have a slight kink you can reround the tubing using a crescent wrench.
Tōtō
Attachments
ImgResizer_20230824_1356_33039.jpg
IMG20231120155626.jpg
ImgResizer_20230824_1416_04999.jpg
Si vis pacem, para bellum
samwell
Novice

Post by samwell »

Bushman wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:17 am It’s been years but i believe it was 80 or above. I held it by hand but had a small nozzle on my line.
I’m sitting here with a compressor and nozzle end trying to push out this salt and don’t see it budging. Should I just have it connected to one end the whole time and try to have as much pressurize going through it as possible?

Edit: been about 20 or so minutes and I’ve had no luck getting anything out. Consistent 60-90 PSI with the occasional break and nothing seems to be budging. Going to resign from this and try again some other time. Maybe my method is poor.
Karstr
Novice

Post by Karstr »

If you attach water, under pressure, want it eventually dissolve, and remove the salt?
samwell
Novice

Post by samwell »

Karstr wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:26 pm If you attach water, under pressure, want it eventually dissolve, and remove the salt?
That's going to be my next step. I'm in a bit of a pickle because the water lines for the garden hoses outside haven't been turned on. I'll try and hook something up to my shower head next unless there is a better method with this compressor.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

That is why I switched from salt to fine sandblasting sand. If I remember right I would run the compressor for a while, then rolled and shook it then back to the compressor. The salt will eventually come out but it's a lot of work.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Bushman wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:05 pm That is why I switched from salt to fine sandblasting sand. If I remember right I would run the compressor for a while, then rolled and shook it then back to the compressor. The salt will eventually come out but it's a lot of work.
I just hooked my coil to a water line and walked away. Came back later and it was clear. It really isn't a "lot of work". Actually it's more of a no fuss method.
Bushman
Admin

Post by Bushman »

Salt Must Flow wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:36 pm
Bushman wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:05 pm That is why I switched from salt to fine sandblasting sand. If I remember right I would run the compressor for a while, then rolled and shook it then back to the compressor. The salt will eventually come out but it's a lot of work.
I just hooked my coil to a water line and walked away. Came back later and it was clear. It really isn't a "lot of work". Actually it's more of a no fuss method.
Since I built my 4” shotgun condenser 10 years ago I haven’t built a coil. Glad it worked for you, You must of had some way to connect a line to the coil. If I remember right I tried pouring water into the tube when I first started and was using salt.
Salt Must Flow
Distiller

Post by Salt Must Flow »

Bushman wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:49 pm
Since I built my 4” shotgun condenser 10 years ago I haven’t built a coil. Glad it worked for you, You must of had some way to connect a line to the coil. If I remember right I tried pouring water into the tube when I first started and was using salt.
Yup, that's the problem right there. Water pressure does the job, dissolves it and clears it out over a relatively short period of time.
samwell
Novice

Post by samwell »

I think that's the best way. I borrowed an air compressor and didn't have luck... then I soldered two fittings together and tried connecting my coil to my shower head and after 45 mins or 1 hour it was clear! Goes to show that you don't even need a garden hose and that a regular shower that pumps 2.5 gallons per minute will do the trick :D Very happy and I know for sure I've got easily 1 liter per minute now from my coil.
Karstr
Novice

Post by Karstr »

samwell wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 11:59 pm
I think that's the best way. I borrowed an air compressor and didn't have luck... then I soldered two fittings together and tried connecting my coil to my shower head and after 45 mins or 1 hour it was clear! Goes to show that you don't even need a garden hose and that a regular shower that pumps 2.5 gallons per minute will do the trick :D Very happy and I know for sure I've got easily 1 liter per minute now from my coil.
I made this one today. Filled with salt. Attached water line from the kitchen faucet. After less then 5min it cleared out the salt. Not bad for a first try?😁
Attachments
20240219_212316.jpg
samwell
Novice

Post by samwell »

Karstr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:31 pm
I made this one today. Filled with salt. Attached water line from the kitchen faucet. After less then 5min it cleared out the salt. Not bad for a first try?😁
Great to hear. Are you building a Bokakob? CCVM? I literally just finished my boka today :)
Karstr
Novice

Post by Karstr »

samwell wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:19 pm
Karstr wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:31 pm

Great to hear. Are you building a Bokakob? CCVM? I literally just finished my boka today :)
I was aiming for a combo. LM/VM, but after many advice in here, I will go for VM
Karstr
Novice

Post by Karstr »

I hope it's okay to post this question without starting a new thread. I have made this single coil. Some mentions a "cold finger" to improve the effectiveness. Can I just slide a copper pipe inside and solder it? Or do I have to connect it, so it gets water-filled?
Attachments
20240220_161639.jpg
OtisT
Master of Distillation

Post by OtisT »

I don’t think you need to do that. There is already plenty of copper surface area and mass in there. As long as your flow is good that condenser should work just fine as is.
Otis’ Pot and Thumper, Dimroth Condenser: Pot-n-Thumper/Dimroth
Learning to Toast: Toasting Wood
Polishing Spirits with Fruitwood: Fruitwood
Badmotivator’s Barrels: Badmo Barrels
Tōtōchtin

Post by Tōtōchtin »

Karstr wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:17 am I hope it's okay to post this question without starting a new thread. I have made this single coil. Some mentions a "cold finger" to improve the effectiveness. Can I just slide a copper pipe inside and solder it? Or do I have to connect it, so it gets water-filled?
I had the same idea, I put the tube up the inner coil. It was so tight it was/is hard to remove so I think I have good contact. I figured even though it wasn't chilled with water it was cooler then the vapor and would help direct some flow to the center of the column/riser.
Tōtō
Attachments
IMG20231119165727~3.jpg
IMG20231119191450~2.jpg
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Karstr
Novice

Post by Karstr »

Tōtōchtin wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 12:25 pm
Karstr wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:17 am I hope it's okay to post this question without starting a new thread. I have made this single coil. Some mentions a "cold finger" to improve the effectiveness. Can I just slide a copper pipe inside and solder it? Or do I have to connect it, so it gets water-filled?
I had the same idea, I put the tube up the inner coil. It was so tight it was/is hard to remove so I think I have good contact. I figured even though it wasn't chilled with water it was cooler then the vapor and would help direct some flow to the center of the column/riser.
Tōtō
My plan was to solder it to the spiral, to get better heat-transfer