How do you make a car rim burner?

Moderator: Site Moderator

homebuilt
Novice

How do you make a car rim burner?

Post by homebuilt »

Id be interested in how you made it . if ya don't mind sharing.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

hey homebuilt, no problem at all sharing here bud . and yes it is a car (truck rim 16 incher .. I used a burner from a new turkey cooker I got fleabay here and I removed the burner assembly and welded a small thin plate over the hole in center of rim and drilled a small hole straight through that to mount my burner to , reason I went to this much trouble was the turkey fryer was just not sturdy enough for me to sit a keg on plus it added too much to the height of it as well ,i would like to take credit for the design but I cannot I think t was Uncle Remus maybe or one of the others that I saw thats how they did it .. I also cut some short angles pieces and welded them to the edge of the rim to hold the keg up off the rim a little for air also .. I will take some more shots if needed ..oh yeah the legs are just short pieces of 1 ich tublar steel with flat pieces welded at bottom for support in soft ground .. whole thing took about an hours to cut and weld together ..but it was well worth it its rock solid ..I hope this answers ya questions my whole construction of everything is ideas and suggestions that I have found here and also Bokakob was a trendmous help in the still design ..and I cant thank Uncle Remus enough for the guidiece with the wash ...and there are others as well too many to name them all lol But I must say thank you all ..
homebuilt
Novice

Post by homebuilt »

thanks. i should be able to figure it out, but if ya don't mind taking a couple more pic's that would be great. wouldn't hurt to have the info on here for others to see either.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

As requested ,

Cardsharp

Post by Cardsharp »

Thats pretty cool. I was wonderin what ya's were talking about when I read this earlier. Nice work.
homebuilt
Novice

Post by homebuilt »

looks nice, thanks for the extra pic's. it's defianatly alot sturdier than the turkey fryer's. i guess i just gotta get myself moving and get one built.
woftam
Novice

rim burner

Post by woftam »

i like it very cool idea great pics also
u got me thin king now :(
Wast
Of
f******
Time
And
Money
hoochinoo
Swill Maker

Post by hoochinoo »

new_moonshiner,

When this model is gonna be available in the store for me to buy one!!?

Will there be a chrome colored one I can get?

Cheers.
Uncle Jesse
Site Admin

Wow

Post by Uncle Jesse »

Very nice.
If only the best birds sang, the woods would be silent.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

thanks for the kinds words there guys, like I say I just put this thing together In about an hour , theres not much to it but works really nice could be used for stock pots as well you would just need little longer L brackets .
moppy
Novice

Post by moppy »

I ourta convert my old turkey fryer to that. Much more stable than the cheap-ass thing we have.

Nice post :).
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Actually I remember seeing Uncle Remus showing some pics some time back and that car or truck rim caught my eye ,its a very good idea for sure ,but I cant take the credit for it I just borrowed the idea . here is the thread
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... ght=#12755
Rebel_Yell
Swill Maker

Post by Rebel_Yell »

That's nice conversion work. I reccomend that you pull the tire weight off. It contains lead.
I would rather teach a pig to sing than argue with an Idiot.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Good eye Rebel Yell...lol it has been removed since the pic was taken...
Uncle Remus
Trainee

Post by Uncle Remus »

Looks shockingly familiar New Moon :shock: Mines got a bigger cast iron burner (I think around 350,000- 400,000 BTU) and now runs on NG (oh man I hope Hank Hill isn't reading this :oops: )
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day and drink beer.
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Hey there Uncle Remus ya right ..looks similar huh lol I remembered seeing that photo some time ago.. and saying now thats a sturdy rig.. and sturdy is for sure needed in this hobby ,when supporting a pot of fuel if ya know what i mean ..best I remember you used a burner from a furnace maybe ,or something along those lines , I just purchased a turkey fryer and used the burner from that , I think it maxed at 125000 btuh..yeah you right about Hank Hill propane is the way to go.lol
Cardsharp

Post by Cardsharp »

Pffft NG....bastard gas!!!
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

lmao@Cardsharp....... :lol:
homebuilt
Novice

Post by homebuilt »

i just finished mine up and figured i'd put a couple of pic's up. my burner is out of a 50 gal hot water heater. it'll bring 5 gal's of water to a boil in less than 15 minutes.
2003_0119still0012.jpg
2003_0119still0013.jpg
2003_0119still0014.jpg
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

what?!?!?, no chrome?

(hahaha, Looks great to me!)

H.
rezaxis
Swill Maker

Post by rezaxis »

What did you do to weld the cast iron burner to the steel wheel?

Rez
Shine on!
new_moonshiner
Trainee

Post by new_moonshiner »

Great Job .... makes me kinda wish mine had the 426 Hemi under th hood :lol:
homebuilt
Novice

Post by homebuilt »

in the center of the rim there's a piece of angle iron that a couple of pins on the burner set into.

where the burner goes through the rim i just welded it with my mig welder. i only welded a small section on the top on bottom to lesson the chances of it cracking, but plenty to hold it. i enclosed the rest of the hole with some heavy gauge sheet metal welded to the rim and hammered over tight to the burner. the hole doesn't really need to be enclosed around the burner, i just thought it would look a bit better.
buggy66
Novice

rim burner

Post by buggy66 »

When welding steel to cast iron --take torch and heat cast up some and use mig welder-- be careful though --to much in one area and she will break loose at weld-- you can also use a stick [arc] welder with nickle rods. They also make rods special for cast iron but nickel rods work and are easier to use.
wineo
Distiller

Post by wineo »

Boy,that looks good.I need one.It would be nice to not have to take those propane tanks in for a refill,and speed up my heating time.Time to find a water heater to scrap.
wineo
buggy66
Novice

rim burner

Post by buggy66 »

I use propane on my pot 15 gal pot still and get three runs ,mash and three runs distilling on a 30lbs cylinder. It could be expensive but I have a way around that! I work for a camper sales and get propane free. It helps!It is also very easy to regulate temps---Water and electricity gets expensive too.
travis
Novice

Brazing Cast Iron to Steel/Copper/brass etc.

Post by travis »

To "Braze" cast iron together or to copper, steel etc.
You will need Brazing rods, preferably ready fluxed, if not brass rods & a tin of powdereed flux 7 & a hot torch.

Heat the cast iron & steel (etc) to a "Cherry Red" then melt in the Brazing rod around the joint. , then "leave" it to cool, do not quench in water etc.

If the Brazing rods are not ready fluxed, heat up the rod until no more than red then dip it in the powdered flux, then run the rod into the joint where the flame is.

NB Do not melt the Cast Iron etc. only heat to a Cherry Red" back off the torch if need be.

Regards Travis
Husker
retired

Post by Husker »

I am with Travis on this. I have not had too good of success welding cast, but it brazes with bronze flux'd rod VERY good, and is very strong for a purpose like this. Brazing is not as strong as the original base metal, but it is still mighty strong. It will join cast iron, to steel, also copper/brass to steel (or cast iron). Other than just a little weaker join, I like brazing over welding for many tasks (especially with dis similar materials). I look at it as soldering on steriods.

H.
binclintonusa
Novice

Re: How do you make a car rim burner?

Post by binclintonusa »

I cant thank Uncle Remus enough for the guidiece with the wash. :D

pret auto
blanikdog
Angel's Share
Angel's Share

Re: How do you make a car rim burner?

Post by blanikdog »

Gotta make one of these. My Heath Robinson set up works, but this is sooooo much better.

Good work guys.

blanik
Simple potstiller. Slow, single run.
(50 litre, propane heated pot still. Coil in bucket condenser - No thermometer, No carbon)
The Reading Lounge AND the Rules We Live By should be compulsory reading

Cumudgeon and loving it.